2011 A cat Worlds

Catfan

The 2011 A cat World Championship is due to begin tomorrow with the first of the 9 races scheduled, but on the official website so far there is only the list of registered competitors (which does not include Glenn Ashby).

Instead I would like to have the possibility to see some pics of the old and newest (such as the Myfly,Vision, Nano (is it there?), Evo 2 etc) taken at the already full boat park, to read the the equipment list (boat, mast and sail associated to each competitor) and the weather forecasts for tomorrow and the days after tomorrow and so on.

It was able only to find a short article with a few photos of Alex Udin on Catsailingnews

Let's hope in a BIG improvement of the official website starting from today

The 2011 A cat World Championship is due to begin tomorrow with the first of the 9 races scheduled, but on the official website so far there is only the list of registered competitors (which does not include Glenn Ashby).

In.stead I would like to have the possibility to see some pics of the old and newest (such as the Myfly,Vision, Nano (is it there?), Evo 2 etc) taken at the already full boat park, to read the the equipment list (boat, mast and sail associated to each competitor) and the weather forecasts for tomorrow and the days after tomorrow and so on.

It was able only to find a short article with a few photos of Alex Udin on Catsailingnews

Let's hope in a BIG improvement of the official website starting from today
Look at acatsailing.blogspot.com for pictures and news from the worlds. Ill try to do some reporting as well. Till now we are all waiting for the racing to start. Weatherforecast is fine with 4-7 m/s all week and 15-20c (we are close to the polar circle;-)

The mayfly looks odd, so interesting to see how it performs.

And there is a long list of people that can win, Steve Brewin must be top bet, because he's been 2th the last 2 worlds.

Lars

The practice race has been sailed and we had the following order at the finish.

1. Ben Moon 2. Bob Baier. 3.Jack Benson. 4.Steve Brewin. 5. PJ Dwarshuis.

We did see on the course that the half of the fleet was still in the harbour so no real idea what happend, maybe a fleet split or something. It was hard to tell what really happend.

Hope to recieve more info this evening.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
The practice race has been sailed and we had the following order at the finish.

1. Ben Moon 2. Bob Baier. 3.Jack Benson. 4.Steve Brewin. 5. PJ Dwarshuis.

We did see on the course that the half of the fleet was still in the harbour so no real idea what happend, maybe a fleet split or something. It was hard to tell what really happend.

Hope to recieve more info this evening.
Go Ben Moon.Nice.

Lars75k Thanks for the updates and info it's greatly appreciated.

CoolBreeze

melbourne
Unfortunately you have the results wrong. Not everyone had tractrac's on. The official results are Scott Anderson 1st, Landy 2nd, Ben Moon 3rd, Bob Baier 4th, Chris Fields 5th, Stevie Brewin 7th, Pieter Jan 8th, Steve Brayshaw 9th and Thomas Pasch 10th. Can't remember who was 6th sorry.

Todays practice race was one track race, get a good start and go left, anybody who tried something else lost. All kinds of boats and sails among the first (and a lot in the harbour and Bfds), so nothing to conclude from this. I was to far in the back (and to the right) to see what was going in the front, but it looked like fun..

The real race starts tomorrow and it will be another level + the wind changes to the westerly, which is more unpredictable, so it will get more challenging. weatherforecast predicts good wind, so it will be another fine day.

Unfortunately you have the results wrong. Not everyone had tractrac's on. The official results are Scott Anderson 1st, Landy 2nd, Ben Moon 3rd, Bob Baier 4th, Chris Fields 5th, Stevie Brewin 7th, Pieter Jan 8th, Steve Brayshaw 9th and Thomas Pasch 10th. Can't remember who was 6th sorry.
You are right i just talked to Piet and he told me that the tracking devices were not working properly. The earlier given finish list was wrong. Can happen

Fine races today. First race was abandonned because big wind change. After that 2 races in 4-7 m/s. The leaders are fast and as usual its downwind that decides the races. The frontrunners are trapezing downwind with huge success, both the old and new designs of mast works for this - thomas paasch has a old design fiberfoam with a ashby 14, the rest has the softer masts (maybe). Scott Anderson is very fast and smart, so he's in the lead.

Still all kinds of boats, masts and sails in the front, so no new revolution in the designs. The softer masts does look efficient, though. Mayfly was struggling today, they where going more sideways than forward in below 5 m/s.

More of the same weather tomorrow, so another fine say on the bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBR1

Thanks for the update. I remember everybody saying how well Anderson sailed at the Australian nationals in a non curved board boat so now he ahs a boat that is really competitive, it's good to see him up there. No suprise in seeing Brewin in the mix. But where are the Americans. After all that was posted by our US friends, they seem to be noticably off the pace. Evne their top guy is actually an Aussie! As for the boats, I think all of the top 10 have curved boards. Jack Benson has made a big leap forward getting a DNA, compared with the Australian nationals when he sailed his Flyer. Yes, he was competitive in very light weather in the Flyer, but not when there was breeze around. Unless I got it wrong, Landy doesn't quite have the pace offwind that he seemed to have with his DNA. Overall, it would seem to me that the DNA and Nikita are the cream of the fleet. Maybe Nils was right when he said that DNA just ripped off his design!

I really wanted the Mayfly to work, but from what I have heard, there is more wrong than it just needing setting up properly. Look at the results Chris Cairns is getting. You would expect Chris to be in the top 20 and he was clearly a lot quicker in his old Tool than in the Mayfly. That is a serious case of the slows.

Is the new Firefox Nano there? Any other new boats?

GBR1

OK, So who is sailing what and what are the rigs, platforms, boards, etc.
From my research

1st Anderson Nikita Fibrefoam Ashby

2nd Brewin DNA Saaberg Brewin

2rd Benson DNA Saaberg Brewin

4th Calavia DNA Fibrefoam ? Ashby

5th Moon Nikita Saaberg ? Glazer

6th Collett Scheurer Fibrefoam Ashby

7th Landy Scheurer Saaberg Landy

8th Field Vision Saaberg Brewin

9th Drummond DNA DNA Brewin

10th Keller own design ? Brewin?

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
But where are the Americans. After all that was posted by our US friends, they seem to be noticably off the pace. Evne their top guy is actually an Aussie! As for the boats, I think all of the top 10 have curved boards.
Where is the "all that was posted by our US friends" thread? I seemed to have missed that one. Also where are all the GBR competitors in the top 20? I count 1 as opposed to the 3 out of 4 of the US sailors that are in there( with the 4th having all DNCs).You sound a little bitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBR1

But where are the Americans. After all that was posted by our US friends, they seem to be noticably off the pace. Evne their top guy is actually an Aussie! As for the boats, I think all of the top 10 have curved boards.
Where is the "all that was posted by our US friends" thread? I seemed to have missed that one. Also where are all the GBR competitors in the top 20? I count 1 as opposed to the 3 out of 4 of the US sailors that are in there( with the 4th having all DNCs).You sound a little bitter.
Yet another Spetic with no sense of humour, who doesn't understand a little bit of sledging! :D In addition, taking the results from just 1 days is really a bit meaningless.
Although it was all said as a bit of fun, there have been a number of threads. The last one was in June, where, for instance, the following was posted

90% odds USA's Guck and Struble in top ten.

70% odds both are in top

five

50% odds one will win or at least be top three.

That's my

bet.

Bob Hodges

USACA

USA

There were a fair number of other comments, part fo the banter between various people. It is all meant to be a bit of fun

What really is interesting is the performance of Ben Moon compared with what he has achieved back home. He was always there, or there abouts, buthe was never seen as being a threat to Struble or Guck. Moon is sailing a Nikita. Having struggled to get his ASG3 competitive with the top US designs, he now seems to be the cream of the crop. Of course, this is just day 1, but if this pattern is repeated it shows what can happen in development classes when people come from different continents and develop their own stuff. You might make a breakthrough, as Beiker did in the Int14's or you might go down a bit of a blind alley.

It's fun trying to draw conclusions from so little racing, knowing that the chances are that the results during the rest of the regatta could easily make all the above comments look stupid!!

There is only 1 GBR sailor and this is Chris Field. and he is in the top 10 with a 4 and 11 and a 5 in the practice race, so not to bad at all.

I did understand that on monday the weather was quite tricky with shifts and a storm cloud with a lot of wind what gave trouble in the first race, with a broken mast of Mischa and some rudderboards broken and all to gether and a big shift was the reason to stop this race.

The rest of the day was ok what was told by me. I hope to recieve tonight an update of todays racing but the regular people on top of the fleet are again at the top of the fleet.

Catfan

All members of the US team were expected to sail an US design, the Evo 2 designed by Peter Cogan, with Hall mast and Glaser mainsail.

I hope that someone is able to check their equipment and, in the case they are sailing with different boats, provide us with an explanation for the unforeseen change.

I read that during the first (cancelled) race there was some carnage due to sudden, violent gusts. Perhaps this is the reason why a few of the best Acatters are not in the top of the rankings at the end of the first days. It would be interesteing to know the names of the most "damaged".