2007 Swift Solo North Americans and MPS Invitational

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Fugu
You should have stayed home! ;) It's very sunny, 82deg and blowing 15-20 here...

WCB
The rain quit this morning and it was overcast with light wind. We had some starting practices. I was over early as often as I nailed. I've been hearing that it is 104F there. It has been 20 C here.

Two more Swifts were rigged today and it looks like they will hit the water tomorrow. I think they still have some things to finish later but they look sailable. It should be sunny and I'm not sure how much wind but I'm hoping it blows. I'm by far the heaviest here. Mark White has been fully trapping and I am in a crouch on the rail. Kind of hard on my already stressed knee. Ice, motrin, and glucosamine for the night cap.

Bill Scheumann just sent a link for a web cam and current conditions for Jericho sailing club. Some might find it interesting.
Jericho BC web cam.
Spotted a musto-skiff...

webcam4.jpg

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

wfs03

Bill Scheumann just sent a link for a web cam and current conditions for Jericho sailing club. Some might find it interesting.
Jericho BC web cam.
Fugu,

Upon dropping in to the Jericho Web Cam several times today, I spotted several Swifts and Mustos coming and going. It's too bad that the resolution is so low that you can not even read the sail numbers....lol. Or maybe in your case that's a good thing! Can't tell who's winning or losing. Anyway, the weather looks better today, so I hope that you are getting in some great sailing. Remember to wave at the camera as you go bye, as you never know who's watching.

Bill S.

m.h.valentine

Anarchist
BC
Nice weather finally! And the rest of the week will be hot... hopefully some breeze in the afternoon.

Even harder to work when the webcam is showing what I'm missing... :(

Have fun!

M

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Yesterday was a great day and the last of the clinic. Racing starts today. I tore my kite bad in the first race so I dropped out after the finish and ran in for repairs. I hope I have it fixed well enough to make it through the regatta. If not, I'll probably be buying one off one of the guys that hasn't finished their boat in time or borrow one from Bram or Ron Watt.

There are three Musto's here and they look like they've been having a good time. MustoSkiffUSA was mixing it up in the front of the pack and the others about mid fleet. I think the top Swifts were finishing first but it also looked like MustoSkiffUSA was having more fun blasting around than trying to mix it up. We'll have to see what happens when it counts.

I have to say that the Jericho sailing club has been very good to us and have gone the extra mile in every way. The facilities are great and the people have been fantastic. The sun looks nice too now.

I'll try to get details of today's racing and happenings later. As they say up here "Cheers".

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Sorry no concrete results from yesterday. The RC hit the beach and took off. Something about having to get ready for the fireworks show off the park later that night. Ron Watt and Bram Dallyare trading for the lead, I think I am sitting third and Mark White at 147# is doing quite well in fourth. It looks like the rest of the fleet is getting some swimming practice. I had the lead in the last race then blew the final gybe, hour glassed and then capsized. I had to finish with the kite on the deck. Totally knackerd. Five races in about three hours. The winds were probably 12-18 kts.

For those wondering, Mark White is around 147# if I remember hearing correctly and he is quite able to get around the course sailing much higher than anyone else and holding his own.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
OK standings after two days:

Skipper Race

Name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Total

Swift Solos

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bram Dally 3 2 1 2 2 1 1 [6] 1 13

Ron Watt 1 1 2 1 1 2 [6] 2 3 13

Robert Harper [6] 2 3 3 3 3 3 1 2 20

Mike Jocelyn 5 4 5 5 [DNC] DNC 4 4 7 43

Mark White 2 [DNC] DNC 4 4 DNC 5 5 4 44

Roger Wright 4 3 4 [DNC] DNC DNC 2 3 6 47

Karl [DNC] DNC DNC DNC DNC DNC 2 3 5 55

Keith Council [DNC] DNC DNC 6 DNC DNC 8 8 8 66

MPS

Ron Radko 1 1 1 1 1 [DNC]2 1 1 9

John [2] 2 2 2 2 1 1 2 2 14

Yesterday there were a lot of DNC's due to strong winds an breakdowns. One more spinnaker bit the dust and a couple of other little issues that were sorted out. The wind built durring the day and with the change in tide, the waves also got larger as the day went on.

Today the wind was light and VERY shifty. It also proved that us fat bastard can make these things go in little wind. I had three poor starts but managed to pull back into the races. There was a huge 180 shift in the second race where I had to drop the kite and tack around the "leward mark" then re toss the kite and go blasting through the rest of the fleet as they had to drop kite and start to beat to the mark. We tried one more race and I almost caught Bram at the finish only to have the wind drop and the current kept me from crossing the line until the next puff came in. We decided enough was enough and came in for rest and brew.

Again, I'll see if I can get some pics. for you guys.

JFunk, you owe me some of your boat under construction. You've been holding out mate.

jfunk

Super Anarchist
I will get it sorted. Everything I have done is in Australian Sailing.

I want you guys to see the way I have handled the layout for the wings on the deck. It's come out really well.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I will get it sorted. Everything I have done is in Australian Sailing.
I want you guys to see the way I have handled the layout for the wings on the deck. It's come out really well.
No one had downloaded their cameras yet for me to fill the memory stick. I've sent them with someone that will load one up so if time permits, I'll add them prior to racing tomorrow.

The Mustos are running fairly fast. Ron is always in the top few boats. The racing has been close at times and it is interesting to see the different ways of solving a similar niche.

Hopefully we get better winds tomorrow. Though I did well in the light and shifty winds, I didn't have much fun. Coming back in is interesting because you have probably three different sailing schools going in and out as well as a steady stream of disabled sailors on the Martin 16's. They have a fantastic program to get disabled people out. Some can use ramps and sail the boats themselves and some are lifted in using a hoist and can either use a puffer to steer or someone sails the boat while they enjoy the ride.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
OK all I have are light air pics. from yesterday.

Here is one of Fugu under kite. The tear is hidden by the jib.

DSCF1799.JPG

Here is one of Ron Watt.

DSCF1802.JPG

Here is what the starts are looking like.

DSCF1814.JPG

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Here's one of Keith Council with a kite borrowed from Bram after tearing a gaping hole in his on the first day.

DSCF1818.JPG

Here is our current leader, only by tie breaker, covering me on the way to finish on the last race.

DSCF1832.JPG

One more after the first start.

DSCF1771.JPG

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Karl Schulmeister provided these images.

Chris Wickham on Keith Deller's new boat that just hit the water this week.

OnWaterClinic_DSC7274_01.jpg

This is Roger Wright on his boat.

OnWaterClinic_DSC7195_01.jpg

And finally one of Chris Wickham on Bram's boat with a nice view of the city for background.

OnWaterClinic_DSC7222_01.jpg

Oh and one more from Peggy Watt of Ron Radko on the Musto.

DSCF1807.JPG

Time to get ready for the day. Later all and keep the stick in the air.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Results after today.

Name___________1___ 2___ 3___ 4___ 5___ 6___ 7___ 8___ 9___ 10__ 11__ 12__ 13__ Total

Swift Solos

Bram Dally____ [3]_ 2___ 1___ 2___ 2___ 1___ 1___ [6]_ 1___ 1___ 2___ 1___ 1___ 15

Ron Watt______ 1___ 1___ 2___ 1___ 1___ 2___ 6___ 2___ 3___ 2___ [DNC] [DNC] DNC 30

Robert Harper [6]__ 2___ 3___ 3___ 3___ 3___ 3___ 1___ 2___ 4___ 3___ [OCS] 3__ 30

Mark White____ 2___ [DNC][DNC] 4__ 4___ DNC_ 5___ 5___ 4___ 3___ 1___ 4___ 4___ 47

Roger Wright__ 4___ 3___ 4___ [DNC][DNC]DNC 2___ 3___ 6___ DNC 4___ 3___ 2___ 56

Mike Jocelyn__ 5___ 4___ 5___ 5___ [DNC][DNC]4___ 4___ 7___ DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ 70

Chris Wickham [DNC] [DNC]DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ 2___ 3___ 5___ DNC_ DNC_ 2___ OCS_ 75

Keith Council [DNC] [DNC]DNC_ 6___ DNC_ DNC_ 8___ 8___ 8___ DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ DNC_ 93

MPS

Ron Radko____ 1____ 1___ 1___ 1___ 1___ [DNC][2]_ 1___ 1___ 1___ 1___ 1___ 1___ 11

John Tulip___ [2]__ 2___ 2___ 2___ 2___ 1___ 1___ 2___ 2___ [DNC]2___ 2___ 2___ 20

Sorry about the formatting this is so dependent of the font kerning. A number of the DNC's in the bottom of the fleet are due to exaustion and poor sailing conditions. Today was another light and very shifty day. One minute you could be way out in the lead and the next you are DFL. I finished first on my OCS but did not hear the RC call me over early. There was a nasty current that would push everyone over the line even if you were luffing. Rod Watt lost a primary today and that is the reason for his DNC's.

I'll take my memory stick around and see if I can get pics again and post them in the AM. Today is an on your own for dinner night so we have kind of scattered all over Vancouver.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I was able to nick some more tonight. These are compliments of Roxanne White.

Here is one of a Musto and a Swift duking it out for the win.

IMG_6301.JPG

This is one of Mark White showing the fat guys how to trap.

IMG_6374.JPG

Here is John the other Musto racing.

IMG_6357.JPG

One last one of Fugu under kite. The winds were a bit light and soaking deep seemed to pay against the current.

IMG_6350.JPG