1/6 Committee

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
I'm not sure what you're talking about. You seem to fall into the error of thinking that the Democratic Party is the mirror image of the Republican Party.

And while Thompson and Cheney may agree on the surface about "patriotism, honesty, democracy and Justice" it's a sucker bet that Liz Cheney would define all four of those differently than you or I would.

FWIW I completely agree about building the bitch up and telling people to hike harder. As for the parties, the Democrats need some leadership, the Republicans need to reject treason. They're a long way from even grasping that "civic values" are a real thing.

IMHO the biggest problem with this country is a fragmented culture and the success of MBAs. Starting in approximately the Reagan, profit went from being a desirable goal to inviolate sacred tablet of fire. Reinvesting and stewardship ... not to mention civic values... went right out the window. The wealth of this country has been increasingly concentrated into a smaller and smaller group and the actual workers pushed further and further down; now we have families with multiple wage-earners working 60+ hours a week who not only cannot afford the 1950s lifestyle of car & suburban house & cheerful kids in school, they can't afford food much less health care... and this is affecting the economy because our workers cannot afford the consumer goods we outsourced to China, and business people are bitching that workers have unrealistic expectations of wages "because the gov't hands them so much money."

There are two places to go.... upwards, and tear at each other like rats in an overcrowded cage. Upwards will require good will and leadership.
It sounds like you and I agree in most every respect, including Cheney and Thompson having different ideas of patriotism, justice and truth.

We are stronger in compromise and working together than we are in our puritanical silos.

Hillary’s campaign made everything about race: “breaking up the banks won’t fix racism”. That’s like “defending” the rights of the unborn… it’s never gonna get done and the woke culture threatens ourselves as much as it does racism by cancelling good leaders doing their best but actually being human.

The Democrats probably have had time and the votes over the last 50 years to codify an abortion rule that would pass in the Senate: 18-20 weeks would’ve been possible at many times.

Now we got bupkis and Pelosi’s response to the end of a no-compromise SCOTUS hack that couldn't stand the test of time and a activist conservative court is issuing fundraising letters.

Don't tell me Democrats are the unsullied defenders of women's rights. It smells like bullshit.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

Don't tell me Democrats are the unsullied defenders of women's rights. It smells like bullshit.

I don't think Roe v. Wade's falling to an activist theocratic Supreme Court is Roe v. Wade's fault. Nor is it the Democrats. And keep reminding yourself, the Supreme Court can boot out any law Congress can pass. It's part of that checks & balances we used to rely on.

And I hope I never said anything like "Democrats are the unsullied defenders of women's rights." They happen to be currently standing up more for women's rights than Republicans, but that's just for now. And what have they done lately? The Democratic Party could fuck up a peanut butter sandwich.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
It sounds like you and I agree in most every respect, including Cheney and Thompson having different ideas of patriotism, justice and truth.

We are stronger in compromise and working together than we are in our puritanical silos.

Hillary’s campaign made everything about race: “breaking up the banks won’t fix racism”. That’s like “defending” the rights of the unborn… it’s never gonna get done and the woke culture threatens ourselves as much as it does racism by cancelling good leaders doing their best but actually being human.

The Democrats probably have had time and the votes over the last 50 years to codify an abortion rule that would pass in the Senate: 18-20 weeks would’ve been possible at many times.

Now we got bupkis and Pelosi’s response to the end of a no-compromise SCOTUS hack that couldn't stand the test of time and a activist conservative court is issuing fundraising letters.

Don't forget the court could just have easily overturned a federal "Right to abortion" law - stating that it was outside the fed gov'ts powers and belongs in the states. It's pretty clear that this SCOTUS doesn't really seem to be following the rules.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
I might go as far as Turnip, but everyone should learn to hate the name of the beast: Donald John Trump. Let it be as well known as Benedict Arnold.
Being-A-Dick Donald

And by-the-way, if anyone (not you Ish) is thinking that Ms. Chaney is absolved through her participation in the Committee, I would remind you that Cheney & Co. were the people who got Shitstain elected with full knowledge that he was, and still is, a reprehensible waste of DNA completely unfit to lead in any capacity. Until she, and every other enabler, steps forward and accepts personal responsibility for their complete lack of judgement, we're not even close to even. Her efforts to date move her to a position slightly above pond scum IMO, which is infinitely higher than 90% of the GOP.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Don't forget the court could just have easily overturned a federal "Right to abortion" law - stating that it was outside the fed gov'ts powers and belongs in the states. It's pretty clear that this SCOTUS doesn't really seem to be following the rules.
Conservative legal types think the court simply restrained judicial activism on Monday. Laws can withstand greater assaults, especially those which give rights to citizens. The branches are able to constrain each other, but the court has far greater latitude criticizing and overturning its own work than those of the other branches.

In any case, a legal opinion PLUS a law would've been far stronger than Roe.

Democrats gotta work harder, smarter and more honestly to protect democracy and women's rights.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Rules? What Rules?
We have two (a bit more than just accused) sexual predators, at least three blatant liars, and some fairly good people, I assume on both sides.
This is not a court, this is an inquisition in the 21st century. Calling Cardinal Richelieu! Cardinal Richelieu to the bench please! Everyone, please be quiet while Draco swears in the new Justice with a blood oath, and cuts the throat of Lady Liberty. Pope Lucius III will preside over the ceremony.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
This may sound self-serving but it's true for me. My father retired after making Director of a School of Communications, he was an academic at a prominent University. And he always credited whatever success he and the school had, to his secretaries. He had the greatest respect for them, and vice versa.

A cousin of mine was in business, in charge of the San Francisco office of a major accounting firm, his office was at almost the tip of the whatever-pyramid tower in SF but he spent a LOT of time in the air. I remember him thanking my dad for the example; he said that making good friends and relationships with the secretaries was key to his success too. He even did the 007 thing, bringing roses to them in surprise ways.

That Cassidy Hutchinson woman probably knows more about everything than even Meadows does.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
This may sound self-serving but it's true for me. My father retired after making Director of a School of Communications, he was an academic at a prominent University. And he always credited whatever success he and the school had, to his secretaries. He had the greatest respect for them, and vice versa.

A cousin of mine was in business, in charge of the San Francisco office of a major accounting firm, his office was at almost the tip of the whatever-pyramid tower in SF but he spent a LOT of time in the air. I remember him thanking my dad for the example; he said that making good friends and relationships with the secretaries was key to his success too. He even did the 007 thing, bringing roses to them in surprise ways.

That Cassidy Hutchinson woman probably knows more about everything than even Meadows does.
I was fortunate enough during my career to have a number of administrative assistants (I never called them secretaries). My standard mantra was that we worked together, you did not work “for” me.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Conservative legal types think the court simply restrained judicial activism on Monday. Laws can withstand greater assaults, especially those which give rights to citizens. The branches are able to constrain each other, but the court has far greater latitude criticizing and overturning its own work than those of the other branches.

In any case, a legal opinion PLUS a law would've been far stronger than Roe.

Democrats gotta work harder, smarter and more honestly to protect democracy and women's rights.
Or the voters who believe in those things have to show up. They stayed home in droves when Trump beat Hillary. They stay home in even larger droves when it's not a presidential election, hence, Mitch McConnell ruled the Senate.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Remember that Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony this week, and the details she provided, happened shortly after she canned her Trumpist attorneys and got lawyers who were representing her.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
... Democrats gotta work harder, smarter and more honestly to protect democracy and women's rights.
Or the voters who believe in those things have to show up. They stayed home in droves when Trump beat Hillary. They stay home in even larger droves when it's not a presidential election, hence, Mitch McConnell ruled the Senate.

^ this ^

And to the cries of "But Hillary Won The Popular Vote" my answer is meh. Look at the numbers. The Democratic Party needs >50 seat majority in the House and 10 seats (12 would be a lot better) in the Senate, before they will be able to roll over Republican roadblocks.

Having the gov't set up so that a large minority can resist the tyranny of the majority is, in general, a good thing. But when it's used to serve fascism, it becomes a not-good thing.

The whole point of Democracy is to give the people the ability vote the bastards out. Right now, the bastards are Republican. We can vote out the Democrat bastards later.

cje

"I was fortunate enough during my career to have a number of administrative assistants (I never called them secretaries). My standard mantra was that we worked together, you did not work “for” me."

Learned that lesson more than a few times. Aboot to get married to my third A.A.

Mike G

Super Anarchist
Ventura County, CA
"I was fortunate enough during my career to have a number of administrative assistants (I never called them secretaries). My standard mantra was that we worked together, you did not work “for” me."

Learned that lesson more than a few times. Aboot to get married to my third A.A.
Well, NOW you work for her.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Drag them in and let them take the oath. Then ask them whatever they want to ask without limitation. Don’t let them do the standard procedure for the Pride of New York’s crew, deflect, deny, bullshit. See if they want to contradict Ms. Harrison’s testimony. Depose them at the same time via video feed so they can’t get their stories straight.
Orange Julius's horse refused to cross the Rubicon. Owes some splainin' to the Faithful, IMO.