2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

trimfast

Anarchist
Gotta play by the rules. Saw a friend sail a overnight race and kick their class right in the feel good spot and because they didn't check in at the start, game over. While its little, and it sucks. Cross your ts and dot your i's. Don't bitch when you don't.

Coolerking

LBC
Unless the tracker company can demonstrate 100% failsafe operation, then I cant see how they can toss them.

We have issues like this in Baja while racing off road,  IMHO trackers are shit...everywhere, all the time.

us7070

Super Anarchist
Chickenshit to turn off AIS, Chickenshit to protest over it.

i doubt it was turned off on purpose by anyone who read and understood the SI's, and wanted to cheat - you would know 100% that you would get caught

the race committee lodged the protest - they really had no choice

"The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA), the organising authority for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, has been advised that Race Committee has advised that they have lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI."

Last edited by a moderator:

NaptimeAgain

Super Anarchist
Annapolis MD
One can break a rule without intentionally "cheating" so you can still get a DQ unless a rule specifically requires demonstrated intent to subvert the rule. 

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
One can break a rule without intentionally "cheating" so you can still get a DQ unless a rule specifically requires demonstrated intent to subvert the rule. 
Yes indeed.  In this case the word "shall" in the SIs is pretty clear.

us7070

Super Anarchist
of course...

but in this case, the jury has some latitude in assessing a penalty.., and that penalty can be informed by a judgement as to intent.

it is also fair for the jury to consider the impact on other boats - WOXI could track them on AIS, but they couldn't track WOXI on AIS - a clear disadvantage to the competitors

11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

• Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438679/rshyr-si-final.pdf

Does anyone have a link to the interview with mark richards on the dock? I think he mentions having the tracker on but not AIS, and said something about being able to see the other boats the entire race so it shouldn't have mattered?

us7070

Super Anarchist
also..,

while he _may_ have been talking about the tracker.., it's hard to believe he could be that clueless.., because he also said that "it" (whatever he was talking about) was not required...

and the tracker requirement is in both the SI's and the NOR.., and the penalty for no tracker is explicitly stated as DSQ

if i was skippering wild oats.., i would know about that...

so both AIS and tracker are required

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
i doubt it was turned off on purpose by anyone who read and understood the SI's, and wanted to cheat - you would know 100% that you would get caught

the race committee lodged the protest - they really had no choice

"The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA), the organising authority for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, has been advised that Race Committee has advised that they have lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI."
I'm totally against RC protests, unless they observed an alleged infraction.  They got a report from some competitor who didn't have the cajones to file the protest themselves.  Why didn't the competitor file the protest?  It was their job to.