14th Most Dangerous Man In The World

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Prophesy was foretold in my posts 30 and 43  from 2016
It's not exactly surprising but it's also true that they don't ALWAYS explode on the first shot.

Of course, "They don't ALWAYS explode on the first shot" isn't exactly a great marketing catch phrase.

You were predicting something that is already known to happen would happen again. It did.

I'm going a bit further out on a limb...

... the day will likely come when "Alexa, read this book and make me a gun" will result in something more serviceable and cheap. What then?

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
In #30 I did not mean to say or imply that a printed plastic barrel would ALWAYS explode on first shot.

( and that was a .380 )

What I did was to compare hot glue to metal.

Even with a brazillion dollar laser machine,  welding beads of metal.

I  still won't pull the trigger.

to above question asking if Liberator is an unrifled zip gun barrel.

Yep.   

Barrel is dimensional  critical  all surfaces

The Top Shelf barrel makers are using high grade bar stock

, and working down to  millionths inside the bore.

We saw the guy "final machining" the ill fitting parts with a scraper.

I never saw him do anything related to measuring that bore

He could have used dowel & sandpaper if he knew what a "real live blueprint" would have told him 

, and that might have let that barrel survive 

I realized that I never answered Tom's question about having an export license for what I know

NO!,  I do not have a license to export the knowledge in my head.

Alexa, go make me a sammich, and bring it to me in the machine shop.
I can set an AR receiver up on a granite block and  and use the measuring tools  to,

, Reverse Engineer that receiver into a cad dataset ,

, do the NC programming for the particular Milling machine I want to use,

, and set up and run the mill to produce that AR receiver my OWN dayum self.

:eek:   I just realized that I have a possibility of being included on the "Most Dangerous People in the World"  list.

Alexa,, call the List Keeper and tell them I'm claiming "Thirteenth Most Dangerous Man in the World"

,   then find out who #12 is

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I realized that I never answered Tom's question about having an export license for what I know

NO!,  I do not have a license to export the knowledge in my head.
I don't remember asking that but wish I had. It's a funny question. I'm not sure what the point is.

I can set an AR receiver up on a granite block and  and use the measuring tools  to,

, Reverse Engineer that receiver into a cad dataset ,

, do the NC programming for the particular Milling machine I want to use,

, and set up and run the mill to produce that AR receiver my OWN dayum self.

:eek:   I just realized that I have a possibility of being included on the "Most Dangerous People in the World"  list.
But are you named Alexa and are you annoying when I'm not asking you to do something?

The point of this thread is that we're really all on that list if we wish to be. Gunsmithing is legal and so are machine tools. So is spreading information on the subject, which is Cody Wilson's political point here.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Even with a brazillion dollar laser machine,  welding beads of metal.

I  still won't pull the trigger.
Wasn't every barrel just molten metal at some point? The day may come when everyone agrees that the ONLY good way to do it is to assemble the thing one molecule at a time with a brazillion dollar machine and people laugh about giant pots of molten metal.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
LMAO. I love Uncooperative people. It was bound to happen.

Here is a book that you need to buy that many in the gun control industry would like to see banned. It is called The Liberator Code Book: An Exercise in Free Speech. The book is exactly what it says it is - the 3-D printing code for the Liberator pistol in book form. Think of the $15 cost of this book as a donation to the advancement of free speech.
It has been about a year since I bought a paper copy of any book but I think it might be time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
But are you named Alexa and are you annoying when I'm not asking you to do something
I don't have an Alexa,,  :)   exercising my freedom of choice.

The point of this thread is that we're really all on that list if we wish to be. Gunsmithing is legal and so are machine tools. So is spreading information on the subject, which is Cody Wilson's political point here.
Agree 

I don't remember asking  that but wish I had. [export license]

It's a funny question. I'm not sure what the point is.
,,,  all on that list if  we wish to be  ,,,

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
Wasn't every barrel just molten metal at some point?
Yes.

How to make steel for your home made gunz 

start with big pile of scrap and recycled "already made" steel.

throw it in your furnace and get it real hot and turn the mixer on while for a while.

Now, take a small sample of that to the metallurgist

who can tell you all the stuff that's inside.

then, you have to add some other stuff to the pot

until you  get just the right mixture of stuff in that furnace.

( umm, that's kind of important )

:D   NOW you pour it in your  "ingot  mold" , have a beer and wait for it to cool

as it cools, it's going to contract ( duh ) so your ingot mold is extra tall to provide enough material .

there will still be porosity  imperfections left at the top of your ingot,  ( the metallurgist will call them pipes )

so saw a big chunk off the top and throw it away.  ( goes back into the next batch )

heat your ingot, not quite so hot this time,  just real bright red instead of melted.

and hammer it with thousands of tons of force, a whole lotta times, rolling it around all the time

to compress, squeeze, and squish any remaining "pipe" in your ingot until it is COMPLETLEY gone

cut off another sample for the geek

he will micro polish the sample and microscope inspect for itty bitty black dots.

If he finds any, cut another big chuck off your ingot, 

repeat the heat and hammer stuff until the geek doesn't find any dots.

Now  ingot goes to the rolling mill  where it's turned into bar stock

and you can make a barrel that won't blow yer face off kid.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
, continued cuz I hat to pee.

The issue I have with the laser sintered barrel concept is porosity.

Rated strengths of steels is predicated on being not only chemistry correct, but defect free also.

The steel mills put a LOT of effort in that area, because their Reputation depends on it.

Trying to laser weld little beads into a homogenous mass ?

,  and controlling the ID of the bore to even a "tenth" ? 

, much less millionths ?

Get Jocal, specious, Meli, and a dozen of the other pantywetters

to test fire it, one time each.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
The issue I have with the laser sintered barrel concept is porosity.
Yeah but the one I'm going to make in 30 years, assuming I live so long, won't be laser sintered. As I said, it will be constructed one molecule at a time.

Rated strengths of steels is predicated on being not only chemistry correct, but defect free also.

The steel mills put a LOT of effort in that area, because their Reputation depends on it.
But they probably have the occasional stray molecule out of place. We'll laugh at their antics in the future.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
But they probably have the occasional stray molecule out of place.

We'll laugh at their antics in the future.
Stray molecules point granted.

I have been continually humbled by the "smarts"  of people in earlier ages

who discovered that one can take a  rock, ,

get it really hot and hammer on it, 

and have Iron.

Yeah but the one I'm going to make in 30 years, assuming I live so long, won't be laser sintered. As I said, it will be constructed one molecule at a time.
:D OK,, I'll play.

I want to make a lighter weight rifal barrel  ( pig is tooooo heavy )

The key, non negotiable thing is  +- .0002" machine repeatability when necessary

( will have to slow down feeds & speeds in those critical few molecules that define the inside bore & rifling , )

( , and can ramp back to production speed as I add the material to the OD where +- .005 ~ .010 would be fine. )

I need around 36" of  Z axis travel to have room to mount the tooling fixture and make the barrel, and integral  flash hider .

If I add an integral bayonet ,  figure another 14"  of Z

(  Don't tell how many multiples of brazillions this thing costs in thirty years, ),

(, it would make me tense and affect my focus )

Right now,  for material, I would pick Buckminsterfullerene   ( Buckyballs )

, just pour dark purple powder in the hopper,

check one more time that tooling fixtures are secure and square.

double check feeds & speeds,,  double check the NC file,,

then do ALL the checks again. 

, and push "cycle start" button.

They may indeed laugh at us in 30 years for using melted rocks and "material removal" techniques.

I predict they will be whining that a rifal barrel w/integral flash hider cost $50 grand.

, and be a bit envious that "them OLD guys"  could buy a melted rocks barrel , 

,  for a couple hundred bucks,, 

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
WTF do you think diamond-encrusted nanobots are for?

(Likely 22nd century amateur gunsmith quote)
:eek:   I completely forgot about those little diamond bugs that haven't been born yet,,

OK,  then the chamber/bore tolerances go back to a couple millionths  where I wanted them in the first place

:angry: Make sure the bugs know that this old bastard can be real cranky about critical dims,

, and likely will do VIOLENCE on them if they slack off to the third millionth

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
LMAO. I love Uncooperative people. It was bound to happen.

Here is a book that you need to buy that many in the gun control industry would like to see banned. It is called The Liberator Code Book: An Exercise in Free Speech. The book is exactly what it says it is - the 3-D printing code for the Liberator pistol in book form. Think of the $15 cost of this book as a donation to the advancement of free speech.
It has been about a year since I bought a paper copy of any book but I think it might be time.
I asked my wife for The Liberator Code Book for Christmas. Got the same look I got when I started talking about mounting a flower on the thread protector of a twenty two caliber assault weapon.

I don't think it's such a weird request. I can easily have $15 worth of fun with such a book.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
3D Printing Companies Shun Guns

Major 3D printing company Sculpteo has banned firearm printing.

“We are forbidding firearm printing for ethical reasons,” reads a statement on the website of the France-based company, which also has a branch in San Francisco. “We don’t support firearms and weapons manufacturing.”
I have no problem with this. It does make me wonder how they feel about being protected by unarmed cops and soldiers, but that's their question to sort out.

“If you’re going to 3D print any parts of a gun, since people are coming in here and using our equipment to print, we then have a liability,” he said.

“If I were a 3D printing manufacturer, I would certainly be thinking about this. Quite a bit,” said Tom Baker, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in liability and insurance issues.

Lawmakers in Washington are also thinking about this. Two bills have been introduced in the Senate hoping to make it harder for people to use printers to create fully functional guns.

Lobovsky of the 3D printing firm FormLabs said in the event of a 3D gun tragedy, he doesn’t think technology companies should be to blame.

“We shouldn’t be responsible for that any more than a company that makes knives is responsible for someone who commits a crime with a knife,” Lobovsky said.

If such an event ever happens and a civil lawsuit is lodged against a 3D printing company, law professor Baker says the issue of who took proper safeguards will be important in court.
Mike In Seattle, do they put any safeguards on milling and machining equipment to make it harder for people to use them to create guns?

Just to be safe, I'm going to print out a warning label and stick it on my new book when it arrives.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
Mike In Seattle, do they put any safeguards on milling and machining equipment to make it harder for people to use them to create guns?
The printer guys saw that barrel splatter, the lawyer smells a buck.

They realize that somebody like specious jocal meli  could print a Liberator

, and being stooopud,   aren't going to measure that bore either

,  and then sue the printshop when they get hurt.

The virtue signaling is just that

I built F22 wings, 

and the "bomb release unit"   ( "rack"  ist verboten sprecken )  

, that allow  Buff and Bone  to carry conventional bombs to drop on brown children

some of the guys were building silencers for their paint ball guns

no weapons building prevention safeguards were to be seen

"Major 3D printing company Sculpteo "  should probably BAN me from even walking by their door 

Update from Alexa

The Twelfth Most Dangerous Person in the World  just abdicated and moved to France.

Eleven committed self murder by SUV

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
I really don't KNOW how to tell a mill or lathe or any other machine tool  how to make "anything except a gun part."

( psssst,     gonna let ya in on a bit of insider information that not many know )

Machine Tools are freakin STOOOPUD.  

Dumber than a rock.  They can't even TELL the difference between a gun part or ambulance part.

They can't do moral value judgement.

They can only obey my  instructions

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Machine Tools are freakin STOOOPUD.  

Dumber than a rock.  They can't even TELL the difference between a gun part or ambulance part.
Uh oh. So if one were

hoping to make it harder for people to use printers machine tools to create fully functional guns
then the way to do it would be to make it harder for people to use machine tools, period?

In other news, I learned that one of the things I will NOT be able to do to amuse myself with my new book would be to offer to sell it on Shopify.

I guess. You can't sell

ghost guns and 3D printed guns, including blueprints for such guns
And the "blueprints" are code, even if printed in book form.

They also won't let me sell my squirrel assault weapon because it's

a semi-automatic firearm that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds
Or the assault weapon I want to buy because it has a

threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, silencer, or pretty pink flower.
OK, so they didn't really mention the pink flower part.