10 Days To Go - Place Your Bets

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
One detail more: if you look (North) along the Jeddah coast, there’s not a single marina. Compare that with Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi, or practically everywhere in Dubai. Just as I remembered, Saudis are desert Bedouins, while the people along the Persian Gulf have a millenary tradition of seafaring. As a corollary, Bedouins assaulted caravans, while Gulf merchants had to have a reasonable relationship with their clients, if they wanted to come back the next year

Wow, that guy pretty much nails it in just the first 05:30. 
The only thing he nailed is that he doesn't fully understand the intricacies of the America's Cup. He, and maybe Dunphy, seem to view the "Cup" as just another sport events, but we all know it's not.

What Defender would willingly relinquish control of the actual event itself. 

AC36 is a great example of what would have happened if a separate sporting body, group or government department was in any sort of control. It would have been canned. The only reason we had the event (which NZ loved) was because GD, and ETNZ pushed it though. 

If Dunphy brings $80m and the council/govt get on board with whatever tiny cash amount is actually part of their $100m offer, but require the event to be separated from the team, it wont happen, and fair enough. Running the event gives an edge the Defender plays to their advantage. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
The only thing he nailed is that he doesn't fully understand the intricacies of the America's Cup. He, and maybe Dunphy, seem to view the "Cup" as just another sport events, but we all know it's not.

What Defender would willingly relinquish control of the actual event itself. 

AC36 is a great example of what would have happened if a separate sporting body, group or government department was in any sort of control. It would have been canned. The only reason we had the event (which NZ loved) was because GD, and ETNZ pushed it though. 

If Dunphy brings $80m and the council/govt get on board with whatever tiny cash amount is actually part of their $100m offer, but require the event to be separated from the team, it wont happen, and fair enough. Running the event gives an edge the Defender plays to their advantage. 
I agree to disagree. One of the biggest problems last time was not that there were two CEOs, one for the Event and one for them Team. As we have debated for forever now, and this guy very sharply points out too, the really big problem for everyone was that the roles were held 'by the same person.'

Yes, govt money should be transparently spent, check-boxed, etc, and yes on the other hand a team accountant should have the ability to make quick decisions about fast-moving money design budget decisions and what-not, but: they are separate responsibilities. Listen closely again:

RNZ Audio Player

Do you honestly think that Dunphy, Farmer, Fay, etc, want GD pocketing a bunch of their money that they have offered, to run this thing in Auckland instead of offshore? Like they have to bribe him? And with no oversight about who-all is pocketing what? Get real..

Last edited by a moderator:

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
The only people that think the AC is MORE than a  sporting event are the Weiners in here that think it’s part of some divine legacy passed down from the gods through their chosen mechanism of the New York courts and a Deed. 

its a cock off between rich people using a boat race  to settle a challenge.  It’s an even where a sport takes place. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
The only people that think the AC is MORE than a  sporting event are the Weiners in here that think it’s part of some divine legacy passed down from the gods through their chosen mechanism of the New York courts and a Deed. 

its a cock off between rich people using a boat race  to settle a challenge.  It’s an even where a sport takes place. 
OK. So if you're leaving JAL, don't let the door slap you on the arse on your way out.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I agree to disagree. One of the biggest problems last time was not that there were two CEOs, one for the Event and one for them Team. As we have debated for forever now, and this guy very sharply points out too, the really big problem for everyone was that the roles were held 'by the same person.'

Yes, govt money should be transparently spent, check-boxed, etc, and yes on the other hand a team accountant should have the ability to make quick decisions about fast-moving money design budget decisions and what-not, but: they are separate responsibilities. Listen closely again:

RNZ Audio Player

Do you honestly think that Dunphy, Farmer, Fay, etc, want GD pocketing a bunch of their money that they have offered, to run this thing in Auckland instead of offshore? Like they have to bribe him? And with no oversight about who-all is pocketing what? Get real..
Or do they subscribe to the mantra, 'It's not whether you win or lose, but to be seen in the right circles, while exploiting tax loopholes.'

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Oh precious  baby, please explain how it’s “not just  a sporting event” 
The Super Bowl is an American football game. Yet it’s more than a sporting event. It’s a pop culture icon which is why the Super Bowl half time show in the entertainment industry is a big deal also with past stars like Michael Jackson, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Janet Jackson, Katy Perry all having performed. Yes it’s a football game but it’s also an entertainment event. The AC is the same thing. It’s an entertainment event catered to the TV/ Internet audience. Like it or not, it’s NOT just a sporting event.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
If you tied Ed Sheeran to one of the foils then I agree that would make it entertainment. Then you could hold it anywhere and I'd watch - he deserves it for Galway Girl

Other music acts are also available. Though I can't think of any NZ ones. Maybe that's why they are moving it- so they can get a music celeb to play. Not sure a muezzin call to prayer is really going to cut the mustard though

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Not at all sure why anyone thinks Auckland is still in the mix. The offer has been officially withdrawn and it has been stated that any new agreement would need a completely new negotiation.

For this to come to fruition there are only two paths. The government and council would need to double the previous offer. This would be a very difficult sell and a political nightmare. Or the team would need to backtrack and try and get the original offer back. This would require the CEO to consume a large helping of humble pie, something he has never done before. On top of this he would need to accept Dunphy's help in raising the extra funds. Good luck with that as well.

So Auckland has a similar chance as it going to Pitcairn Island.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Not at all sure why anyone thinks Auckland is still in the mix. The offer has been officially withdrawn and it has been stated that any new agreement would need a completely new negotiation.

For this to come to fruition there are only two paths. The government and council would need to double the previous offer. This would be a very difficult sell and a political nightmare. Or the team would need to backtrack and try and get the original offer back. This would require the CEO to consume a large helping of humble pie, something he has never done before. On top of this he would need to accept Dunphy's help in raising the extra funds. Good luck with that as well.

So Auckland has a similar chance as it going to Pitcairn Island.
With recently announced Developments of a AC40 Foiling Circuit my hunch is the Host Venue will be in Europe (likely Cork) with Auckland, Valencia, Jeddah maybe getting a Preliminary Regatta!

Gissie

Super Anarchist
With recently announced Developments of a AC40 Foiling Circuit my hunch is the Host Venue will be in Europe (likely Cork) with Auckland, Valencia, Jeddah maybe getting a Preliminary Regatta!
My point is why would Auckland want one. They where assured for ever that a defense would be held there. They have since had their offer spurned, so why would they think they should help pay to support some one else's wedding.

Plus our borders are the reason the team is leaving, according to some, so why wouldn't this impact on any pissant little regatta.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ego can easily allow gift horses to he sent to the slaughter house rather than accepted...
Ha! I suppose…

But there sure is a lot of ego-action going on, when the logical focus should surely be on the fact that someone (anyone) has given ETNZ the money-offer that gives them basically no easily-explainable excuse to leave. 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I have it on good authority (I read it on SA)

1) it's definitely Cork 

2) It's definitely Jeddah 

3) it's definitely not Valencia 

4) though it could be Spain 

5) Aukland is a Schrödinger hosting. It is both definitely happening and definitely not 

6) or they are all hosting an AC40 event 

7) or all of the above is bollocks 

8) or some other possibility