10 Days To Go - Place Your Bets

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
I don't think so. It's in the UK that he needs planning permissions.
then why is he running both a cycling and a sailing team? Just for fun?  Seemed to me like a clear case of image boosting.

When he bought team sky he said "“It becomes more important that ‘were recognised out in the public arena and of course buying the world’s finest cycling team covers a lot of territories."

Last edited by a moderator:

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
So, he hasn't got 80mil and looking to get 5 (but hasnt got it) to help the team in the interim. The Gov could put in 30 and he's looking to match that ie a public/gov 50/50 relationship. Probably he's got a bunch of people who individually might or might not put in a mil here and there but not tens of mil needed to run such a campaign. GD would need to get them to put up 5 right now to see if they are anything but hot air.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
So, he hasn't got 80mil and looking to get 5 (but hasnt got it) to help the team in the interim. The Gov could put in 30 and he's looking to match that ie a public/gov 50/50 relationship. Probably he's got a bunch of people who individually might or might not put in a mil here and there but not tens of mil needed to run such a campaign. GD would need to get them to put up 5 right now to see if they are anything but hot air.
Sounds very confident to me..

Dunphy: Hell yes, we’re definitely going to have it here.

Q: What makes you so confidant?

Dunphy:

Some of these things, when they’re right they’re just going to happen.  This has got everything, it’s just lined up isn’t it.

You’ve got more than 85% of New Zealanders want to have it here, we’ve got all the infrastructure built, all the Kiwis want it, the team wants it, the Defenders want it, the Challengers want it, so..

How does it NOT happen?

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Has there ever been an AC before in which the defender was too broke to defend? I can't think of one.
No but there are several examples of defenders recycling boats to mount successful defences wether it was budgetary constraints or brilliant initial design I don’t know.

1899 / 1901 Columbia
1967 / 1970 Intrepid

1974 / 1977 Courageous.

accnick

Super Anarchist
No but there are several examples of defenders recycling boats to mount successful defences wether it was budgetary constraints or brilliant initial design I don’t know.

1899 / 1901 Columbia
1967 / 1970 Intrepid

1974 / 1977 Courageous.
In all those cases, new boats were built, but the older boats, significantly modified, beat the new boats on the race course, as well as the challenger. Intrepid came within a broken runner block on the last upwind leg in 1977 of being a three-time defender.

Sisu3360

Anarchist
In all those cases, new boats were built, but the older boats, significantly modified, beat the new boats on the race course, as well as the challenger. Intrepid came within a broken runner block on the last upwind leg in 1977 of being a three-time defender.
And Courageous was a defender candidate in 80 and 83, then went to Fremantle in 87. Pretty sure it's the only boat to compete in 5 cycles worth of trials.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Well worth listening to. Dunphy’s sounding too much like Francesco De Leo for my liking, Dalton very clearly would rather work over him with an ice pick: that marriage isn’t going to happen

One positive note: the gov. money’s still there
If 'almost all' donors want to remain anonymous then who the f cares, so long as the financing is arranged?

Good to see Dunphy, first time for me.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Sounds very confident to me..

Dunphy: Hell yes, we’re definitely going to have it here.

Q: What makes you so confidant?

Dunphy:

Some of these things, when they’re right they’re just going to happen.  This has got everything, it’s just lined up isn’t it.

You’ve got more than 85% of New Zealanders want to have it here, we’ve got all the infrastructure built, all the Kiwis want it, the team wants it, the Defenders want it, the Challengers want it, so..

How does it NOT happen?
A confident man you say? Hmmmm...

(Waiting for the penny to drop)

Dalts is pushing the negotiation process pretty hard this time. It is a game, and he's a master of this stuff. He's a prick.

The problem is that if it's held in Auckland with the same class of boat, it'll be hard to tell the difference between AC36 and 37 for him. Dalts is a bit of a change freak and sees the same, same as a failure. Plus, he'd really like to stick it to the NZ Government because he's a grudge holder. I mean, the prick still hates Peter for blasting passed him to win the WB leg to Auckland 32 years ago. He's weak.

Team fans and supporters will want AC37 here but, since when has that mattered to Dalts? He's blinded by his success and is so sheltered from the reality of all this perhaps, it is indeed time for him to hang up his wetties and fade into the shadow from whence he came. 

There is no money problem at all. The infrastructure is still there, the team is secure and the base and boat building facility is ready. 

The Team and ACEA still owes New Zealand for the funds injected into AC36. The ROI wasn't there because of Covid-19. And yes, Covid-19 was an act of God and as such, excluded from the contract. No finance contract states that an act of God indemnifies the payment of a debt. 

So.

AC37 must be held in Auckland to pay the debt owed to New Zealand.

Or, the debt must be paid before it's held offshore. 

200,000,000 NZD should cover it Dalts.

Pay up. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
There is no money problem at all. The infrastructure is still there, the team is secure and the base and boat building facility is ready. 
Agree. Sounds like he's giving Cork another 6-8 weeks (ie: up until the Nov 17 Protocol date) to try make that bid survive but he has a big problem now with the Dunphy proposal - one that Dunphy has (as a threat?) suggested could be made public. 

Back when they rejected the NZ/Auckland offer GD put a price on the shortfall: NZ$80M. That figure is what Dunphy is going to hold GD's feet to the fire on.

accnick

Super Anarchist
And Courageous was a defender candidate in 80 and 83, then went to Fremantle in 87. Pretty sure it's the only boat to compete in 5 cycles worth of trials.
That could be, but she was way off the pace in Fremantle. The keel the put on in '85 or '86 was a bit of a disaster, and the Fremantle campaign was really a shoestring operation. I think Roger Marshall did some of the redesign work on the boat that year. I think he was at S&S about the time the boat was originally designed.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Good to see Dunphy, first time for me.
Standing outside my old local the Occidental Vulcan Lane in that interview maybe the new AC club rooms.

7B0FC7AF-7E12-4A85-A922-171BA53E75B7.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist
Standing outside my old local the Occidental Vulcan Lane in that interview maybe the new AC club rooms.

View attachment 463402
Lots of good places to eat and drink on Vulcan Lane and the adjacent blocks. We lived a few blocks away, across from the art gallery, for six months during the 2000 AC and the 2003 AC.

Still love Auckland.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Thanks, was curious about where he was standing 'outside his office.' You nailed it. Is that a skyscraper behind? 

View attachment 463410
Don’t really do sky scrapers here in the home of the Cup for now and possibly longer with Dunfays millions.

Building in the back ground AIG offices as seen here.

C0C80B53-45C3-4294-AA12-5D3CFFDF3D0A.jpeg C3E31B2C-C381-4163-9A7C-42CF02C4F9F8.jpeg

Building in the forefront De Bretts Hotel has a wonderfull house bar upstairs.

D08E99A6-6411-4F1B-AA09-C87BCF6953E1.jpeg