2007 Swift Solo North Americans and MPS Invitational

MustoSkiffUSA

Thank you Fugu for taking the time to post pics...

Wow, what a great event! Many thanks to the Swift folks for organising, and Jericho for hosting! It's unfortunate, that we lost a couple of the NorthWest area Mustos to Huntington, and a few other areas, but next time we'll keep it coordinated. It was very cool to see fleets of both boats building to respectable levels. We now need to coordinate a few of the NorthWest events, and we should be able to get 4-5 Mustos and 4-5 Swifts racing at the same time.

Just managed to get home last night, and I'm totally wiped. The sailing was awesome though, with yesterdays morning sail helping coach Steve being my best of the week. Again, what a great bunch of gus, definitely a blast.

I think once again we've proven that it's how you are sailing that matters the most, with both type of boat being able to mix it up fairly evenly. Looks like the next (somewhat still to be) planned outing will be some of us in the gorge in mid August. Looking forward to the blast. (I managed to top out speed wise for the week at 14.6 knots yesterday, as compared to 19 something at Garda, so I want some more breeze!)

R

bdal

Wow, what a great event! Many thanks to the Swift folks for organising, and Jericho for hosting! It's unfortunate, that we lost a couple of the NorthWest area Mustos to Huntington, and a few other areas, but next time we'll keep it coordinated. It was very cool to see fleets of both boats building to respectable levels. We now need to coordinate a few of the NorthWest events, and we should be able to get 4-5 Mustos and 4-5 Swifts racing at the same time.
Just managed to get home last night, and I'm totally wiped. The sailing was awesome though, with yesterdays morning sail helping coach Steve being my best of the week. Again, what a great bunch of gus, definitely a blast.

I think once again we've proven that it's how you are sailing that matters the most, with both type of boat being able to mix it up fairly evenly. Looks like the next (somewhat still to be) planned outing will be some of us in the gorge in mid August. Looking forward to the blast. (I managed to top out speed wise for the week at 14.6 knots yesterday, as compared to 19 something at Garda, so I want some more breeze!)

R
Ron,

Was that fun or what? The Jericho Sailing Center is 1st class in both the facility and the people who run it. The RC did a great job under some pretty difficult conditions. Have you ever seen a junior program like that? Give the Canooks 10 years and they'll be kicking ass.

Sure want to thank you guys for coming and for helping out. I hope we can convince the rest of the sailing community that these two classes can and will co-exist very nicely. Those who think single-handed skiff sailing is a zero sum game are simply wrong. I beleive that each of our classes will grow faster as a result of the other--not at the expense of the other. The pool of potential single handed sailors drifting around looking for a home is huge and by continueing to work together, we should be able to make them "see the light". I've been impressed by the class and mutual respect shown by the members of the Musto fleet that I've had the pleasure to spend time with. Thanks again.

Bram

bistros

Super Anarchist
Results after today.
Name___________1___ 2___ 3___ 4___ 5___ 6___ 7___ 8___ 9___ 10__ 11__ 12__ 13__ Total

Swift Solos
Don't know if SA allows it but the <pre></pre> tags generally will let columnar text display as intended.

DaveK

Super Anarchist
This was another great thread that I somehow missed. Also.. Thanks for all of the photos. It was nice to compare the downwind shots between boats. The Swift has a huge kite compared to the Musto. Not sure if that matters speed wise or what angles each boat sails. I did like how Fugu tucked his leg in and over the rail when getting ready to go out. That might be something I could use. Those boats looked nice…. Really nice!

Sounds like y’all had a great time!

DaveK

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Don't know if SA allows it but the <pre></pre> tags generally will let columnar text display as intended.
I knew that. I'm just too tired to keep poking around until I find something that works. I'll post the rest of the results and some more pics later. I just got home after driving 20 hours. Totally fried and puffed up like a proper fugu.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I'd like to add my hats off to the Musto guys. As always, Ron and his guys were great. John, Ron, Steve, and I shared several cold ones after the racing and we had a great time on the water too. Ron has made a huge improvement after having gone to Garda this summer. Steve was looking better than ever Saturday. Keep up the good work Steve and get that boat out on the bay when you get back home.

I'd like to pile on the praise for the Jericho crew. From the top on down, everyone did their best to make us feel at home, and we made it our home complete with a mess on the lawn. One of the things that impressed me was the disabled sailing program in the Martin 16's. They had ramps for those who were capable and even had some races on of the nights. They also have a hoist to lift people with severe handicaps in the boats. The boats were in and out of the water all day long every day. The look on the faces of the participants was impressive.

I won't be able to make the gorge regatta but I think we, all single handed skiff/skwiff sailors, should support Jericho next year with the Jericho Classic.

Kudos to Ron Watt and Mike Jocelyn for all the prep work they did for the regatta. This was one that others will have to live up to.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Final results:

Place Sail Skipper 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Total

1 USA013 "Dally Bram" 3 2 1 2 2 1 1 6* 1 1 2 1 1 9*DNC 9*DNC 18

2 USA050 "Harper Robert" 6* 3 3 3 3 3 3 1 2 4* 3 9*OCS 3 1 3 31

3 USA002 "Watt Ron" 1 1 2 1 1 2 6 2 3 2 9*DNC 9*DNC 9*DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 39

4 USA033 "White Mark" 2 9*DNC 9*DNC 4 4 9*DNC 7 5 4 3 1 4 4 3 2 43

5 CAN "Write Roger" 4 4 4 9*DNC 9*DNC 9*DNC 5 7 6 9 DNC 4 3 2 2 1 51

6 CAN001 "Jocelyn Mike" 5 5 5 5 9*DNC 9*DNC 4 4 7 9*DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 4 4 70

7 USA "Wickham Chris" 9*DNC 9*DNC 9*DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 2 3 5 9 DNC 9 DNC 2 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 84

8 USA056 "Councell Keith" 9*DNC 9*DNC 9*DNC 6 9 DNC 9 DNC 8 8 8 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 9 DNC 5 98

Sorry about the formatting. The <pre> or [pre] tags do not work here.

A lot of the DNC's were due to either boats not being ready, tired from too much swimming or other break downs.

Some of the observations were that boat setup was key and on most of the days, being in the right place at the right wind shift was also key. I always went out looking for more presure, sometimes it payed and others it didn't. I was my own worst enemy. I'd get in or close to the lead and then blow the set or take down and loose all I'd gained on the previous leg. In the changing winds, the top boats were adjusting the jib relativity control a fair amount and I played the vang more than normal.

Other key points:

Don't capsize as this is very slow and with these boats going so fast, you loose a lot of places in a big hurry. You also get very tired very quickly.

Get your head out of the boat so you can see where the new wind is and pay attention to the tides.

Getting a good start is key. In the top half of the fleet, the start was a big part of success.

These boats are a lot of fun to sail and race.

Having the Mustos along with the Swifts is only an enhancement to the enjoyment factor. They are great boats sailed by great guys. There should be more of both boats on the water and we look forward to a long and successful time sailing with our brothers in single handed sailing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MustoSkiffUSA

This was another great thread that I somehow missed. Also.. Thanks for all of the photos. It was nice to compare the downwind shots between boats. The Swift has a huge kite compared to the Musto. Not sure if that matters speed wise or what angles each boat sails. I did like how Fugu tucked his leg in and over the rail when getting ready to go out. That might be something I could use. Those boats looked nice…. Really nice!
Sounds like y’all had a great time!

DaveK
The Musto is a more easily driven hull than the Swift, so it doesn't need as much sail area. At any rate, speed came down mostly to who was sailing the boat, and races were won more by going the right way. I don't feel that I had any races where I was at a speed disadvantage, and several where I think I had a speed edge, particularly upwind. The boats are actually quite close in speed and angle both upwind and down in most conditions.

JT Sparman

The Musto is a more easily driven hull than the Swift, so it doesn't need as much sail area. At any rate, speed came down mostly to who was sailing the boat, and races were won more by going the right way. I don't feel that I had any races where I was at a speed disadvantage, and several where I think I had a speed edge, particularly upwind. The boats are actually quite close in speed and angle both upwind and down in most conditions.
Put the Musto's in the above scoring - I thought you guys raced together.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Put the Musto's in the above scoring - I thought you guys raced together.
We all started together but the scores were kept separate. MustoSkiffUSA won all but two races. One he took second and in another I think he got tired of the light and shifty winds. He was usually in the leaders except for when the wind shifts caught him on the wrong side of the course. The other Musto was toward the back end of the fleet. The speed around the cans for both boats is highly dependent on the skill of the software. Both boats are fast, they just get there through different methods. The Swift uses grunt and the Musto reduces drag. We race together for the comeradery and mutual respect not to prove who is faster. You probably think this is a lame answer but I did not get the results with all boats finished together. The RC gave all of us the results separated every day.

For me, I don't care if the Musto or Swift is faster around the track. I love my Swift because I built her and can sail her as well. I imagine if I had a Musto, I'd love that boat too. The MPS is a great boat for those that want to buy a ready to sail single handed speedster. MustoSkiffUSA is a great guy to buy from because he takes a personal interest in everyone who buys one and spends a lot of his time training instead of racing at these regattas. For those of us that love wood boats for the look and the ability to build your own, the Swift is a fantastic boat because you get much more than just a home made boat. These things fly.

If someone has the mixed results, they can post them. As for me, I never saw them.

MustoSkiffUSA

We all started together but the scores were kept separate. MustoSkiffUSA won all but two races. One he took second and in another I think he got tired of the light and shifty winds. He was usually in the leaders except for when the wind shifts caught him on the wrong side of the course. The other Musto was toward the back end of the fleet. The speed around the cans for both boats is highly dependent on the skill of the software. Both boats are fast, they just get there through different methods. The Swift uses grunt and the Musto reduces drag. We race together for the comeradery and mutual respect not to prove who is faster. You probably think this is a lame answer but I did not get the results with all boats finished together. The RC gave all of us the results separated every day.
For me, I don't care if the Musto or Swift is faster around the track. I love my Swift because I built her and can sail her as well. I imagine if I had a Musto, I'd love that boat too. The MPS is a great boat for those that want to buy a ready to sail single handed speedster. MustoSkiffUSA is a great guy to buy from because he takes a personal interest in everyone who buys one and spends a lot of his time training instead of racing at these regattas. For those of us that love wood boats for the look and the ability to build your own, the Swift is a fantastic boat because you get much more than just a home made boat. These things fly.

If someone has the mixed results, they can post them. As for me, I never saw them.
We talked about putting together mixed results, and the race committee did not score them for the first day, so we were unfortunately too late in putting it together. Also, because it was the Swift North Americans, we decided that we didn't want people in the Swift fleet racing people in the Musto fleet for overall position as it may affect the way they race, and finish in their own fleet. A perfect example of this was the start of the last race. John, one of the other Mustos racing (there were actually three, but Steve was having problems in the light and shifty stuff) decided to go right off the line, and the whole Swift fleet went left. I figured left was going to be better, and if I was racing the fleet, I would have gone with the Swifts. However, given the way things were, I covered John and went right. The result was that we ended up at the top mark way behind the Swifts due to way less pressure. If we wre mixed fleet racing people would have taken different strategies.

At any rate, I was first over the line for both fleets in about half the races, and usually was up in the top 3 for the combined. The top couple of boats were usually fairly close at the finish as well. So, for overall a Swift won about half the time, and a Musto about half the time.

Oh, and the DNC was caused by my split ring / and pin falling out for my vang lever. I was about to punch the vang arm through the sail, so needed to head in and put a new pin in. That piece is taped now!

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
We talked about putting together mixed results, and the race committee did not score them for the first day, so we were unfortunately too late in putting it together. Also, because it was the Swift North Americans, we decided that we didn't want people in the Swift fleet racing people in the Musto fleet for overall position as it may affect the way they race, and finish in their own fleet. A perfect example of this was the start of the last race. John, one of the other Mustos racing (there were actually three, but Steve was having problems in the light and shifty stuff) decided to go right off the line, and the whole Swift fleet went left. I figured left was going to be better, and if I was racing the fleet, I would have gone with the Swifts. However, given the way things were, I covered John and went right. The result was that we ended up at the top mark way behind the Swifts due to way less pressure. If we wre mixed fleet racing people would have taken different strategies.
At any rate, I was first over the line for both fleets in about half the races, and usually was up in the top 3 for the combined. The top couple of boats were usually fairly close at the finish as well. So, for overall a Swift won about half the time, and a Musto about half the time.

Oh, and the DNC was caused by my split ring / and pin falling out for my vang lever. I was about to punch the vang arm through the sail, so needed to head in and put a new pin in. That piece is taped now!
Thanks for the correction. I forgot about the vang problem. It should also be noted that you spent more of your time helping the other Musto's to sail better. I noticed you spent a lot of time coaching on and off the water and credit should be paid to you for doing so. As you have pointed out. This was the Swift Solo NA's and we have and will continue to invite the Mustos to sail with us because we love to have you with us. The focus of this regatta was not to determine a best boat. There will be other regattas in the future that will probably be better for that.

bdal

ben_moon_and_swift_and_musto_2.jpg

Ron,

I want to point out that those who are looking for a single-handed skiff and need it soon should sign up with you for a Musto. There is a significant inability to purchase a Swift at this point--new or used. Generally the only way to own one is to build it yourself. There are a couple of commercial builders, however, they are booked up. With time, we hope to remedy this shortage--but those are the facts for now.

The Swift and the Musto race really well together and I agree that other than some possible small speed advantages for each boat in different wind and wave conditions, it will come down to who has their head out of the boat.

I hope to have some of the hundreds of photos that were taken in my posession soon. I'll post them or this and on my site.

As I clean up my gear and put things away, I'm already looking forward to getting back to Fort Desoto with you guys in the late winter or early spring. Until then, I'll see you on Thursday nights at Shilshole (I'm going to miss this week). We should have Chris and Warren out soon to join Ron and I in the Swifts.

I'm hoping to lay my hands on some of the hundreds of photos taken and will post some here and some on my site.

Bram

Somebody mentioned Fort Desoto, St. Pete, Florida in the late Winter or spring.....

If that is going to happen, let me know.

I was PRO for the one last year and do the 505 Midwinters at that venue. Would love to help again.

Dave Ellis

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Somebody mentioned Fort Desoto, St. Pete, Florida in the late Winter or spring.....If that is going to happen, let me know.

I was PRO for the one last year and do the 505 Midwinters at that venue. Would love to help again.

Dave Ellis
And a fine job you did for us. It wouldn't be the same without you there.

bdal

Somebody mentioned Fort Desoto, St. Pete, Florida in the late Winter or spring.....If that is going to happen, let me know.

Dave Ellis
Dave,

Can't tell you how much we appreciate the offer. We were hoping to plead with you to do it again after the great job last year. Thanks and we'll be in touch as soon as we get the dates organised.

Best regards,

Bram

junta

Fugu,

Great job in the NA's!!! You have to be commended for your great reporting on the event and the pics (always important).

J

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
It will be good to see you again and see your progress. My trailer hooks up in a week.
Fugu,

I hope you and Ron have rounded up launching and rigging help for the N/As. Don't want to find out that I have to deal with my Swift alone. The picture is just a reminder of the job I did last year when I ran the event.

Bram View attachment 47287
HP_DEN_KICK.jpg

29erXX...
I could go to jail for that. At least ours were legal. :D