1958 22 Square designed by Knud Riemers

hugob

Hello Anarchists,

I was hoping to gather some historical data on a boat in Sydney harbour Greenwitch . She is called "Skerry Of Kurraba"

is a Knud Reimers designed 22 Square Metre built by Alan Griffin in 1958. She had a refurbish at Cremorne Shiprights and thats about all I know.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
There were never many of these 22 Sq Metres on Sydney Harbour

(there were only two I can recall).

I used to sail at RSYS on a bright-finished boat belonging to the founder of Civil & Civic/Lend Lease. I shan't use his name but you can figure this out or PM me.

She moored in Careening Cove K'billi in the 60-65 era, had a distinctive wooden walking-stick mast and was one of well from those days. Her ribs and planking were varnished to a piano finish, the owner was fastidious. She sailed like a dream with a rail under in stiff nor-easters and we did well upwind in a blow but not so hot downwind with a smallish chute.

She was a jewel, affordable only by the well-heeled and the owner may well have bought it new, for money was no object. I don't recall its name but I am certain it was not Skerry of Kurraba. (That name has the odious smack of new money and trying too hard.)

The other 22 was white and I seem to recall had a slightly higher coachhouse with small ports. The question is, which boat are you looking at?

If it is in reasonable nick and the price is right she'd make a gorgeous addition to any fleet but I fear the cost of upkeep might be prohibitive.

Try contacting RSYS and asking details of any 22 sq metres in the 60s. Failing that, locate the family of the owner mentioned above and get the scoop directly.

My only clue is this: If you aint Dutch, you aint much. I fear the owner has left this planet now but his family survives I know and someone may know a little more.

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
I think were more than two 22 squares; Peter Cole had Flamingo for years. I think Zephyrus, which (like Flamingo) spent years on Lake Mac, was a massive 22 square; one of the later ones that was about as long as many a 30 square.I think she had a slightly higher than usual coachhouse and was white. I assumed she was a 30 until the owner put me right, and there were definitely some enormous 22s. She may, however, now be uprigged.

In '84/'85, Skerry of Kurraba was registered at RSYS, had sail number 165, and was owned by an A.L. Cohen (info from an old YA NSW annual). I'm a metre boat fan and I don't recall seeing the boat racing. I've been through all the Australia Seacrafts and most of the Modern Boatings of that time and cannot recall seeing the boat.

julian

Anarchist
I learnt to sail in the 50s on Avenger, known then as a 17sq M. She was purchased from Peter Cole. Peter's new boat, a 22 sq M called Flamingo, was in fact built by Alan Griffin at around 1958. As a young kid I used to drop in there to see how his new boat was coming along. Not sure about the Knud Reimers design, because Peter was pretty keen on his own designs! This Skerry of Kurraba could have been Flamingo.

Seem to remember that Zephyrus started out as a 22 sq M and was uprigged to a 30 Sq M. There was only a few of the 22 Sq M in Sydney, all the punters wanted a 30 sq M!

hugob

Thanks Julian/Chris/proofeditwrite,

Much appreciated, I new I could dig out some anarchy 22 square harbour history. I will head down to RSYS and have a dig in the archives.

Well Skerry of kurraba is her most recent name and she does have 165 on the sail. The rig has been changed to aluminium a self furler installed. The timber ribbing inside is amazing. Painted white though I can imaging the whole inside fully varnished and would look spectacular. The current owner has let her sit on the bay with covers blown off and a broken bilge pump. heartbreaking.

I believe she is constructed of Honduran Mahogany.

She does look like a Flamingo with a slight scoop from hatch fwd.

Its a labor of love and with some TLC this skerry cutter will have some respect on the water. She is unique to say the least. This boat I hope will be a project for my father. He has survived cancer this year and I want to get him out on the water in a vessel of his Youth.

I will let you know how things pan out Hopefully March/April in the water.

Thanks very much for your reply

We had a 30square sailing with my Club for 3 or 4 Seasons, fibreglass if I recall, called "Brand", arguably one of the most elegant things you ever did see on the breeze.

This one had running backstays, a massive mast head kite, and 150% Plus Headsails. There was some debate as to whether it was a 30 square or 22 after it was sold.

Give you the Hee bee Gee Bees though dip poling standing out there with nothing to hang on to.

Owner had the boat on the market for a season or so, and finally sold it to fund his "Changing Camps" op.

And no I'm not kidding.

hugob

Owner had the boat on the market for a season or so, and finally sold it to fund his "Changing Camps" op.
And no I'm not kidding.
Fair Dinkum? I heard of Changing Camps mabye from Skiffs to 40 footers but that is a crack up!!

Cheers Mate

hugob

Latest posts