2013 Rolex Yachtsman/Yachtswoman of the Year

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Congrats to Brian Porter! Great accomplishment, not sure how Allan Terhune did not win this award. Way to go Jody as well!!!
+1. Don't really understand how a guy with Allan's record for the 2013 calendar year loses out on this award. 1 worlds, 1 NA's, 1 Nationals, oh and a 2nd in another NA's all in pretty reputable classes.
Maybe because he's just a paid driver by a saiilmaker and people are tired of that act? Winning America's Cup helmsman wasn't even on the short list.

theworm13

The cup driver was not listed because he won only one regatta where as everyone else had a full season.

Also Allan's achievements have nothing to do with being a pro. He sails primarially with his wife and won the worlds with a full am crew of family oriented sailors. He does not simply buy a regatta nor is he another ahole pro who does not give a crap about others. Allan is often the last to the course because he spent all morning fixing other peoples boats and offering them free help etc. frankly he would do better if he was not as nice as he is.

Saying that I don't see how there was any conspiracy. Just a group of voters who may or may not recognize what constitutes a good performance. Everyone on the list are winners to be honest

Congrats to Brian Porter! Great accomplishment, not sure how Allan Terhune did not win this award. Way to go Jody as well!!!
+1. Don't really understand how a guy with Allan's record for the 2013 calendar year loses out on this award. 1 worlds, 1 NA's, 1 Nationals, oh and a 2nd in another NA's all in pretty reputable classes.
Maybe because he's just a paid driver by a saiilmaker and people are tired of that act? Winning America's Cup helmsman wasn't even on the short list.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
The cup driver was not listed because he won only one regatta where as everyone else had a full season.

Also Allan's achievements have nothing to do with being a pro. He sails primarially with his wife and won the worlds with a full am crew of family oriented sailors. He does not simply buy a regatta nor is he another ahole pro who does not give a crap about others. Allan is often the last to the course because he spent all morning fixing other peoples boats and offering them free help etc. frankly he would do better if he was not as nice as he is.

Saying that I don't see how there was any conspiracy. Just a group of voters who may or may not recognize what constitutes a good performance. Everyone on the list are winners to be honest

Terhune is paid to go to and win regattas. He's by no means universally loved. So what if he helps people it's his job. The AC is the most technically complex event. But it's a pro thing too. Maybe the award is going back it's roots to true yachts people and not people who are paid to sail.

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI

Terhune is paid to go to and win regattas. He's by no means universally loved. So what if he helps people it's his job. The AC is the most technically complex event. But it's a pro thing too. Maybe the award is going back it's roots to true yachts people and not people who are paid to sail.
I may be wrong, but US Sailing's Rolex Yachtsman/Yachtswoman of the Year is given to members of US Sailing. Not sure if Jimmy Spithill is a member of US Sailing, so he may not have even been considered.

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI

+1 on your statements. My children's pediatrician was one of his crew on the J22, and while she is a very accomplished sailor she is by no means a hired gun brought in to help win regattas for North.

I was not claiming a conspiracy by any means, just stating that I personally felt his accomplishments outshined those of the other nominees.

chickiesailor

I highly doubt north pays him for winning the regattas. They pay him to sell sails, yes. I have never heard a bad story about Allan or anyone having any ill will towards him. Which says a lot considering most "pros" are a bunch of grade A d-bags. He does help people out, not because he has to, but because he loves the sport and wants people to do well. He is class, which you can not say about most people in the sailing industry.

Congrats to Brian on his win. I do, however, agree with clean. He won an event with a dwindling class....but what else? I'm not saying he didn't work as hard as others, I just think others on the list had better resumes for the 2013 year.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Yet as I understand it, the award (both the US one and the ISAF one) is not for past performance.

I love Brian's winning this. I just don't think it is nearly as much of an achievement empirically as some of the others out there. Same with Jody. Sorry but crewing your way to a Worlds is not the same as driving your way to a Worlds.

And winning a M24 Worlds against a severely depleted M24 fleet does not equal winning a Moth Worlds against most of the world's top pro racers.

That being said, I do like that Portner and Starck are usually part of family-driven programs - though Porter was not, for worlds; he was surrounded by many of the world's top M24 racers on his boat...
Why do you seem to think the criteria is based on only one regatta?
It's based on a qualification period, and having at least one 'major' win is kind of the price of admission. I have all the resumes from the year; I think they liked that Brian won in a fleet that includes pro drivers, but it ignores the fact that a) the guy surrounded himself with the best that money can buy to win and B) that winning a M24 worlds is a lot different than it used to be. Still quite an achievement, and IMO still a far bigger achievement than winning an owner/driver Worlds, but still. His win in KW was against quite a small fleet as well.

Anyway, the guy is awesome and I am glad to see him recognized. Is he the US's top sailor of the year? Probably not, but with such an odd and opaque award process with a 'secret voting panel' what else would anyone expect?

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY

And just what in the hell is the difference? Moreover, why is it binary? Why can't one be a so-called yachts person (whatever the hell that is) and also be so lucky as to get paid to participate in the sport?

mehk

Sorry but crewing your way to a Worlds is not the same as driving your way to a Worlds.
How so?
I can point you to a bunch of World champion drivers who aren't as good as their crews(s)
I couldn't agree more! I have sailed with a few of the people on the short list and while they are very talented, they aren't doing it by themselves!