$1 Irwin 30 - project photos

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
So this mess is the outboard and solar panel.

Getting the outboard to the right height has been challenging. It is an older yachtwin 9.9hp long shaft, 2 cyl. Works fine although the brack is a bit loose and allows it to jump a bit in reverse if too many revs. Does the job, although it does need to be moved down again now the boat is a further 2 inches out of the water because of the AC drying out everything.

That's why the upper bracket shims arent painted etc.  4 to 1 pulley system with cam cleat. Sits under the solar panel. The solar panel will get a twin soon - just rotate the existing panel 90 degrees and go side by side with them.

Stern light changed to Led. Kept the bow lights as incandescent because they do seem to stand out better at night over distance than led. And on lake Ray Hubbard you really need to be visible at night because of the power boat idjuts. We came within 30' of being run over by a 30' stink boat doing about 30 kts at 11pm while we were anchored. Of course we didnt have our stern light on (have a bright white led anchor light) but this is just an example. Asshole had to take evasive action to avoid running over us from our stern. 5 more second and he would have hit us. He did set up a nasty wake as he turned hard to port.  Inside of his boat was fully lit up, bright white cabin, tc screens, family drinking etc. Did I already say Asshole?

A very annoying aspect of the stern arrangement is the pushpit has at some stake taken a strong push from the port side, such that the vertical posts lean about 10 degrees to starboard. Others cant see the effect but I sure as heck can. havent decided whether I need to remove the whole assembly and have it heat bent back into shape, or just tie the boat down hard in the slip and pull it back using a strap / ratchet.

9.9hp longshaft gives us a pleasant 3.5 kts, 5.5 kts if in a hurry and dont mind the 3 x consumption. Irwin 30 displacement is 10k pounds. About 27' waterline. We've had it to about 8 kts under sail, but not been pushed in strong winds - yet. 

Got the outboard for free - from a boat that was about to be crushed. Speaking of which, I have my eye on a furler on another boat about to be crushed - The Irwin 30 could really do with a furled staysail (it has previously had a stay sail, with underdeck strop still in place). Sure the lake is only 3 x 5 miles, but why not? The rig easily overpowers, and has a habit much weather helm in a reach / close reach - especially with oldish sails.

stern 2.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
When we bought the boat, the stove section of the galley was just an oversized, rough cut, gaping hole. 

In the short term, I made a cutting board plug to fill the hole, and the color of this is about the right color for all woodwork inside.

However we found a kenyon alcohol stove (without lid / surrounding bracket) from one boat, and another boat had the lid and surrounding bracket, and with a bit of re-engineering  / rivets etc was able to bring it all together as a single unit that lifts out to expose the full gaping hole (and provide access to the 110v / 12 v / 5v electircal controls etc) as well as cupboard storage.

Still have to get replacement alcohol pump parts- about $30 from kenyon for a full set.

oh and you can see the stained backing for the led strip about the galley. Wife and I continue to argue whether this stained as a feature, or painted almond to hide it. We might decide in 12 months when we might be ready to paint inside. More likely 24 months! ;)

Keep in mind - a lake boat on a lake 3 x 5 miles. A gimbal would be overkill IMHO.

galley 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
gaping hole
Had to double take which website I was on for a moment.

When we bought the boat, the stove section of the galley was just an oversized, rough cut, gaping hole. 

In the short term, I made a cutting board plug to fill the hole, and the color of this is about the right color for all woodwork inside.

However we found a kenyon alcohol stove (without lid / surrounding bracket) from one boat, and another boat had the lid and surrounding bracket, and with a bit of re-engineering  / rivets etc was able to bring it all together as a single unit that lifts out to expose the full gaping hole (and provide access to the 110v / 12 v / 5v electircal controls etc) as well as cupboard storage.

Still have to get replacement alcohol pump parts- about $30 from kenyon for a full set.

oh and you can see the stained backing for the led strip about the galley. Wife and I continue to argue whether this stained as a feature, or painted almond to hide it. We might decide in 12 months when we might be ready to paint inside. More likely 24 months! ;)

Keep in mind - a lake boat on a lake 3 x 5 miles. A gimbal would be overkill IMHO.

View attachment 384281
Gimble is only really necessary at sea.

Insert "change my mind" meme here.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I have to question his taste in food though.  Orange coke and Chef-Boy-Ardee?  Yikes....  I used to eat that back in college  :D

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
I have to question his taste in food though.  Orange coke and Chef-Boy-Ardee?  Yikes....  I used to eat that back in college  :D
Hah!

Blame the wife for that slop. She likes eating it cold straight out of the can. 

I drink way too much coke, but I think the orange coke was courtesy of a neighbor.  

On the other hand,  if really hungry,  1 Ramen cup, 1 can chunky beef soup,  2 individual servings of rimas buttery mash, water and a saucepan,  not to bad.  Wife thinks that is disgusting though. 

We both prefer antipasto, artisan bread, Meats etc.

And bacon cheese and egg toasted sandwiches for breakfast. 

Grabbed a dual electric hotplate off another to be crushed boat.  Pulls about 700 watts on low,  from our 1200 watt inverter.

:D

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
No judgement here. I drink Miller High Life and its elk.
that's the only beer we drink on the boat. One of the reasons we got the freezer.  Must drink that stuff fast while it's cold. 

Just as well its cheap.  The last 8 hour sail / anchor / snooze consumed about 24 of the small cans between the 2 of us. 

chester

Super Anarchist
No judgement here. I drink Miller High Life and its elk.
last fall i went to a conference in a small city in our province and i stopped in a local craft brewery.  it was nice, a beautifully reno'ed old brick government building, nice tap room, view of the brew floor, staffed by 20 somethings.  I approached the bar and the young guy asks me what i'd like to try first, then he asks me what kind of beer I usually drink.  "cheap, shit beer" was my reply...he paused, smiled and said "we don't have any of that here"   :D

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I'm loving this thread. Cheap and cheerful! 
Yep, I think it's great. It's all perfectly fine for the stated purpose.
So good to see some real world responses to this sort of project instead of the usual "scrap it - it'll never be worth what you spend on it".

I always kind of liked that oddball cabin top on those Competition 30's. The way it sweeps in as it goes forward gives better deck space at no cost to the usable headroom below.

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
that's the only beer we drink on the boat. One of the reasons we got the freezer.  Must drink that stuff fast while it's cold. 
I like a good quality pale ale. But on hot summer days you just cannot beat ice cold MHL in a bottle or Bud in a can. But like you said, they have to be ICE COLD, as intended. If they’re at all warm they’re piss.

Same with Coca Cola. That shit will straight up kill you dead. But I had a Coke in a glass bottle with a lobster roll on the deck at Five Islands last week when it was 90 degrees and humid and good God that was the best.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
You bought that boat for a dollar?  Damn.
The seller had bought it as a project with an in-law; that didnt go as planned. Then another person was invited to share in the project - and that failed miserably. The seller had just had some other issues and practically couldnt get on the boat, and had an asset that was costing money every month in slip fees.

During the above, they had ripped out about all lifting laminates off cupboards, removed paneling completely, A4 was in a garage (not in good condition). Sails were in various location etc.

The problem being on lake ray hubbard is it costs minimum $750 to have a crane pull the boat out and transport somewhere locally.

So, for the vast majority of buyers, this boat was a non starter. The seller didnt want it to be destroyed, did want it to go to someone who would bring it back to a nice condition if possible. The bones are good, although with some deck softspots. After we discussed my sailing experience and maintenance capabilities he was happy for me to take it, so long as I take him sailing on occasion - covid has got in the way of that, but he is really happy with the progress.

I wouldnt put this much work into a catalina or similar - this boat has a charm of sorts, and uniqueness that I like.

Irwin 30 side resized.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
So good to see some real world responses to this sort of project instead of the usual "scrap it - it'll never be worth what you spend on it".

I always kind of liked that oddball cabin top on those Competition 30's. The way it sweeps in as it goes forward gives better deck space at no cost to the usable headroom below.
For those who don't have experience with it....the first photo shows the wide side deck space. We've found this is a very popular location to relax while powering along.

The other aspect that seems quite rare is there are very few straight lines on the boat, apart from cockpit and cockpit coaming. Just about everything else is compound curves. I don't know why the put all the extra effort into the mold, but even the internal liner moulding has the same compound curves. 

Whoever painted whatever that white paint substance is,  over the gelcoat needs to be punished. It is horrible to get off. The prior owner and friends sanded much of it off, but left the fiddly bits.

irwin 30 side deck from front resized.jpg

coach resized.jpg