10 mill$ poweryacht capsize during launch in Anacortes

salute

Anarchist
I think the Builder was known as Citidel. Polar Bear was their last and I think the Owner of the Yacht also ended up also owning the defunct ShipYard. Recessionary times ......... Polar Bear was a much used Yacht on the WestCoast with annual trips between the PNW and Mexico y Costa Rica.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I think the Builder was known as Citidel. Polar Bear was their last and I think the Owner of the Yacht also ended up also owning the defunct ShipYard. Recessionary times ......... Polar Bear was a much used Yacht on the WestCoast with annual trips between the PNW and Mexico y Costa Rica.
There are more than one, it seems. We did the west coast of Vancouver Island more or less in lock-step with this one.

1107109.jpg

IStream

Super Anarchist
Looks like The Joker with that giant stainless mouth.

the-joker-2-0-by-hot-toys-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Ah FR lives! How you doin' bud? Hot enough for you yet? Looks like an ugly storm coming at you: https://ca.weather.yahoo.com/mexico/jalisco/puerto-vallarta-137895/;_ylt=AwrTcay4YahTJkAAZu8XFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--

Take cover mate!

It sort of looked like a Delta but you can't tell by the open air grill aft of the sky lounge. But then then again there's so much likeness of these expedition yachts.

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist
Came across this update on the boat

So, what (and why) is this "YachtVid" thing? Is this some guys attempt to make money just shooting video of yachts? Is he trying to make money? I dont see any sponsors.

This guy is talking in the video like it is all personal and we are all a family, etc. etc. I mean c'mon. Who is his audience?

It sure cant be the rich folk who are buying this multi-million dollar boats. I doubt they have time to watch this guy's videos.

It ain't the low-wage people who build them. They cant afford any of this stuff they build.

Perhaps if the guy focused midrange market, but his videos are all of big multi-million dollar yachts.

WTF?

QBF

Super Anarchist
Came across this update on the boat

I doubt his audience are those spending millions of dollars. Most likely just trying to sell his video work to marina's, boat builders, etc.

However, as you can see from the screen shot of his website, his work is "Safe, Professional, and Efficient." There is no mention on the website as to who this guy is.

YachtVid.com

YachtVid.com

YachtVid2.jpg

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
That video just comes across as smarmy, catering to someone who will hire his services, whatever they are. I'm trying not to make this too snarky, but nothing in that video appealed to me. It just reeked of "rich people and their toys are good for the economy because they will buy dinner in your town and ride in your taxis".

Now I know that is too simplistic and I know I'm reading some of my own biases into this but, that's how it came across.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow. I'm a nobody when it comes to boats (just got my first sailboat, a 1984 Cal 31) and have a ton of respect for the NAs here. I caught a pic and the video that have sparked a question.

First, not trying to debate potential stability of the design or the ballast on board when she rolled. I'm looking at the angle and draft of the stabilizer fins. They seem very low, almost even with her bottom, but that may be a camera angle issue. But if the stab was on the ramp (possibly keeping her upright) while dragging down, and eventually contacting the bottom as she rolled, would she "trip" on the stab? Look at the vid and note how the bow seems to come out of the water. Or is this a result of her simply laying on her side and the wide beam making it look like she is pivoting over?

Im not sure what impact this would have ultimately had. Just curious and looking for some perspective.

Tankersteve

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
This has been a fascinating thread to follow. I'm a nobody when it comes to boats (just got my first sailboat, a 1984 Cal 31) and have a ton of respect for the NAs here. I caught a pic and the video that have sparked a question.

First, not trying to debate potential stability of the design or the ballast on board when she rolled. I'm looking at the angle and draft of the stabilizer fins. They seem very low, almost even with her bottom, but that may be a camera angle issue. But if the stab was on the ramp (possibly keeping her upright) while dragging down, and eventually contacting the bottom as she rolled, would she "trip" on the stab? Look at the vid and note how the bow seems to come out of the water. Or is this a result of her simply laying on her side and the wide beam making it look like she is pivoting over?

Im not sure what impact this would have ultimately had. Just curious and looking for some perspective.

Tankersteve
I wondered that also - but I think the most likely thing is where the weight was in the hull if they got the ballast figures screwed up enough to roll it good chance the fore and aft balance was wonky too.

miloman

That video just comes across as smarmy, catering to someone who will hire his services, whatever they are. I'm trying not to make this too snarky, but nothing in that video appealed to me. It just reeked of "rich people and their toys are good for the economy because they will buy dinner in your town and ride in your taxis".

Now I know that is too simplistic and I know I'm reading some of my own biases into this but, that's how it came across.
I hate attempts at using economics to justify yachting. It's true that big yachts coming to towns can stimulate the economy, but it's hardly an efficient stimulus plan. If you must think about it from an economic standpoint, a big yacht represent an immense concentration of wealth. The same money spent by a lot of people on a bunch of smaller yachts would probably result in far greater stimulus, spread around more evenly (and in less ritzy places). But ultimately, that's not what yachting, big or small, is about.

I can't put it any better than Bill Garden. In Yacht Designs he writes:

Whether they are sail or power, we must remember that our yachts are toy boats — all yachts are the glint of a lovely brief bubble of time, a time of leisure and affluence for the middle class. A boat’s importance as an escape from reality, as a change of pace, as a theme for reflection, and as an art form gives it worth or value.

Boats the size Bäden aren't really for the middle class, but I think the point stands. Yachts are lovely things. I can't economically justify the Beethoven String Quartets or Steak au Poivre either, but I'd be very sad if they ceased to exist.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I am in Anacortes, short walk over to the boat. There are newly and hastily erected No Trespassing signs all around the property it is on, but it looks like you could walk over there at low tide (public property, right?). Head on, there is a little more boat below the waterline than it looks like in the videos, but still not very much compared to the towering superstructure. A few scratches in the topside paint on the port side are the only visible evidence that it isn't new. There is zero activity around the boat, nor is it in a location where it could logically be worked on.

Some local hearsay to feed the mill:

Barge crane operator said that they let the straps go down to 6.5 tons tension and the thing started to fall over again, that's why they moved it with the barge crane in place.

Shipwrights that worked on the boat said there is all kind of heavy shit up on the third deck, hot tubs, heavy cabinetry and the like. 3rd party stability study was done using builder supplied data, very suspect.

All third hand but what the hell? Let's keep the rumor mill fed....

Me too. I've heard from guys who worked on her about crazy-heavy shit installed up high like the floor-to-ceiling safety glass on that upper level vista sky lounge thingie. And none of it properly accounted for, modeled, or weighed out to check before installation. The predicted numbers may have been a complete fiction compared to what was actually installed.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there often is.

Latest posts