16 year old solo circumnavigator

Kalumder

Hamble, UK
good luck to him,

the australian kid did it, so should be able too. Although personally I dont think any one under 18 should sail around the world solo. I just dont like the idea that part of the reasoning someone is doing it is to "be the youngest".

Infidel

Super Anarchist
Kid's got a whole lot better shot than some of the marginally adult nutcases we've seen here. Unfortunately, the right stuff look on a video production could be all for naught with one bad decision. Nonetheless, God's speed and I hope somebody updates the forum so we can cheer him on.

Kid's got a whole lot better shot than some of the marginally adult nutcases we've seen here. Unfortunately, the right stuff look on a video production could be all for naught with one bad decision. Nonetheless, God's speed and I hope somebody updates the forum so we can cheer him on.
You got that right about the nut cases. A great video, but having oceanrescue.tv doing your vid sounds a bit ominous, hope they don't have to supply the rescue part of their service.

Kevin Schultz

He looks prepared. He grew up on boats, that is a lot different than someone coming up with the idea one day to start sailing and then to sail around the world. You definitely grow up differently if you spend all your child hood on and around boats, trying to teach that to an adult just isn't the same, no matter how much time they put into it. The boat looks solid, but the ocean is unpredictable, and being alone for that amount of time is hard on anyone.

But at least hes not doing it on an aluminum trimaran or a concrete bath tub.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
If Stowe can get as far as he has on SchoonerAnne, Skipper Zac should be able to achieve his goal in a well found boat.

One thing going for him is his hands-on experience tearing his boat apart and putting it back together again...a big plus. One small concern is seeing the inflatable tied down on the deck. That's gotta get deflated and stowed below before departure. Working the deck in storm conditions is challenge enuf without having to navigate around a fricking dinghy, or worse, having everything just right with the sails, etc. and then having to wrestle with an inflatable that wants to leave the boat.

Bon voyage, Zac.

OceanRescueTV

Ventura
I don't think the sailing shots are the same boat...
Unless he put teak rubrails on an Islander 36...
Great site you guys have here. No, it's not the same boat. The Islander was on the hard when the video was shot so we had to use a stand in.

OceanRescue.TV is in the business of producing ocean rescue footage and got to know Zac as a result of his boat being worked on by our office here in Ventura. Our sponsorship was producing the video and helping him get some safety equipment.

We are planning on keeping track of him on our site for those interested.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Great site you guys have here. No, it's not the same boat. The Islander was on the hard when the video was shot so we had to use a stand in.
OceanRescue.TV is in the business of producing ocean rescue footage and got to know Zac as a result of his boat being worked on by our office here in Ventura. Our sponsorship was producing the video and helping him get some safety equipment.

We are planning on keeping track of him on our site for those interested.
What's the plan for weather and routing?

sailak

Super Anarchist
AK
I hope he does well, but I have had some personal experience with an Islander 36 that didn't impress upon me any bit of seaworthiness. A 'light' bump on the bottom when anchored cracked the fiberglass around trailing edge of the keel letting in significant amounts of water... any boat that susceptible to damage that easily is off my list for any sort of cruising. Maybe it was just a fluke.