2007 Swift Solo North Americans and MPS Invitational

bdal

I feel sooooo much better now. :p I though Buchan's name was spelled with a C but then I have a Kameron for a son.
Don't get too excited. We've been letting Carl hone his cedar strip building skills on a water ballasted 40 foot leadmine (s-glass and cabon over cedar) before we begin twisting his arm to build and sail a real boat.

Bram

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Don't get too excited. We've been letting Carl hone his cedar strip building skills on a water ballasted 40 foot leadmine (s-glass and cabon over cedar) before we begin twisting his arm to build and sail a real boat.
Bram
Ya let him get used to lead, dring lots of beer and rum and maybe I'll have a chance for the first five minutes he's in the boat. Carl is one of the best in a boat I've ever seen. So smooth in the boat and so fast. What I remember of him in Lasers was that his boat was the quietest in the fleet and very slippery. I never got close enough to see what he was doing.

bistros

Super Anarchist
I wonder ... since you folks are going to be in the neighborhood are the Voodoo people showing up? IIRC they sail out of Jericho as well.

I really missed the SwiftSolo and the MPS at the OSGP - nobody made it. I was hoping to see the boats on the water.

Given that Fugu always does a great job of reporting, I'll be following things closely.

Cheers,

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I wonder ... since you folks are going to be in the neighborhood are the Voodoo people showing up? IIRC they sail out of Jericho as well.
I really missed the SwiftSolo and the MPS at the OSGP - nobody made it. I was hoping to see the boats on the water.

Given that Fugu always does a great job of reporting, I'll be following things closely.

Cheers,
I have no idea about the Voodoo. If I see it out, I'll let everyone know what I think though. I thought there were some coming up to the OSGP but it must have been a different regatta and I got confused. It wouldn't be the first time nor will it be the last. You know how it is for those of us that are hairline challenged and long in the tooth. :lol:

I'm not sure if you guys want to see just sailing photo's or if you would like to see rigging pictures as well. I'll try to get a picture of "Dances With Wind", in my not so humble opinion, the best looking boat I've seen yet. I'll have to hide mine in shame if someone comes up with a better looking boat.

bdal

Cheers,
We'll try to get the Voodoo folks to come out during the clinics.

With several more Swifts completed for next season, I'm hoping we'll be supporting your regatta--especially if we can put together a clinic beforehand. I hope to see you there.

kris_with_kite.jpg

Bram

I'm not sure if you guys want to see just sailing photo's or if you would like to see rigging pictures as well. I'll try to get a picture of "Dances With Wind", in my not so humble opinion, the best looking boat I've seen yet. I'll have to hide mine in shame if someone comes up with a better looking boat.
As a swift-wannabe, sailing a 29er-X, I am interested in both sets of pics: sailing to see stance and trim, and rigging to see if some systems can be adapted.

I think all the swifts are gorgeous boats -- none should be hidden in shame...

On another note, do you expect that next year's NAs will be held closer to the East coast? Are the NJ swifties making the long trip to Jerico?

Robert B.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
As a swift-wannabe, sailing a 29er-X, I am interested in both sets of pics: sailing to see stance and trim, and rigging to see if some systems can be adapted.I think all the swifts are gorgeous boats -- none should be hidden in shame...

On another note, do you expect that next year's NAs will be held closer to the East coast? Are the NJ swifties making the long trip to Jerico?

Robert B.
My guess is it will be in the midwest or back in Florida. I think that part of the reason that we moved out west, at least for me, is that most of the support was from the west and a third trip to Florida or similar distance was a little much. I'd like to see the NA's switch coasts and maybe a midwest venue every year. Maybe when we get enough boats to have a US, Canadian's, and NA championships, we could do a three year rotation where one of the events would be in one of the three regions each year. We still have some growing to do to get there though.

Oh and for those who are saying "Why would you go to all that trouble to build a boat that only a handful of people sail?", I have to say that it would have been a crime not to. I would have missed out on some of the most exciting sailing of my life and one of the most rewarding projects as well. The closest thing to OD we have out here is six U20's and though fun, they aren't neer as fun to sail as my Swift. OD is great but I'd rather sail what I love to sail than be stuck in a 4kt shit box just because that is what the crowd is in.

bistros

Super Anarchist
My guess is it will be in the midwest or back in Florida. I think that part of the reason that we moved out west, at least for me, is that most of the support was from the west and a third trip to Florida or similar distance was a little much. I'd like to see the NA's switch coasts and maybe a midwest venue every year. Maybe when we get enough boats to have a US, Canadian's, and NA championships, we could do a three year rotation where one of the events would be in one of the three regions each year. We still have some growing to do to get there though.
Oh and for those who are saying "Why would you go to all that trouble to build a boat that only a handful of people sail?", I have to say that it would have been a crime not to. I would have missed out on some of the most exciting sailing of my life and one of the most rewarding projects as well. The closest thing to OD we have out here is six U20's and though fun, they aren't neer as fun to sail as my Swift. OD is great but I'd rather sail what I love to sail than be stuck in a 4kt shit box just because that is what the crowd is in.
Agreed on most points, although I do not think the U20 is a 4KSB! Perhaps you might think it a 15KSB but not a 4KSB.

I'm generally in your camp, but you do have your O30 for family usage - the Swift is NOT a perfect fit for people who can not afford to have more than one boat. You are fortunate enough to be able to indulge fantasy and practicality, but many folks make hard choices and live with them happily due to their own circumstances.

Cheers,

MustoSkiffUSA

Cheers,
There are three more Mustos going into the East Coast area this year, with one more in Toronto, but it is still taking time to get things organised! One of these days, I will find an East Coast sales rep for the Musto, and that would help with things like the OSGP.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Agreed on most points, although I do not think the U20 is a 4KSB! Perhaps you might think it a 15KSB but not a 4KSB.
I'm generally in your camp, but you do have your O30 for family usage - the Swift is NOT a perfect fit for people who can not afford to have more than one boat. You are fortunate enough to be able to indulge fantasy and practicality, but many folks make hard choices and live with them happily due to their own circumstances.

Cheers,
I am seriously thinking of getting the lead out and selling the O30. I don't sail it that much anymore and if I need a lead fix, I have the OPB option as well. I never said the Swift is a perfect fit for anyone but to those that think it is a waste of time and money because there aren't 10,000 of them, I'd say that I've never concidered mine a waste of anything. I know the U20 isn't a 4ktSB but I find myself wishing I was on my Swift when sailing one. If you need the lead and room for more, it is a very good boat and I'd gladly trace my O30 for one. A U20 requires less crew, can be single-handed much easier, is less expensive to maintain, and can be hauled around much easier than the O30.

I don't know how much "fantacy" I have. It all seems very real to me. :)

MustoSkiffUSA

I'm thinking that Florida next spring would be a great venue! I have several east coast Mustos now, and it's just so much nicer than sailing here in the spring.

I never said the Swift is a perfect fit for anyone but to those that think it is a waste of time and money because there aren't 10,000 of them, I'd say that I've never concidered mine a waste of anything.
We all sail for our own reasons -- some are hard core racers and they need competion, and others just want to spend time on the water improving their art... Everyone has their needs, and interestingly enough no boat will satisfy 100% of them so compromizes are necessary. I have a solo boat for the challenge, and an alternate platform to take the family on an outing.

Regards,

Robert B.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I'm thinking that Florida next spring would be a great venue! I have several east coast Mustos now, and it's just so much nicer than sailing here in the spring.
I think there are more thinking that way than for the midwest. I'd be OK for another trip to Florida but three years in a row would have been a bit much. I remeber hearing somwhere that there were a number of Swifties that were missing the trip to Florida. In my case, my kidneys and wallet needed a break.

bdal

I'd have to agree. Jane and I really missed Florida this spring. If we decided to do that, however, we need to support a regatta in the upper midwest in the summer. I will offer to transport 4 boats (split the costs) from the northwest.

For those who plan to have their Swifts done for a spring 2008 event, please try to schedule the work to have it done 2 months in advance. We invaribly end up wild and crazy lead up to the regattas as everyone is going flat out to get their boats done (yes, I know I'm dreaming).

I'll see you on the water tomorrow night--looking forward to hearing about Garda.

Bram

I'm am so looking forward to FL possible next year... I am now with in a days drive to St Pete's...and the drive to the NW well it is long.

As for the east coast guys coming over to NA... just didn't work-out nicley. At first it was going to be myself and one other, but that fell though. Now I am going... (I am so ready to be on the road and heading NW.)

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I'm am so looking forward to FL possible next year... I am now with in a days drive to St Pete's...and the drive to the NW well it is long.
As for the east coast guys coming over to NA... just didn't work-out nicley. At first it was going to be myself and one other, but that fell though. Now I am going... (I am so ready to be on the road and heading NW.)
It will be good to see you again and see your progress. My trailer hooks up in a week.

bdal

It will be good to see you again and see your progress. My trailer hooks up in a week.
Fugu,

I hope you and Ron have rounded up launching and rigging help for the N/As. Don't want to find out that I have to deal with my Swift alone. The picture is just a reminder of the job I did last year when I ran the event.

Bram Boat_girls.jpg

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Fugu,I hope you and Ron have rounded up launching and rigging help for the N/As. Don't want to find out that I have to deal with my Swift alone. The picture is just a reminder of the job I did last year when I ran the event.

Bram View attachment 47287
That was Kris that rounded up the skippers' meeting entertainment. I'll have my family along this time but I don't have anything that matches what Kris provided last year.

MustoSkiffUSA

I'd have to agree. Jane and I really missed Florida this spring. If we decided to do that, however, we need to support a regatta in the upper midwest in the summer. I will offer to transport 4 boats (split the costs) from the northwest.
For those who plan to have their Swifts done for a spring 2008 event, please try to schedule the work to have it done 2 months in advance. We invaribly end up wild and crazy lead up to the regattas as everyone is going flat out to get their boats done (yes, I know I'm dreaming).

I'll see you on the water tomorrow night--looking forward to hearing about Garda.

Bram
Bram, we will need to see if we can get a container! I probably won't be able to drive, but you never know ...

I suspect we will be able to get at least 3 Mustos from the NW, maybe 4. And then 2-4 from the East Coast.

bdal

Bram, we will need to see if we can get a container! I probably won't be able to drive, but you never know ...
I suspect we will be able to get at least 3 Mustos from the NW, maybe 4. And then 2-4 from the East Coast.
Ron,

Let's talk about this in Canada with the other guys. I'll try to get a shipping price but I'd guess it will be around $1300 per boat--round trip. It may be cheaper by rail? Does anybody have experience with this?

Bram