10 Days To Go - Place Your Bets

Xlot

Super Anarchist
8,678
1,121
Rome
Mine:

- Venue will be AKL

- GD will stay on, with a bare bones team complement

- no new boat for TNZ, just a refurbished Te Rehutai

- Guillaume Verdier will be hired by Alinghi

Your guess??

 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
2,826
1,512
Earth
I can't see Cork or Valencia finding the money. GD  has said AKl didn't offer enough. 

Therefore unfortunately I think it will end up being somewhere in the ME. 

 

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
4,156
2,712
Hoping it’s held here on the sparkling Waitemata as I’m lousy at staying up late to watch it live on the box if it’s headed to the Northern hemisphere.

07497AA2-BD5D-4853-9C86-1493A551F6F3.jpeg

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
9,127
2,324
PNW
My preferences in order are Auckland, Valencia, Cork. Any of them would be great venues. F’ck Jeddah, that rumored (hopefully just threatened?) one is my big fear.

My guess 10 days out is Auckland or maybe Cork. 

 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
9,127
2,324
PNW
Oh, and no World Series, of course
Since the asking price to venues is so dang high this time (to include a bunch of GD’s fundraising) then there’s a good chance the Protocol will reflect a venue bid contract’s requirement that Challengers will be forced to live, practice and race only in that venue for 3 years. So…. Yes, agreed. It would also free up precious-few sailable boats. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Xlot

Super Anarchist
8,678
1,121
Rome
 there’s a good chance the Protocol will reflect a venue bid contract’s requirement that Challengers will be forced to live, practice and race only in that venue for 3 years. 
In Jeddah ?  :lol: :lol:

 

Frank White

Member
203
60
My guess is they push the decision out to a future date. None of the current options that we know about are ideal for TNZ. I wouldn’t think it’s hurts their credibility to say we need a little more time and are still evaluating options. 

 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
9,127
2,324
PNW
My guess is they push the decision out to a future date. None of the current options that we know about are ideal for TNZ. I wouldn’t think it’s hurts their credibility to say we need a little more time and are still evaluating options. 
Agree, good chance since they don’t seem to have any good options solidified. Hard sell, at the asking price. The ‘Origin Sports Group’ may not have come through despite 10 months of effort. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
9,127
2,324
PNW
The only real news besides from out of Auckland has been from Cork, and a few (unattributed) comments from Cork have led to the speculation that Valencia and Jeddah are supposedly what they are being told is their ‘competition’ and on some ‘short list.’ 
 

IF there is a wildcard possibility then my hope is that it is Cagliari. It was to be the first ACWS venue last time around and I bet PB could make that happen, with ease. Seems possible as their best or only option outside Auckland.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

accnick

Super Anarchist
2,629
1,814
Realistically, the only place that can front the type of money TNZ is looking looking for is one of the Middle Eastern oil states.

I guess we’ll find out if it is really all about the money, or if there are other considerations in play. I’m hoping it is about more than just the money.

For the sake of the people of NZ, who have supported TNZ for so long, I hope it ends up in Auckland.

But I’m not optimistic.

 
Top