$1 Irwin 30 - project photos

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Back to cheap and cheerful :)

Wiring had been damaged, and likely I wont do a plotter / nema instruments. Phone is fine. So rather than a full refit right now, I had to solve an issue about no foredeck downlight control. Wires were at the base of the mast though. So 3d printed a water proof switch set mount (curved base to fit mast curve) so we can control steaming light / foredeck deck light).

$7 for new switches. Plastic is petg. Photo taken yesterday, has been in use for about 18 months. no plastic degradation.

mast switch resized.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Why buy an new compass when with a bit of patience, one comes along for free. It was about 12 months old. rescued before boat was crushed. 

Smaller mounting hole than the original compass, so I 3d printed a mounting base - petg plastic / wood composite. 1 hr print. $2 plastic. No degredation in 18 months. The only downside to this plastic is it very hard to sand. Need to use a file instead.

compass resized.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Here is a better photos showing the hand grab rails.

As mentioned before visitors like them - they naturally grab them when moving around - but we mainly use them as foot supports when the boat is heeled.

Stainless Steel, dissipate heat well, averaged $17 each. So about $110 all up. Positioned to follow the roof curve as best possible while still being good foot rests.

All the little brown circles are prior deck / cabin holes that have been cleaned / enlarged / filled with west filler / polyester.

rails resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
This is on my 'shopping' list. I'm not saying where or when, but I have dibs!

Need this for the staysail.

mmmm furler resized.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Y'all have seen winches before. Just for completeness and in keeping with cheap and cheerful, these winches came from a siedelmann 29, before it was crushed.

2 x Lewmar 42st's.

42st winch resized.jpg

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
I like your bargain-hunting ethos.
Thanks.  There not a lot of difference to me between waiting 6 months for something to go on sale,  and waiting a similar time frame to wait for the same thing to become available at no cost.  Is not as if I will run out of renovation work in the meantime. 

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
me too but at the other end of the great plains there is no seemingly unending supply of boats-about-to-crushed! crap!
it's one of the reasons I am at the low end marina on the lake. Most boats to be crushed end up parked at this marina,  and being a paying slip customer we are allowed to pick them over.  Non customers aren't allowed to do so.

It may be that low end marinas in ca also have boat crushing,  but i suspect liveaboards keep the cheap market going. 

In most cases (a few limited exceptions) live aboard is not permitted on texas lakes. 

chester

Super Anarchist
we can live aboard (in the summer...it's 54 degrees north!)

there's probably 15-20 sailboats up in the parking lots, some of which haven't been in the water for years

if they are in the lot they are being charged a storage fee...but that is $150 CDN

I don't think we have the green light to harvest!  Maybe I should check  :ph34r:

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
SmartSelect_20200818-165103_Photo Editor.jpg

Here is an issue I have been thinking through for about 12 months,  and it's about time to make a decision. 

I've exaggerated the effect a bit in this photo. Instead of the head door and wall being vertical,  the top leans to starboard about 3/4 of an inch. 

Drives me nuts. 

SmartSelect_20200818-165531_Gallery.jpg

This photo shows the top of the bulkhead not aligning correctly with the fiberglass roof liner. 

Initially I thought the bulkhead must have moved over the years,  but all inspection I've done show tabs, bolts into fiberglass structure etc are sound / virtually rock solid. 

SmartSelect_20200818-165905_Gallery.jpg

This shows one set of bolts (forward head bulkhead,  bolts are into head cabinet structure which itself is tabbed into the hull. Similar also in rear head wall / bulkhead. 

The irwin 30 is surprisingly stiff. I've had more modern boats e.g hanse  bene 477 that move somewhat,  but the irwin doesn't. 

Btw you will never catch me on a Bavaria match 42 (or was it 44?). I've been on one of this in 50 kts and short 4' waves and you could see the twist changing from wave to wave in the cabin. 

So,  given how stiff it is,  I'm talking myself out removing the head structure and replacing correctly, because don't fix what's not broken. . 

All I can think of is this boat was an early number,  and kinks were still being ironed out.  There is a lot of short cut / rough cut cabinetry that has been hidden by oversized trim. Either that or this was done on a Friday afternoon with a few beers. 

Instead I am thinking of keeping the walls in place but shavng the ends to be leaning slightly to port of vertical. Then fixing the door and door wall back on.

Probably about 3 hours effort.

Comments / suggestions? 

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
we can live aboard (in the summer...it's 54 degrees north!)

there's probably 15-20 sailboats up in the parking lots, some of which haven't been in the water for years

if they are in the lot they are being charged a storage fee...but that is $150 CDN

I don't think we have the green light to harvest!  Maybe I should check  :ph34r:
They won't tell if you don't ask.  Also depends on how nice / how helpful a customer you are. 

These boats have been in slips where the owner has failed to pay slip fees.  In Texas is about a 6 to 12 month process for a marina to jump through the cost recovery / public auction process. Not a lot of boats are bought.  There was a very nice ranger 23 in great condition. $200 would have bought it.  No one wants a ranger 23.

Sailing hardware outlives the trashed hulls though :)

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
All I can think of is this boat was an early number,  and kinks were still being ironed out.  There is a lot of short cut / rough cut cabinetry that has been hidden by oversized trim. Either that or this was done on a Friday afternoon with a few beers.
Irwins were low end price boats BITD so you'll find lots of short cuts & cost saving measures.

Patch things in such a way that your OCD is not being regularly triggered but without getting carried away.

It'll never be a Hinckley so keep with your cheap & cheerful ethos.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Irwins were low end price boats BITD so you'll find lots of short cuts & cost saving measures.

Patch things in such a way that your OCD is not being regularly triggered but without getting carried away.

It'll never be a Hinckley so keep with your cheap & cheerful ethos.
I'm ocd to an extent.  But no one mentioned the compass screws weren't aligned to each other. 

I have a good friend who is 100 per cent ocd when it comes to screw heads.

I purposely miss aligned them  :ph34r:

doesn't stop him coming over (pre covid) for a beer or 3 though. 

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
One could make up a little story about inventing phillips heads for ocd'ers who don't want to over or under tighten slotted screws.

Then they invented torx. 

Where will it end.

Nice work dfw,

I also approve of the compass screw misalignment motive.  Does he mention it each time he visits?  I can foresee ongoing, good natured ribbing ensuing.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
One could make up a little story about inventing phillips heads for ocd'ers who don't want to over or under tighten slotted screws.

Then they invented torx. 

Where will it end.

Nice work dfw,

I also approve of the compass screw misalignment motive.  Does he mention it each time he visits?  I can foresee ongoing, good natured ribbing ensuing.
Sorry for the delay in replying.... yup at least every month or so. It's mainly when I visit his boat though,  has more adding to the barb when it is in his control. 

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
So the Christmas lights are finally down,  its winter, the wife feels the cold,  and we miss sleeping on the lake....

8kw 12v diesel heater. $130, plus a $60 marine exhaust vent. 

I've located the unit on its side, inside the starboard coaming. 

This has the advantage of the unit being just high enough so that only 2" of exhaust could possibly drain condensate to the heater,  the rest skipped down to the exhaust outlet. Means I don't need to get a $70 condensate drain. Plus the exhaust length is minimal,  so should be no carbon buildup. 

I prefer a side offset exhaust to the stern because i hate gasses collecting around the stem when sailing downwind.  Wife will want heater running while sailing in winter. 

Waiting for child weather to perpetuity evaluate,  but last night boat went from 50f to 95f in 30 minutes on high.

The holding bracket is booked through the top of the coming.

Hex head bolts countersunk 1/4" into the glass and core, covered with structural filler and glass,  basically hidden,  embedded bolts.

very happy with the strength. 

20210124_123308.jpg

20210124_123722.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Features still getting higher priority than core repair and deck/topside paint. 

Maybe core repair in march.

Latest posts