105th CYC Race to Mackinac

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
It is getting slower!

Air Affair is first to put the diesel in gear.

Drop-out rate should increase dramatically.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
from Geff:

You couldn't ask for a better more glorious day of Sailing! Bright sunshine, not too hot, more breeze than expected, and about the most comfortable boat you can imagine. We have finally been able to ease sheets a bit and crack off a tad in order to get more speed. One of those near perfect evenings so far and just kicked it into another few gears and boogie ing. Gotta love it!

MEanwhile Equation ST65 (ex Rosebud) has been doing under 1 knot for about 4 hours.

yikes.

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 5.41.16 AM.png

chippin' away

Looks like that ballsy move by Stripes is going to get them into the barn first for the 70's.

Talk about an END AROUND!

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
And Geff will probably get another multihull win!

"Very slow morning pre dawn. Been alot of transitions and been in phase with all of it since heading for the barn after can 3. Been staying ahead of the 70s through all this drifting. Finally got cell service. That is why my last post was from the first night. Going outside and staying west was pretty good for us. Still a long 9 miles to the bridge."

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.00.01 AM.png

Monkey

Super Anarchist
They're moving again now, but you can't help but laugh at the frustration they must have been going through out there a little while ago. This picture showed up captioned "Can you say 000?"

1005599_10152036539258272_850686644_n.jpg

BayRacer

Anarchist
Imagine if there was any breeze. They'd be doing 150 :)

Does say "retired." Pulled in somewhere and put crew and transponder in a car to drop off at the island.

fogmachine

SF Bay Area
This is one of the most entertaining distance races to follow via tracker in a long time. Buffalo Girls coming out in the J/105, Beneteau 36.7 and 40.7 OD classes and only 7 minutes short for Stripes in Section 01. Now it comes down to the the pre-race prep work - who has enough food & liquid? Who runs out of sunblock and bug repellent? Who told work to not expect them back for a while?

Good Grief!! Race tracking shows the S&S 50, "Challenge" doing 66.80 knots on I-75 heading north. Got to be really tough on the bottom job.

Do we have the Mac version of Rosie Ruiz?

:eek: :lol:
I saw that and had a chuckle at the track.

Interesting race going on in the J111 class, now headed through the Straits. Hope Nosurprise can take the top spot.

Maybe someday there will be an entry named "Lord of the Flies." :lol:

Polaris

Super Anarchist
Eagle (S38) and Real Na Mara (J109) always in the money. The J122 won overall a couple of years ago, is it the same boat (Flying Jenny IV), different owners?

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI
Tuesday morning and barely over 100 boats finished. Good luck to those still out there. Driving past the straits right now on US 2 and it doesn't look over promising.

One lone boat yet to finish. About 25 nm from the island. What a long and tough race!

I think CYC should award a tweet trophy, with the award going to Mutiny. They sure kept their sense of humor. Cracked up when I read their comment about the skipper ignoring the crew's pleas to visit the exotic women of Beaver Island.

The heat wave up here ends Thursday night. Hoping the Bayview to Mac race has better winds.