1/6 Committee

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
If MAGA were a bunch of Democrats, their behaviors would be unAmerican and illegal.
Laws snd morality do not apply to Republicans

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
So...the "get out of jail free" card for a bunch of the administration and hanger on scum could be a real thing. Remember, the Kush was too busy to worry about the JD meltdown, and from the article, the JD doesn't need to be involved in any back of the napkin but valid presidential pardon. This ability really needs to be revised: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...may-have-issued-pardons-jan-6-experts-explain

Those would be corrupt pardons, and therefore void.

Unless the Supreme Court rules otherwise...

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Those would be corrupt pardons, and therefore void.

Unless the Supreme Court rules otherwise...

With the roll they're on now, I would not surprised if the Supreme Court not only backed up a corrupt Presidential Pardon, but also issued a decree that no Republican is ever guilty of any crime, ever.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
With the roll they're on now, I would not surprised if the Supreme Court not only backed up a corrupt Presidential Pardon, but also issued a decree that no Republican is ever guilty of any crime, ever.

This is phenomenal overreach by the court, and a remarkably quick destruction of the social safety net is next.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
It's a very deep question, that requires deep thought.
Perhaps Deepak Chopra could give us some deeper understanding.....
Right now the country seems to be in deep shit.
If it were Australia, we would be in sheep dip.... But I digress.
If it were NZ or Aussie they would have identified the foot and mouth outbreak and wiped out the entire herd to prevent the spread.
The bulldozers would be tidying up the mass grave.

In light of the nice aides recent revelations I would imagine Meadows will be very much in the barrel, if he isn't I would wonder out loud as to how many Trumpers are left in the DOJ, perhaps its time to thin the herd.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
If it were NZ or Aussie they would have identified the foot and mouth outbreak and wiped out the entire herd to prevent the spread.
The bulldozers would be tidying up the mass grave.

In light of the nice aides recent revelations I would imagine Meadows will be very much in the barrel, if he isn't I would wonder out loud as to how many Trumpers are left in the DOJ, perhaps its time to thin the herd.

If Garland didn't clean out the worst trash, he's either crazy or implicated. Incompetent is likely not an option.

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
I hope so, but if I'm not mistaken, that was a Southern California audience, right?

How would that have been received in her home state of Wyoming, or any other red state?
As it happens, I did my first road rip through Wyoming early this month. Surprisingly little sign of political activity and the only congressional campaign signs were hers. I was relieved...

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
The article referenced made the case that there sort of is no such thing with regards to a presidential pardon.

Even without congressional action, there are some well-recognized limits on its exercise: it only covers federal crimes and may not be used to obstruct justice.
So a president can't use pardons to obstruct justice, which is what I was referring to.

As to the provision banning self-pardons, in 1974, the DOJ Office of Legal Counsel issued an opinion that such a pardon was illegitimate. Since that opinion has never been tested, we cannot know exactly how a court might approach the question, although it certainly has the merit of falling on the side of common sense, the normal usage of the word “to grant,” and the historical understanding that the use of the pardon was a matter of grace by the executive.
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/how-prevent-abuse-presidents-pardon-power

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Roe v Wade instead of an actual law was an enormously useful fundraising tool for both sides. This worked great until it didn't. Even the Republicans - or some of them at least - may regret what they unleashed. Wait until it becomes a rule that the Republican always wins any vote, at that point the real contest is the primary and the Republican loser of that may well go on a "fraudulent election I really won" temper tantrum.
1656635674594.png