“Here she comes, Miss America...”

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
There we go. I was waiting for this thread to start to turn controversial and ugly.

How do you hang an anchor off that bow? And retrieve it? And what kind(s) of anchors should a literal combat ship carry?
You don't. The anchor is a mushroom type that conforms to the hull's profile and retracts into the keel.

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
Good questions. Apparently this is how they do it on subs, so it's not new technology.
Possibly some new ideas, I don't know. I did find this description and rendering on another discussion board:

The anchor for the USS Zumwalt class is released from under the hull, from an anchor room there, between the two gun stations forward. Drops right out of the hull and is raised back into its compartment.

If you look at the following Post Graduate Thesis by Joanna M. Carter of Northrop Grumman, Pascagoula, Mississippi, while attending the US Navy Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA, from pages 34-36 she compares anchor handling on the USS Constitution sailing frigate to the handling system on the USS Zumwalt:

The Zumwalt's anchor is highly automated and is designed to be operated by a single sailor, while the Constitution had six anchors and it took 150 sailors to operate them. The cap stands on the Zumwalt are below deck, so they cannot be seen by enemy radars. The entire system drops from there straight down so the anchor is dropped out of the bottom of the hull.

zumwalt-anchor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I was responding to attacks by others: from Crash, Ajax, and FKT
So too be fair, I didn't actually attack you personally, and I have never called you names or used derogatory terms against you.  I was expressing frustration with you for turning another thread into a "how America has screwed up the world in modern times just to make its rich billionaires richer."  As with the previous time I expressed a similar frustration when you took an earlier thread down that rabbit hole, I actually find your posts about sailing to be very thoughtful and insightful, even when I don't allows agree with you.  In particular I thought your posts in the early phases of Bull Citys e-propulsion thread to be very well presented, and I think you had a significant influence in helping him to make his decision to repower...

It appears to me, that your political views and thoughts (which while I don't agree with, I certainly respect your ability to hold them) have the depth of feelings of the most devout religious beliefs, and you feel compelled to try to convert us to your "religion."  It tends to otherwise distract from fascinating discussions of all things sailing, without (again IMHO) adding any real value, which you otherwise add lots of.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It appears to me, that your political views and thoughts (which while I don't agree with, I certainly respect your ability to hold them) have the depth of feelings of the most devout religious beliefs, and you feel compelled to try to convert us to your "religion."  It tends to otherwise distract from fascinating discussions of all things sailing, without (again IMHO) adding any real value, which you otherwise add lots of.
On the contrary, Crash, the way I see it is that some posters here operate on an unstated assumption that their worldview is uncontroversial, and that their posts about military service, military tech equipment etc are also uncontroversial ... so they expect such posts to pass without critical response.  Then when I do post a reply pointing out that there is another way of looking at this stuff, they tend to go wild and denounce me for criticising their religion.

That's what happened here: I posted a one-line comment about how these military toys are a self-serving waste, and you responded with a rant in which you accused me of having "drunk the cool aid" and suggested that I would "rather a world run by Putin and/or Xi Jinping" ... as if there had to be some sort of binary choice between one type of military aggression or another type.   Please re-read your post -- it's not me who has the religious fixation here.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
On the contrary, Crash, the way I see it is that some posters here operate on an unstated assumption that their worldview is uncontroversial, and that their posts about military service, military tech equipment etc are also uncontroversial ... so they expect such posts to pass without critical response.  Then when I do post a reply pointing out that there is another way of looking at this stuff, they tend to go wild and denounce me for criticising their religion.

That's what happened here: I posted a one-line comment about how these military toys are a self-serving waste, and you responded with a rant in which you accused me of having "drunk the cool aid" and suggested that I would "rather a world run by Putin and/or Xi Jinping" ... as if there had to be some sort of binary choice between one type of military aggression or another type.   Please re-read your post -- it's not me who has the religious fixation here.
You actually said they were "providing a nice toy for the military classes" and that "This ship is as good as any other to maintain the pretence that there is some actual purpose to their existence."  You ignored the 2 times I said that "we are far from perfect and not without fault" and the multiple posts that called out both issues in Navy Shipbuilding and potential issues or faults with this particular concept. 

I'm not sure 4 lines, or about 6 sentences (give or take) constitute a rant.  I believe they do express a frustration, and those are 2 different things.

Not do I believe my posts or views to be un-contestable, and in fact I've often had my world view shaped by what others on both sides say.  Again, my issue is not your world view...I just wish you wouldn't insert it into quite so many conversations that live outside the normal cesspit that is Politics today.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Possibly some new ideas, I don't know. I did find this description and rendering on another discussion board:

The anchor for the USS Zumwalt class is released from under the hull, from an anchor room there, between the two gun stations forward. Drops right out of the hull and is raised back into its compartment.

If you look at the following Post Graduate Thesis by Joanna M. Carter of Northrop Grumman, Pascagoula, Mississippi, while attending the US Navy Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA, from pages 34-36 she compares anchor handling on the USS Constitution sailing frigate to the handling system on the USS Zumwalt:

The Zumwalt's anchor is highly automated and is designed to be operated by a single sailor, while the Constitution had six anchors and it took 150 sailors to operate them. The cap stands on the Zumwalt are below deck, so they cannot be seen by enemy radars. The entire system drops from there straight down so the anchor is dropped out of the bottom of the hull.

I wonder what kind of anchor they use. Rocna, Spade, Mantus dinghy anchor?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Not do I believe my posts or views to be un-contestable, and in fact I've often had my world view shaped by what others on both sides say.  Again, my issue is not your world view...I just wish you wouldn't insert it into quite so many conversations that live outside the normal cesspit that is Politics today.
Again, Crash, I bring in my view when another view is being assumed or promoted.

I think that the point would be self-evident if people were posting images of (e.g.) Iranian or Chinese or Soviet or Hezbollah or Viet Cong military hardware, and posting about how proud they were of their service to those military machines and how wonderful it is that some people provide services to support those proud veterans.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
How the hell do I change my settings so that I stop getting email notifications of new posts to this stupid fucking thread...

EDIT: got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts