2016 Mount Gay Round Barbados Race

paularsen1

Simply stunning, shorts and T-shirt close quarters blasting on fantastic boats That was one of the best races I've ever been lucky enough to be a part of. Beating Phaedo was never going to be easy. As all good races should be, it was on right from the pre-start. The trade winds were in and Barbados made for a fantastic course to let these great boats rip. It had been our base for six weeks since the last Trans-Atlantic dust up and it was made absolutely clear to us that we HAD to win this one. Both boats kissed the reef at the Northern tip of the island within meters of each other... both trying to get the inside line. We got the edge there but Phaedo threw it all at us trying to get leverage at every opportunity. They came at us hard on that last corner and we knew nothing was in the bag until we crossed that line. First prize, the skippers weight in Mt Gay XO rum. Ned weighs in at 87kg. Took a team to get it and it'll take a team to get through it. Now for the 600:)

pics credit Helena Darvelid/Team Concise

11_1280x714.jpg

Gybing out of Carlisle bay minutes after the start.

1_1280x764.jpg

Coming out of the lee of Barbados after both boats touched the bottom trying to get the inside line out into the Atlantic proper. Ms Barbados/Team Concise used the high mode well here.

2_1280x496.jpg

The last full leg to the corner to the line. Glorious conditions for winding these wonderful boats up. Phaedo closed right up on the last corner... as the video shows beautifully.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Looks like a good race, imagine the jib's main role is to block the kite a bit or is it still able to modify low flow on main?

paularsen1

Paul, that first pic of the gybing duel is incredible!

Bailey
It was taken off my head-cam Gopro. Phaedo didn't have her foil down and as we had just gybed onto starboard she had to dial up and get behind us so the nose went down. I got a great view. There's a few more pics and a vid to go with the whole race.

10_1280x708.jpg

11_1280x714.jpg

12_1280x714.jpg