“Here she comes, Miss America...”

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Geez, are you guys so thin skinned that you can’t take a knock at ‘manifest destiny’ from an Irish sailing enthusiast whose not really interested in withholding a dissenting opinion.
That was very artfully said fufkin!  Maybe you should consider a career in Politics? :rolleyes:

fufkin

Super Anarchist
There is a very visible difference between people with a dissenting opinion and vitriolic internet trolls who stir up shit for their personal gratification.

Some participants here have gone far, far beyond a knock at Manifest Destiny into direct attacks on individuals.  It doesn't bother me a single jot if you think that I'm fragile because I've decided that I'm done rolling in the mud with such people.

And here I thought I was contributing to the civility of this discussion area by ceasing to engage in political shouting matches. It seems that there's no pleasing some people.
On this thread at least, someone offered a dissenting opinion, not a personal attack, and you suggested a better option would be to block him and he told you off. Big deal.

And, here is the vitriol that prompted you to haughtily thank another poster for not quoting. Reads more like a very basic (if oft repeated) opinion to me.

that, and providing a nice toy for the military classes.  This ship is as good as any other to maintain the pretence that there is some actual purpose to their existence.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Sorry, allow me to clarify-  When I mentioned dissenting opinions, vitriol and personal attacks, I was referring to several threads long before this one came along.  This thread has actually been less acidic than the previous discussions that came to mind when I posted above.

If I was "told off" I missed it because the offender is on "Ignore."   No, I don't consider the quote above to be a "personal attack."  The reason that the conversation never devolved that far, is because the person is on Ignore.  In a roundabout way, I even agreed because I made a lengthy post about recent failed US Navy programs.

Either way, it seems that I'm between the Devil and the deep blue sea- If I do not use the "Ignore" function and engage the troll, I'll spend time being accused of all sorts of heinous behavior and generally bringing down the civility of the forum. If I do use the "Ignore" function, I'm labeled a snowflake who can't handle a dissenting opinion.

Since my personal health and mental well being is of more value to me than some internet stranger's opinion of me, I'll opt to use the "Ignore" function and avoid engaging the troll.  Of course, I cannot stop anyone from quoting the person and that's fine. I'll do my best to refrain from reading the quotes or stay out of the thread entirely which is a sort of de-facto banishment...

...which is exactly the sort of behavior that I was accused of when I suggested the "Ignore" function to others who expressed frustration with the forum user.

Fascinating how that works.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
ajax_revenge.png

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Some participants here have gone far, far beyond a knock at Manifest Destiny into direct attacks on individuals. 

Nope, the sewer has overflowed into the streets.
Ajax, you have repeatedly chosen to make personal attacks on me, and to try to cancel me because i dont share your views.

So please stop whining that I finally had enough, and have commented directly on your motives.  if you persist in personalised insults ("the sewer" etc), I will expand on my comments.

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
Yes, end the uncivil war .. by dismantling the weapons, and desisting from making new ones.
Hey, defending Ireland ain’t cheap. “America” will not let Ireland fall!!! Remember what happened when the Vikings invaded and got frisky, and it was blue eyes all around for a thousand years. Never again!

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Hey, defending Ireland ain’t cheap. “America” will not let Ireland fall!!! Remember what happened when the Vikings invaded and got frisky, and it was blue eyes all around for a thousand years. Never again!
I know you were trying to be humorous, but in fact there is only one time in history that America has defended Ireland; the early 1990s, when the Clinton Administration applied heavy and crucial pressure on the Brits to make peace in Northern Ireland.   That was very valuable, and saved a lot of lives.

Sadly, the time when Ireland most badly needed help, it was refused.  From 1919 to 1921, the democratically-established Irish Republic badly needed the support of the USA to recognise Irish independence as the USA had commendably recognised lots of new independent European states in the aftermath of World War 1.  Ireland lobbied hard for inclusion on that list, but the Wilson Administration preferred to back its British allies ... so Ireland accepted a poor deal from the brits, causing a civil war.

The least you could do now is to celebrate St Brendan, since it was him who discovered America. :)  

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

I know you were trying to be humorous, but in fact there is only one time in history that America has defended Ireland; the early 1990s, when the Clinton Administration applied heavy and crucial pressure on the Brits to make peace in Northern Ireland.   That was very valuable, and saved a lot of lives.

Sadly, the time when Ireland most badly needed help, it was refused.  From 1919 to 1921, the democratically-established Irish Republic badly needed the support of the USA to recognise Irish independence as the USA had commendably recognised lots of new independent European states in the aftermath of World War 1.  Ireland lobbied hard for inclusion on that list, but the Wilson Administration preferred to back its British allies ... so Ireland accepted a poor deal from the brits, causing a civil war.

The least you could do now is to celebrate St Brendan, since it was him who discovered America. :)  

2F8B1A57-0B90-4258-AF51-3582B1F655A8.gif

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
Honestly it was the Vikings who discovered America. 1021 AD. They have songs too.

Sorry about Woodrow Wilson. He wasnt our best, but he did he needed to stay loyal to the Brits at the time, following the Great War we allied with them on JUST prior to your unfortunately timed announcement of independence. And I am aware you were neutral-ish in WWII the big one, going so far as to sell the notion that bombs dropped on Ireland from German planes in the early 1940s were either entirely accidental or not German at all. This contrasted with our view that the Nazis were bad. I like to think American power entering that war at that time kept the Germans from continuing on with the bombings and worse, as at that moment the Brits weren’t ready to do more than play defense for their own account. And there was also the Good Friday/Belfast agreement, we were and are there for that. But yes I was just trying to defuse the situation with humor, so much for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Sorry about Woodrow Wilson. He wasnt our best, but he did he have loyalty to the Brits at the time, following the Great War we allied with them on just prior to your unfortunately timed announcement of independence.
We had been trying for 700 years :D  

I am aware you were neutral-ish in WWII the big one, going so far as to sell the notion that bombs dropped on Ireland from German planes in the early 1940s were either entirely accidental or not German at all.
There was no way in hell that Ireland could survive being drawn into that war, nor ally itself with our former occupiers.  So Neutrality was the only option, and a small country trying to stay out of a big fight has to turn a few blind eyes to infractions of that neutrality.   But we did provide a lot of off-the-record assistance to the Brits: see Irish neutrality during World War II.

Honestly it was the Vikings who discovered America. 1021 AD
Heresy!  

Elegua

Generalissimo
Honestly it was the Vikings who discovered America. 1021 AD. They have songs too.

Sorry about Woodrow Wilson. He wasnt our best, but he did he needed to stay loyal to the Brits at the time, following the Great War we allied with them on JUST prior to your unfortunately timed announcement of independence. And I am aware you were neutral-ish in WWII the big one, going so far as to sell the notion that bombs dropped on Ireland from German planes in the early 1940s were either entirely accidental or not German at all. This contrasted with our view that the Nazis were bad. I like to think American power entering that war at that time kept the Germans from continuing on with the bombings and worse, as at that moment the Brits weren’t ready to do more than play defense for their own account. And there was also the Good Friday/Belfast agreement, we were and are there for that. But yes I was just trying to defuse the situation with humor, so much for that.
Don't forget the very polite condolences they sent to Germany when Hitler died. Or the anti-Semitism, before during and after the war. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I think what you posted clearly fits that description.  I'd love to get into a discussion over why being post-bellum is a great idea as long as your competitors agree, which is why the EU has been so successful in preventing two genocides and one irredentist war on its very periphery, but that would be polemics. :)
And let's not overlook the truly impressive contribution the Irish Army contingent made to the safety of the Kosovans during that particularly nasty civil war... and all the other outstanding successes resulting from Irish participation in 'peacekeeping' activities on foreign soil.

Not to mention the tacit Irish Government policy of territorial expansion by outsourced terrorist activity, including mass murder by bombings on foreign territory.

The reason two legged avoids going anywhere near PA is, she know that she'll get her head handed to her in a far more brutal and ugly fashion than happens here. She wants to sling political shit with impunity and gets all upset when there's pushback.

FKT

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Not to mention the tacit Irish Government policy of territorial expansion by outsourced terrorist activity, including mass murder by bombings on foreign territory.
For goodness sake man, why do you repeatedly make a fool of yourself by making up such malicious nonsense?  I get that you want to be an abusive bully, but why do you repeatedly show yourself to be an unusually stupid troll?  Go find some self-awareness.

Fact: The Irish govt set up a special criminal court (no jury) to ease conviction of IRA members, who can be convicted of IRA membership simply on the word of one senior Garda officer.  Portlaoise prison was full of them. 

The reason two legged avoids going anywhere near PA is, she know that she'll get her head handed to her in a far more brutal and ugly fashion than happens here.
No, FKT, the reason I avoid PA is that its mode of discourse consist primarily of the sort of ignorant, malicious, mendacity which you repeatedly display here on CA, as you have done yet again in your latest post.  You seem to think that you are some sort of brilliant debater, but your repeated lies, fabrications and delusional fantasies just show you to be an angry man with far more gun than brain.  You are not even remotely good at the constructing the lies you spew out: wild shit, easily proven false.

Anyway, once again ... thank you FKT, for being CA's poster-child for the worst sort of thick, macho thug.  Very few people with a mindset as ugly as yours are kind enough to set it out so often and so starkly as your desire to "get her head handed to her in a far more brutal and ugly fashion".  You'd do your own cause more benefit to keep your ugly macho fantasies of violence to yourself.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Cue up the ‘take it to PA’ chorus.
Not from me. 

Mine was a lonely voice for years, trying to keep PA quarantined, knowing that politics can be poison.(plus, I just don't really ever talk politics, excepting in mockery it bores me)

The last time I said "take it to PA" I was told "Fuck off and fuck you", and not one poster here complained. Not one.

Forgive me if I really don't care anymore. I tried. 

Latest posts