20+ Footer - Building in Hawaii

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Here are a few photos of my new 20+ footer (it's a few inches longer than 20 feet). Essentially a scaled version of my GP26 design, and without the GP class restructions I'm using carbon for the inner skins on the hull and deck. Built all the flat panel stuff first; frames, topsides panels, deck panels. Then built the cockpit and deck and hauled it up into the shop rafters. Been setting up the hull plug last week and nearly ready to fit the foam core for the outer hull laminate.

Setting_up_Hull_Plug_1_copy.jpg

Setting_up_Hull_Plug_3_copy.jpg

Inner_Deck_Laminate_copy.jpg

Cockpit_Carbon_copy.jpg

Topside_Panel_copy.jpg

Port_Deck_Bagged_copy.jpg

Deck_Flipped_copy.jpg

Final_Deck_Clear_coat_4_copy.jpg

1st_Coat_Primer_Deck_copy.jpg

Savage 17

Super Anarchist
Looks good Jim. Please keep us posted.

Did you make any progress with finding a builder for the USA GP26? Last you posted you were talking with Betts?

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
The "hot" small keel boat class in Hawaii is the Cal 20, and I just can't sail one of those ever again

The concept of this 20 foot “cruiser/racer” is that it's a boat that 2 people can easily sail with the smaller spinnaker.

The rig is a broken Melges 24 spar that I need to fix. It'll be keel stepped, so I'll loose a couple feet of hoist.

I have a M24 spinnaker for the BIG kite - it'll also loose a couple feet of hoist and girth.

The rig set-up is a lot like the Melges 20 - fat-head main and no backstay, although I'm going with an adjustable forestay.

Want a fixed bowsprit, but realize I need to remove it for docking, Haven't quite figured out the best solution yet.

All-up weight is targeted at 570kg (using a M24 reshaped bulb), or 230 kg lighter than the Melges 24.

There are actually a few concensions to "cruising", that make the boat much more useful to take out for an afternoon "cruise";

The tail-feathers at the stern act as a swim platform, with a foot pump and shower thing at the transom -(portable bladder water tank as part of the "cruising" set-up.)

There's a structural bow tank with a platform that is just big enough for a berth.

The parrot gets a small dodger to hang out under.

Preliminary sail and deck plan attached

6m_Sailplan.doc

Attachments

• 6m_Sailplan.doc
    49.5 KB · Views: 854

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Did you make any progress with finding a builder for the USA GP26? Last you posted you were talking with Betts?
The GP26 fleet is growing steadily with a new build starting up in Europe, and hopefully there will be more interest in the US soon.

But the entire boat building industry has been slowed by the economic situation, so we'll have to wait a while until things start heating up again.

Jim would be very interested in building the GP26, but this will not happen until the are customers.

Savage 17

Super Anarchist
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Is the 20ft boat designed as kit boat? Like the i-550? The i-550 i can order pre cut-out panels and have them shipped to me for final assemble? Racer/Cruiser have a much bigger audience, first time I have ever seen it done with a 20ft.

GP-26 - I feel alot of people like the boat, but aren't going to spend the money on the boat until more are built and racing. How are more going to get built? I know great pricing always works. It is really a tough sale with the boat being a one -off like a MORC or IMS boat currently. The more information you can publish to the boarder audience the better chances of getting some interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth

Singapore
Looks interesting Jim.

What is the measurement data?

Do keep us posted on the progress.

The GP26 fleet is growing steadily with a new build starting up in Europe, and hopefully there will be more interest in the US soon.

But the entire boat building industry has been slowed by the economic situation, so we'll have to wait a while until things start heating up again.

Jim would be very interested in building the GP26, but this will not happen until the are customers.

Snapper

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Jim,

What's the length of the fixed sprit and how are you planning to make it removable for docking/trailering?

Chris

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Jim,
Thanks for the info. Is the 20ft boat designed as kit boat? Like the i-550? The i-550 i can order pre cut-out panels and have them shipped to me for final assemble? Racer/Cruiser have a much bigger audience, first time I have ever seen it done with a 20ft.

GP-26 - I feel alot of people like the boat, but aren't going to spend the money on the boat until more are built and racing. How are more going to get built? I know great pricing always works. It is really a tough sale with the boat being a one -off like a MORC or IMS boat currently. The more information you can publish to the boarder audience the better chances of getting some interest.

I'll have quite a nice hull plug that I'd be able to build a few hull bottom parts from, so a "kit" could be supplied with this part and as many of the other pre-made panels as someone required. The original concept of this design was to be a kit boat similar to the i550, but these panel built boats have compromised hull forms that have no appeal to me, and I couldn't rationalize spending the time and money for this.

I use the term "cruiser" very loosely; the boat is very powered up.

The rig is a couple feet taller than the Melges 20, with a larger big spinnaker (I will have a small spinnaker too).

The keel is about a foot deeper with a heavier bulb than the M20, but the all up displacement is only 50 kgs more, which the slightly longer hull easily accommodates.

I’ve drawn a single rudder, but have been thinking it would be better with twin rudders

I’ve concentrated more on actually building the boat than producing pretty drawings and renderings.

I have a lot more detailed working drawings that I will work to clean up and post.

But today I’m working towards getting some foam on the hull plug.

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Looks interesting Jim.What is the measurement data?

Do keep us posted on the progress.

The sprit is about 3 1/2 feet long.

My latest concept has the aft end of the sprit fitting into a socket at the stem, with a small purchase in the sprit that will allow the bobstay to be tensioned after fitting the sprit.

To remove the sprit just uncleat this purchase to slacken the stay, then just pull the spit out and lay it on the foredeck.

Savage 17

Super Anarchist
Jim,

Boat is moving along quickly!! Please keep us posted. Hopefully Kevin can start posting more regularly.

Jim,

I'll have quite a nice hull plug that I'd be able to build a few hull bottom parts from, so a "kit" could be supplied with this part and as many of the other pre-made panels as someone required. The original concept of this design was to be a kit boat similar to the i550, but these panel built boats have compromised hull forms that have no appeal to me, and I couldn't rationalize spending the time and money for this.

I use the term "cruiser" very loosely; the boat is very powered up.

The rig is a couple feet taller than the Melges 20, with a larger big spinnaker (I will have a small spinnaker too).

The keel is about a foot deeper with a heavier bulb than the M20, but the all up displacement is only 50 kgs more, which the slightly longer hull easily accommodates.

I’ve drawn a single rudder, but have been thinking it would be better with twin rudders

I’ve concentrated more on actually building the boat than producing pretty drawings and renderings.

I have a lot more detailed working drawings that I will work to clean up and post.

But today I’m working towards getting some foam on the hull plug.
Good work on actually building the boat instead of pretty renderings!

I'd recommend making the prod as long as possible for much easier gybeing and sailing deep downwind.

Sweet design.

I agree with you position concerning the i550 - great concept, just not attractive enough with the flat sides and such to make me want to take the leap.

Now this design would certainly fit the bill.

Please keep the posts coming concerning the boat and the build.

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Is it just me or have you decided against freeboard?
I think that is just the hulll to the chine like the 26, and then there are topsides to go on.

Exactly Advocate.

Here's a photo of a topside panel.

Where Kevin is building his GP26 in a female plug with topsides and botom laminated in a single hit, due to space limitations I've elected to go for a smaller hull bottom plug and attach the topside panels later.

Before I built the real boat I built a quick 1/5th scale model to confirm that my surface program was accurately developing the topside panel shape (see attachment).

The shape was perfect so I felt confident to go full size.

Topside_Panel_copy.jpg

Topside_Panel_Pattern_1.jpg

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Hull bottom foam all on - 6 pieces total

Topside panels going on today - will glass outer hull bottom laminate directly to topside panel edge which is recessd a couple millimeteres to accept extra layers.

Topside_panels_going_on_1.jpg

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Hull bottom foam all on - 6 pieces total
Topside panels going on today - will glass outer hull bottom laminate directly to topside panel edge which is recessd a couple millimeteres to accept extra layers.

Most of the topside panel surface has already been faired and primed (white paint on panel).