2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

TCWippy

Maybe u could explain there are rules about protests too. All rules should be adhered to. 
I’m well aware of, and respect the rules governing our, to me, beloved sport.  WOIx, imho, violated those rules as evidenced by the lack of transmission data from their boat.  If ours was a true Corinthian sport, they should have withdrawn based on the fact they did not follow the rules, involuntary, or otherwise.  Who of us hasn’t finished a race only to find we were declared OCS and have sworn that we weren’t over and that we complied with the rules?  I’ve never won that argument, but i’m not worth $1.5B either. Pathetic. 

savoir

Super Anarchist
it would be quite legitimate for one of the smaller boats to protest WO. They have up to 6 hours from their own finish.

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist
Wellington
I’m well aware of, and respect the rules governing our, to me, beloved sport.  WOIx, imho, violated those rules as evidenced by the lack of transmission data from their boat.  If ours was a true Corinthian sport, they should have withdrawn based on the fact they did not follow the rules, involuntary, or otherwise.  Who of us hasn’t finished a race only to find we were declared OCS and have sworn that we weren’t over and that we complied with the rules?  I’ve never won that argument, but i’m not worth $1.5B either. Pathetic. 
So much conjecture and anecdotal emotional ramblings here. You even pulled the rich card which is insulting to Richard Greens PC common sense prevailed.

You can't say "but the rules " but not respect them when it comes to the protest part. You  can't cherry pick 

You really need some perspective here and not lead with emotional conspiracy rich guy bollox

The best sailed fastest boat won on the water where it counts

Last edited by a moderator:

trt131

Super Anarchist
So much conjecture and anecdotal emotional ramblings here you even pulled the rich card which is insulting to Richard Greens PC common sense prevailed

You can't say "but the rules " but not respect them when it comes to the protest part. You  can't cherry pick 

You really need some perspective give and not lead with emotional conspiracy rich guy bollox
Russell Green not Richard, I know you Wellingtonians struggle with the JAFAs

Kermit

You were asking how to explain it to non sailors. You’re all over the shop with your opinions. The protest was dismissed.

Just A Skosh

Super Anarchist
New Hampshire
EddyAllTime said:
Look at the sources - WOXI was only ever picked up by the terrestrial stations. Could genuinely be an equipment problem if not picking up and satellites...
If it can be picked up by terrestrial stations it can be picked up by satellites. If it was properly transmitting in Sydney the sats would've seen it. 

Francis Vaughan

Super Anarchist
You were asking how to explain it to non sailors. You’re all over the shop with your opinions. The protest was dismissed.
Very nitpicky, but it was not dismissed. That would suggest exoneration. 

The protest was ruled invalid. It was ruled invalid by the application of the rules about protesting.

So the protest never progressed to a finding of facts. The findings that did occur were clear: the RC were right to check things, but they were not in a position to protest, that was the job of BJ. That comes back to the self policing aspect. This is a sport, not real life, there are no policemen and no department of public prosecutions. As a competitor, you are duty bound to perform your role in the enforcement of the rules. You don't get to have it done by proxy if you will be advantaged by the result. And the rules are totally clear on this. 

One might argue (and I will) that the RC were asleep at the wheel, and should have been independently checking on the AIS transmissions across the fleet. The rule was there. But they didn't. BJ noticed, but instead of taking up their duty, they went for trial by media. That wasn't a good look, and they should not have been advantaged by doing so, and they were not.

dachopper

Super Anarchist
These rules clearly are from the dark ages..... what happens when a competitor cheats in the Olympic sailing classes and no sailor lodges a protest. Dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life, what is the point of even having a race committee if they have no purpose once the start gun fires.

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
Very nitpicky, but it was not dismissed. That would suggest exoneration. 

The protest was ruled invalid. It was ruled invalid by the application of the rules about protesting.

So the protest never progressed to a finding of facts. The findings that did occur were clear: the RC were right to check things, but they were not in a position to protest, that was the job of BJ. That comes back to the self policing aspect. This is a sport, not real life, there are no policemen and no department of public prosecutions. As a competitor, you are duty bound to perform your role in the enforcement of the rules. You don't get to have it done by proxy if you will be advantaged by the result. And the rules are totally clear on this. 

One might argue (and I will) that the RC were asleep at the wheel, and should have been independently checking on the AIS transmissions across the fleet. The rule was there. But they didn't. BJ noticed, but instead of taking up their duty, they went for trial by media. That wasn't a good look, and they should not have been advantaged by doing so, and they were not.
Cant the race committee DSQ someone for a breach of the SIs? I wonder if the jury were more saying to the race committee, get your own house in order and don't make us do your dirty work.

It's pretty embarrassing for the race committee / yacht club that they have been shown to be this incompetent regarding their knowledge of the rules?

Last edited by a moderator: