2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist
Wellington
These rules clearly are from the dark ages..... what happens when a competitor cheats in the Olympic sailing classes and no sailor lodges a protest. Dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life, what is the point of even having a race committee if they have no purpose once the start gun fires.
RC can protest on its own but not after another competitor tells them about an incident but won't protest themselves very clear 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
frant said:
I think the IJ has handed MR a poisoned chalice. You can take the win but your reputation will be forever tarnished. For many great sportsmen their reputation is far more valuable than an event victory.
I wonder if his contract includes performance incentives?  The whole episode stinks and brings discredit to both Oats and the race itself, which I (never done it) believe is the the premiere ocean race in the world trailed closely by the Fastnet.  

Kung Faux

I've never understood the aversion to taking a competitor 'to the room' and just 'leaving it out on the water', what utter bullshit, the rules are an important part of our sport and often the room provides a great learning experience...so my question is, if BJ had had protested, what specific evidence would a PC require/accept from them to judge that a breach of the Si's did occur?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
thetruth said:
Maybe that there are very few people who like what they do? I guess it is like an election where you gauge the feedback of the masses, it seems you're the only supporter and would not be surprised if you sail/work on the boat or fucking someone who does? Sadly the sport is run like the antiquated Westminster law system, not about fact or reality but a pyrimad of legislation. The reality is that AIS was switched off and that can never be denied (except if you are Ricko). At $10,000 a day I would have thought that Butterworth would have been all over it....... 
The Wild Oats team and boat deserve all the accolades they have achieved. The boat is special, and the team know how to get the best out of her. She has stood the test of time, she has longevity. New designs have come and gone and she has beat them all. From Investec Loyal, to Ragamuffin, to Perpetual Loyal to Comanche. She is the greatest Supermaxi of her time. You might not like Mark Richards but there is no denying he is the most successful skipper in the history of the race.

If you hate Wild Oats, you should hate Infotrack just as much. You were all talking rules like they were the best thing since sliced bread before the hearing, and now you don't agree and think they are a disgrace. If you want rules to be followed, you should be praising the jury for following them, not just cherry picking the ones you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

tp#12

On the water
The finding was that Blackjack put it in their report to the RC. That's how they knew about it. Also, a rather dubious looking Fact 3 ...

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2018
Hearing # 1
Decision of International Jury
Date of Hearing: 29 December 2018 at 1300
Date of Incident: 26 December 2018 — 28 December 2018
Protestor: Race Committee Represented by David Jordan
Protestee: Wild Oats Xl Represented by Glenn Bourke and Stephen Quigley
Witness(es): Nil.
Translator(s): Not Applicable.
Validity: Invalid
Facts Found: Facts on Validity
1. Black Jack and Wild Oats Xl both competed in the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2018 (the Race).
2. Shortly after finishing, the owner of Black Jack submitted a report to the Race Committee alleging that Wild Oats Xl's AIS "had not transmitted throughout" the Race.
3. Prior to the report, the Race Committee had "no knowledge of an issue" with Wild Oats Xl's AIS.
4. As a result of receiving the report, the Race Committee conducted an investigation into AIS tracking records in respect of Wild Oats Xl. The Race Committee obtained evidence from its own investigation that Wild Oats Xl may have breached Sl 11.4 and therefore submitted the protest.
Diagram: Not Applicable.
Conclusions: Conclusion on Validity
1. The Race Committee's investigation and subsequent protest arose from the report from the owner of Black Jack, a competitor in the Race and therefore a person with a conflict of interest within the meaning of the RRS.
2. The Race Committee's investigation was prudent, however in these circumstances, for the protest to be valid under the Racing Rules of Sailing, a competitor with information about a potential rule breach must lodge the protest.
Rules that Apply: RRS60.2(a), Definitions - Conflict of Interest
Decision: Protest Invalid

Protest Decision I — Race Committee v WOXI Page 1 of 2
Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2018
International Jury: Russell Green, Peter Scheuerl, Jamie Sutherland, David Tillett, Rosemary Collins
Chairman's Signature: 
Date and Time
Decision Advised: 29 December 2018 at 1400
Protest Decision 1 — Race Committee v WOXI Page 2 of 2

Philc

Super Anarchist
The Wild Oats team and boat deserve all the accolades they have achieved. The boat is special, and the team know how to get the best out of her. She has stood the test of time, she has longevity. New designs have come and gone and she has beat them all. From Investec Loyal, to Ragamuffin, to Perpetual Loyal to Comanche. She is the greatest Supermaxi of her time. You might not like Mark Richards but there is no denying he is the most successful skipper in the history of the race.

If you hate Wild Oats, you should hate Infotrack just as much. You were all talking rules like they were the best thing since sliced bread before the hearing, and now you don't agree and think they are a disgrace. If you want rules to be followed, you should be praising the jury for following them, not just cherry picking the ones you like.
Investec Loyal, Perpetual Loyal and Infotrack are the same yacht.

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
In theory yes. Or it may mean competitors sort it between themselves for potential infringements and if no agreement someone has to lodge a protest. It is dumb thinking by simply having a cry on TV the RC or prosecutor is going to be the policeman in a self policed sport. If Harburg didn't know that he knows it now.
I see the lack of effort here on the behalf of the RC as creating a lack of faith in RC's.

It's not going to end up being a positive for the sport......

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
If you hate Wild Oats
I don't hate Wild Oats.

I do hate cheating
...and arrogant cunts that think the rules don't apply to them
...and craven owners that hire them
...and spineless event organizers that let them get away with it
...and the effect it all has on the sport I've loved my entire life. 

Guvacine

North CA
Yes they did speak to media that how the RC found out.

The verdict is very clear and is just following the rules BJ should have protested or shut up imo
God I hate sycophant suck ups. Maybe its a Kiwi thing Liquid, from your inter-village contests? How can anyone cheer for a team of obvious cheaters? Note OBVIOUS. WOXI and Oats will now be remembered forever as the team that cheats (built on this and last year's performance).

nimbus

Australia
Is it worth mentioning that WOXI was represented by Glenn Bourke and Stephen Quigley in the room? Is it unusual for the skipper not to be there?