100kg - what singlehander dinghies to sail?

Bored Stiff

Copenhagen
Huh!. 

When you think that you are ready to take on the likes of Mike Holt, Mike Martin or even me, let me know.  Pistols at dawn followed by three days of grueling high performance sailing. :)

I was jest getting into my stride at 55 .
Sorry  :)  …though to be fair you race a keelboat not a Laser. The point I was trying to make was that being 20 years too old is every bit as much a handicap as being 20kg too heavy but, as you say, it is not much of a handicap to having a successful and enjoyable time.  No one will win the ILCA Worlds at 100kg or at 55 years, but there is still many races to be won and, more importantly, plenty of fun to be had.

ttc546

If only you lived in the UK. The Hadron H2 would be a great option. Think single-handed Merlin Rocket. This is my custom coloured one:

(The fluoro pink is in the gelcoat, not a stick-on graphic). The builder accepts all sorts of custom coloured schemes. 

259497612_10158743266053401_4674792535455757529_n.jpg

271220217_10158815850853401_51273578719840723_n - Copy.jpg

263026120_10158762196478401_3156024847600156758_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramona

Australia
I have owned 4 OK Dinghies, 2 Finns and one Farr 3.7. I would suggest taking a sail on a Laser and then on the same day sail a Finn. After sailing a Finn you wont care about the rest. A second hand Devoti with a foil mast might seem expensive initially but the shear pleasure from sailing these in a seaway makes it all worthwhile.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
VX EVO looks great, it does have the hull length to properly support your weight.

Devoti D One is aesthetically challenging, but you can cartop it :)

An RS Aero would be worthwhile if class racing is available, but the 9 m2 sail will not do anything about the hull being quite small for anyone 90+ kg.
Agreed on the Aero being small hulled. I only got to take one out in ghosting conditions and at 6'3" and 90kg, I felt like a bull in a china shop. I enjoyed going back to my Laser.

I recently got a Finn to play around with and hopefully attend the Gold Cup in Miami with.  I haven't sailed it yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out based upon what I've heard.  I also have a Moth and UFO and both of those are doable at this size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jono

Super Anarchist
I swear I'm fated not to get going this summer.

Buy the boat. Have to isolate for a week / weekend as a family member tests positive.

The next weekend. Get a leave pass for Sunday afternoon. Rig the boat for the first time. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of the ropes and sail. Get out for a local club race day with 1/2 dozen standard and radials, including a couple regionally serious at a Masters level. 5 knots so generally on the side deck but never block to block. Feel legendary with 4 bullets and a second but the body is cramping up so flag the last race. And yes a massive bluff on the leader in one race to squeeze past them on the last tack. The treachery comment above came to mind but it was totally legal. Had a smile a mile wide. My wife was just relieved I hadn't failed miserably. Paid for it the next day and was ok by Wednesday but might need to invest in some knee pads this time around.

The weekend just gone. I do the right thing and take my 15 year old with the radial rig to the local lake. Doesn't matter if he capsizes as it is good fresh water and deep to the edge so I can offer a few pointers if he wants to listen. Turns out the lake is closed for a rowing regatta and as it is low tide and 15kn plus we don't go elsewhere. Then Sunday is 30kn.

And next weekend I'm supporting my 17 year old daughter at a 2 day girls regatta. With the Auckland Masters Champs the weekend after that I'm in trouble.....

Agree! At 77 I'm still racing small dinghies. Melges 14 Midwinters in Sarasota in a couple weeks. I'm bold enough to invite you to check the results after 3/20
Um, I found that I have been fooled by great success in light air. The Melges-14 Midwinters had wind, on Friday lots of it.

I knew what to do. But the legs just would not do what is required. Midfleet. OK to first uowind mark. Each maneuver would lose 15-20 feet.

So, yea, there is an age limit for small single handed dinghies.

Dave Ellis

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Um, I found that I have been fooled by great success in light air. The Melges-14 Midwinters had wind, on Friday lots of it.

I knew what to do. But the legs just would not do what is required. Midfleet. OK to first uowind mark. Each maneuver would lose 15-20 feet.

So, yea, there is an age limit for small single handed dinghies.

Dave Ellis
I just hope I can remember where my boat is when I am 77! You are to be congratulated, Dave!

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
I have owned 4 OK Dinghies, 2 Finns and one Farr 3.7. I would suggest taking a sail on a Laser and then on the same day sail a Finn. After sailing a Finn you wont care about the rest. A second hand Devoti with a foil mast might seem expensive initially but the shear pleasure from sailing these in a seaway makes it all worthwhile.
what he said. 

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I took the advice of some here and have a 29er en-route that I'm going to re-rig to single hand.  And if I'm lucky, get a copy of the Mk.8 carbon rig Mr. Bethwaite designed a few years ago.

Latest posts