2 + 1 = 3

theParadoxOfThrift

Super Anarchist
Mos-Vegas
FFS - everywhere you look there is outrage. The home page article seems to imply that there is a problem with two teams cooperating.

"Earth to the outraged author of the home page article" - the Auckland-based teams have been cooperating for more than a year and it will continue until the Cup match. LR and ETNZ have made a mutually beneficial arrangement that is entirely within the laws outlined in the protocol. Too bad if it's 'unfair' or not within the 'spirit' of the competition.

ETNZ are deadly fucking serious about taking the Cup back home. They have been serious players in this game and they were irritable when Ernesto and Larry turned the AC into a billionaires vanity event and nearly drove every other AC team into oblivion. Larry has resurrected the event as an overly-expensive logistcal nightmare, complete with an irrelevant AC45 side show.

LR and ETNZ have both been subjected to a long period of OR and Alinghi wankery and they passionately want to see the Cup wrested from their grip. I wish our underdogs well in this most honourable pursuit.

If Artemis and OR have a concern about what LR and ETNZ are doing they should pull their fingers out of their collective arses and get their programmes on track. If that means cooperating then good luck to them.

Boybland

Super Anarchist
Morioka, Japan
There was a time when helping fellow competitors get ready for a sailing event was considered very good sportmanship, ahh how the times have changed eh.

Couchsailer

Dunedin
Oh give me a break!!! The guy goes & gives them some advice, so what?! All of a sudden they have a nefarious three boat program?! Talk about hysterical... If they were really doing a dodgy three boat program it wouldn't be with the exact same boat that they've just finished flogging to death would it? I suspect there's a bit of bitterness about the stalling of the OTUSA program.

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
ar and or

probably also had plans to sail against each other

and if korea and china had bought the plans boat

no doubt they would have sailed together

AND given each other a hand when bits broke, as in the home page photo

all that would have been fine if the defender and COR had good boats to sail

but as they are both treading water

they are not particularly happy about seeing 2 strong teams go forward with 2 good designs

what'd ya do when they have no one to blame but themselves?

cry them a river

now you say you're sorry

for breaking your boat

well you can cry us a river

cry us river

we cried a river

when we broke ours

team_nz_mast.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnmoon

Everyone relax.....Steve Wilson works for Southern Spars. Builder of the wing for both boats. I don't think this is a big deal. Now if Nick Holroyd was onboard, it might be a different matter. But this marriage was approved. Aren't they allowed they share designs? Then why not designers? it's the new cup. It's more way more interesting.

Why didn't Torbjen whats-his-nuts give ETNZ forty million. Then he's be looking like the smart one here. This is all about finding the loopholes that have't been closed. But it looks like AR and OR missed the mark with their initial designs.

Destroying boats and breaking wings and beams in not a good look. Especialluy since they both have about ten times the money available.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
It is a fair question though. As on the (alleged) front page, if it was an Oracle staffer on Artemis I think there would be legit complaints raised.

If its true the guy is Southern Spars but happened to be wearing a TNZ shirt its not so bad.

But definitely on the face of it I think its a bad look.

Fantastic to see how smart teams are with limited budgets compared to OR.

ETNZ is so much advanced compared to OR now that I doubt they will catch up

Hopefully the kiwi's will change (when they win) the cup back to new exciting monohull so we do not have to look at this non shows again and start sailing decent racing again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwi Spy

Super Anarchist
The only problem with all of this, is that the shot was taken on 27 October, not yesterday, and was taken by Pierre Orphanidis (Vsail.info) when Luna Rossa was on a mooring, and doing load testing in Westhaven, and had never been sailing, at that stage.

Steve Wilson has a long association with Southern Spars who built the wingsails for both ETNZ and Luna Rossa.

Wonder why this issue was never raised at the time?

RG

pjfranks

Super Anarchist
i'm loving it
The only problem with all of this, is that the shot was taken on 27 October, not yesterday, and was taken by Pierre Orphanidis (Vsail.info) when Luna Rossa was on a mooring, and doing load testing in Westhaven, and had never been sailing, at that stage.

Steve Wilson has a long association with Southern Spars who built the wingsails for both ETNZ and Luna Rossa.

Wonder why this issue was never raised at the time?

RG
Its okay under rule#33

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Not only does Steve Wilson work for Southern Spars he is one of 2 Directors and one of the lead rig designers.

Southern Spars are the contracted builders of the TNZ/LR wings.

I will bet that the unknown author of that article will not appear in this forum and defend their article.