100k?

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
finalfinal-eaba9ab3-largecropped.jpg

Yes, this J/105 (Final Final) is by all accounts a very good boat, fast, great shape, trailer, etc. I know, I tried to buy it., and there is a reason I didn’t – it just sold for $98k! After shipping and taxes (people with money pay taxes, don’t they?) he gonna be into it for at least $110k – way out of my league and a pretty astonishing price for a 20+ year-old J/105. It speaks volumes about the desirability of these boats to race – especially those that aren’t trashed, have core issues, mast issues, etc.

I get the appeal of the class – close racing, OD (Sort of – J Boats made seven different versions of the 105 during it’s build lifespan) – and I actually do want to buy one as there is a fleet here in san Diego, but am having a hard time finding one in good shape for a decent price. Maybe I’m just out of touch (duh). Hit me up if you know of one.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Ok. You made me take a quick dive down a rodent hole. 2014 was the last year for production, although J-boats seems to leave that open ended? m Is that correct?

So a 2014 has a range of $111,000 to $120,00. Seems like BS to me.

But, a 2005 version sold in Oct '21 for $83K. Go figure.

The last one I looked at, we called it quits after about an hour.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Inflation..
My economic crystal ball says come next fall/winter, the piper may have to be paid and there will be a lot more boats in the used boat market pushing prices down.

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Hit me up if you know of one.
You missed a good boat one near where I live by just 1 month. The deck was recored, most everything rebedded, most interior wood replaced, with better stock. Fresh paint job too. It was up for sale for $70K and some Annapolis folks wanted it but asked for a $15K-$20K price drop. Someone else picked it up at asking price three weeks after being listed.

Apparently I would treat Annapolis boats as suspect, they value them less, likely a lot of put away wet boats.

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
Can someone explain the differences of different versions?
I’m not sure where seven came from, but there were pre-SCRIMP and SCRIMP boats (technically not different “versions”, shoal and deep keels, regular or “euro” interiors, and wheel and tiller versions.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
A well-sorted, competitive boat? It could easily run $20k more than a beater, and actually be worth a whole lot more than that if you want to bring said beater up to speed.

Whether they can get it, depends on the smarts of the buyer. Hint from someone who is not smart: Be smart, buy the well-sorted boat.

Kriese

Detroit
New boats are expensive which puts a price floor under good used ones. Re-coring decks, fairing hulls, trailers, keeping rigging, sails & electronics up to date is pricey too. J/boats in general might command a premium too because they're reasonable designs with broad appeal.

It's like Gekko said; "It's all about the bucks, kid. The rest is conversation."

GLAZE

Rockwall, TX
A well-sorted, competitive boat? It could easily run $20k more than a beater, and actually be worth a whole lot more than that if you want to bring said beater up to speed.

Whether they can get it, depends on the smarts of the buyer. Hint from someone who is not smart: Be smart, buy the well-sorted boat.
Agreed. How much did Scot spend on getting the last boat up to snuff and looking good? Final Final is great boat, that needs nothing. Definitely turn key.

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey

And then budget $20K for a Fintgerald or Melzer keel and rudder job.