18' Whisper Production Foiling Cat

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL
Doug Lord said:
Yet by your own admission you have achieved 15 seconds of sustained flight.

Just bullshit: about 27 seconds on the short video, about a 40 seconds of foiling for the Fire Arrow on the long version of the first video of the boat flying. But over a thousand hours foiling my first RC foiler, the F3, in addition to my Rave experience. You continually prove that when it comes to me you'll say anything regardless of the facts-you just make stuff up and spit it out........

And in your post the other day(Aug. 29) you were just completely wrong-not a clue!
Short version of the first time flying for the Fire Arrow-foil system 100%:

F3 foiler.jpg

F3 foiler 4.jpg

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 009 - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 012 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Boink

Super Anarchist
Thanks DouChE for posting that video again.............

Again your lack of comprehension of what I said screams out.

You have not ever posted anything that shows more than 15 secs of sustained flight.

Big Hint - Look up the meaning of sustained

It lurches, wobbles and break dances (hip hop styleeee) but it has never displayed any of the qualities aspired to by real designers.

I know that you have a lot invested in this. I believe you quoted 20 years, 1000's of hours. But facts are facts.

Bench Warmer

Paris
I thought it was a thread about the W18,

I wonder if anybody is able to make any reverse-engineering of the fabrication process ?

Honestly I don't care if the foiling model is able to fly more or less than 15 s

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
I am curious about the construction techniques...

Word on the street is the boat might not be as fast as it looks...curious about what the upwind and downwind averages are as reported by the design team? We can hold 12.5kts average easily upwind on the F18 (peak speeds over 13 in flat water) and averages north of 19 kts downwind with peaks in the 23-25kts range. I haven't measured reaching speeds but they are high too.

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
After reading the OYR report I suspect it may not be faster than an F18 overall. With this foil configuration they really ran into trouble against a highly refined competitor. A lot has been learned since OYR though so maybe not. On the other hand... who cares? Speed is relative, going 10kts in my laser feels way faster than 15 in my F-27. I have never foiled but I think the feeling must be magical, I really don't think I would care what an F18 was doing, especially if I could OD race with other W18s.

david r

Anarchist
pond
The topic title is wrong. It's 20'.

At half the weight of an f18, i don't see how it will be slower around a course. If it is it could be the sailors. Where would all the drag be coming from for a foiling boat to be slower.

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks for that. Do you have any insight on "Whites Formula"-are they still the builder? Do you know if there are any limits on the foil flap movement-is the foil system free to develop righting moment?

NacramanUK

Thanks for that. Do you have any insight on "Whites Formula"-are they still the builder? Do you know if there are any limits on the foil flap movement-is the foil system free to develop righting moment?
White Formula are the builders and distributors.........White Formula is owned and run by Rob White (an Olympic helm on the Tornado in his own right), who is the son of Reg White (who won a gold at the Montreal Olympics on the Tornado and won the Little Americas Cup a number of times in the early to mid sixties sailing various C class ) and owned and ran Sailcraft in the UK (a noted catamaran builder).

As for flap limits and developing righting moment I don't have a clue!.......why not try emailing the designer for these answers, he is a nice guy and a real numbers man......

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks. I took your advice-not sure I had the right e-mail address. I asked the guys at Whites about it and got a response from Thom. Maybe I'll connect with Ron.....

PS-the Whites website is still down.....

Bench Warmer

Paris
For a new market player, the A-Cat market is very tricky, IMHO one can prefer less risky approach.

Everybody can imagine that with a standard rig Fiberfoam + Ashby on a W18 you get the most advanced A-Cat of the world

May be, the confusion regarding the lenght is not so innocent?

RobG

Super Anarchist
Wasn't it answered over a year ago?

In fact, according to her designer, keeping both the wings submerged is the key to her stability and performance. On take-off both foils provide lift but as soon as one foil is more heavily loaded than the other, the lazy one acts as a counter force, keeping the angle of heel in check.
http://uk.boats.com/reviews/solent-whisper-foiling-cat-glides-southampton/

There must be a setting change on the windward foil for that to occur, the video hints at 7° of movement for foil angle, which is a lot when there is also a flap. It will be interesting to see it in steep waves where it's not possible to keep both main foils in the water all the time, particularly with trailing wands. It looks good in flat water, an encouraging start.

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks for that-I missed it. The wording seems a bit convoluted for saying the windward foil develops downforce? On the Rave both main foils are set at +2.5 degrees and the windward foil still develops downforce automatically,when needed. Some Raves have the facility to rotate the windward main foil from +2.5 to zero to increase downforce and/or reduce drag. It would be interesting to know the Whisper set-up. Great boat-one of the best of the new foilers!

vaplaya

After reading the OYR report I suspect it may not be faster than an F18 overall. With this foil configuration they really ran into trouble against a highly refined competitor. A lot has been learned since OYR though so maybe not. On the other hand... who cares? Speed is relative, going 10kts in my laser feels way faster than 15 in my F-27. I have never foiled but I think the feeling must be magical, I really don't think I would care what an F18 was doing, especially if I could OD race with other W18s.
For $36,000 there needs to be a hell of a lot of magic!!!!!!!!

It looks like you can have it on an S9 for less that $18,000.

Cheers,

joking

For $36,000 there needs to be a hell of a lot of magic!!!!!!!!

It looks like you can have it on an S9 for less that $18,000.

Cheers,
Or on a moth for 10000 ;)

Doug Lord

Super Anarchist
Cocoa Beach, FL
SOLENT WHISPER SPECIFICATIONS

LOA: (incl bowsprit) 6.2m

Beam: 2.3m

Foil length: 1.0m

Max ride height: 800mm

Displacement: 80kg

Crew weight: 150kg

Mainsail: 12.9sq m

Jib: 3.2sq m

Spi: 13.5sq m

See http://uk.boats.com/reviews/boats/solent-whisper-foiling-cat-glides-southampton/
Of all the new foilers if I was going to buy one this would be it. But I'll build the Fire Arrow instead......

Metric converted by me:

SOLENT WHISPER SPECIFICATIONS:
LOA: (incl bowsprit) 6.2m/20.34'

--

Beam: 2.3m/7.5'

--

Foil length: 1.0m/3.28'

--

Max ride height: 800mm/2.6'

--

Weight: 80kg/176lb.

--