2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

DFL1010

Anarchist
Cornwall
I think we'll find out in the end what the real story is.  I bet most or all of the WOXI crew know what really happened and don't like the idea of having to avoid answering "the question" every time they walk into the bar from now on.  We just have to be a bit patient and not jump to conclusions.  It has occurred to a few people that the lack of AIS transmissions coincides with the main being up on the boat.  The optics of this are pretty bad but it is too early to rule out an inadvertent error or technical failure.  Given that it is apparently normal practice within the rules to shut off AIS transmit while racing in other races, they might also have simply followed normal practice and forgotten that S2H is different.

The rain has finally stopped here in the PNW, and my sock drawer is fully arranged, so it is time to put the mouse down and go out and enjoy some fresh air!
Post 797:

Just seen this facebook post from one of the crew on wild oats. 

Saddened by the fact a few of my old mates would have thought we would use our AIS system onboard to our advantage by turning it off during the great race.
The fact is the system got fried when our onboard cameraman went live at the start, we had no idea at all during the race till we finished .
The Wild Oats team is one of the best loyalist teams I have sailed with in my whole sailing career .
Assuming the above is true, would that change your outlook on this situation?

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Works fine now

image.png

trt131

Super Anarchist
Absolutely nothing will change the mind of most posters on an internet forum.  They have an opinion which they repeat over and over in the mistaken believe other forum readers will eventually come around to their point of view.  They even argue with themselves through sock puppets to try and get a point across.  This happens even when they are presented with factual evidence that they are wrong.  If you want to see more of this strange behavior head up the corridor to PA, Random loves it.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
To Hamilton Island Yacht Club.

Attention Mr Sandy Oatley.

Dear Sandy, it has been brought to my Attention that your are paying people on sailing forums to protect your brand- kind of shills for big Shiraz...
That was very polite of you LB.

I would have said 'Dear Cunt'. Though that may have detracted from the thrust of your request to be recognised as a Hamilton Island ambassador.

Hint. Be quick to get to the trough, I understand there is quite a line up.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I think we'll find out in the end what the real story is.  I bet most or all of the WOXI crew know what really happened and don't like the idea of having to avoid answering "the question" every time they walk into the bar from now on.
Mate..correction. They are not "crew". They are employees, some have already collected 3 gold watches. Bob's chair has already been modified to accommodate the big fella as a throne in waiting.

Francis Vaughan

Super Anarchist
Hmmm. The notion that the cameraman's transmission fried the AIS transmitter doesn't hold much water. 

Fry the AIS receiver maybe, but kill the transmitter and leave the receiver working takes some remarkable physics. Nor does the excuse match the point where it is apparent the AIS went off. And last of all, it doesn't match the AIS coming live again. 

Personally I'm quite happy to believe there was a fuck up. MR's statement about it not being mandatory is just as likely a reflex response to a blindsiding question about it not working as evidence of premeditated action. 

Most of this little story isn't about WOXI, it is about the nature of the culture, the players, and how the failure has been handled. No party comes out well. 

nimbus

Australia
I was actually very partial a trillion years ago to Rosemount wines that Bob kicked off, then sold did very very well and his boat program, let's buy an island for the idiot son etc program went up a notch or two.

The Wild Oats label he started post that unfortunately is absolute cats piss. I think their market was China though.
Rosemount Roxburgh Chardonnay from the Hunter Valley.  Lovely golden colour. It was a genuine chardonnay not like 90% of the others that where around at the same time.  Drank magnificently after two years of aging.

braunle

Comeon this is a big fairytale!

We’re not talking about an inshore Optimist regatta and the sailors and crews are not dumb idiots never put at step on a boat before.

I participated in a few of unfamous ocean regattas and our AIS was always checked on the gate entering the start field. We got approval via radio. BTW this happenend as well when I participated in Rolex Fastnet Race. They had 3 gates to enter the starting field.

a) I wonder how WOXI could enter the race ?

b) I wonder that nobody recognise this from race controle. Even when WOXI ran down Derwent river.

c) since it is part of sailing instructions that AIS must be active there seems to me no space for interpretation. I wonder that there are any discussions.

WOXI was still the fastest boat in 2018 but not by following the rules. If anybody is convinced that WOXI is a fair winner than this nothing else than giving a shit about rules. Keep in mind that all others follow the rules.

I have the impression that race committee  won’t  hurt WOXI after the history of last year. Others in this forum still mentioned favouritism. Bad, worse, worst decision! Now this world famous regatta has a flavour of untrustworthy. Applause, applause to the race committee  what an outstanding job!

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Absolutely nothing will change the mind of most posters on an internet forum.  They have an opinion which they repeat over and over in the mistaken believe other forum readers will eventually come around to their point of view.  They even argue with themselves through sock puppets to try and get a point across.  This happens even when they are presented with factual evidence that they are wrong.  If you want to see more of this strange behavior head up the corridor to PA, Random loves it.
It didn't take long for a cockwarbeller to appear.

Now son other than casting a quite slanderous spray over those in this room, do you actually have anything meaningfully to contribute?

Sort of treat it as a price of admission to a Beyonce concert you don't want to be at, but you then tell people you were there. No contribution is not good.

nimbus

Australia
Mate..correction. They are not "crew". They are employees, some have already collected 3 gold watches. Bob's chair has already been modified to accommodate the big fella as a throne in waiting.
Listen to Nic's interview of Lump o' Lard after the race.  He says something like "I don't do anything.  I just sit there."

DarkHorse

So, WOXI crew does admit it broke at the start - and simple check of marinetraffics or vessel finder apps would have shown they weren't 

The real question - is not transmitting a viable safety transgression? Did they check they were receiging AIS so their local MOB AIS devices worked? (I bet they did) and should the RC be responsible for managing the safety regs - now that we know they mis reported at the end of the race that everything worked, should that be enough to reopen the RC protest?

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Drank magnificently after two years of aging.
How in the fuck do you keep alcohol sitting there for two years without knocking the top off? Do you have some sort of cage with multiple locks and keys, like one you send to a relative in Latvia?

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Hmmm. The notion that the cameraman's transmission fried the AIS transmitter doesn't hold much water. 

Fry the AIS receiver maybe, but kill the transmitter and leave the receiver working takes some remarkable physics. Nor does the excuse match the point where it is apparent the AIS went off. And last of all, it doesn't match the AIS coming live again. 

Personally I'm quite happy to believe there was a fuck up. MR's statement about it not being mandatory is just as likely a reflex response to a blindsiding question about it not working as evidence of premeditated action. 

Most of this little story isn't about WOXI, it is about the nature of the culture, the players, and how the failure has been handled. No party comes out well. 
Lets add in, if not start with World Sailing and Australia Sailing. AIS is either a required safety feature, or it’s not. It should not be subject the gentleman’s agreement of a self policing sport if in fact it is to be a required safety feature.

If the organizing authority is going to require its use, then they should police the use of it, and penalize appropriately for non-compliance. Rail Meat has a good post about his experience in Europe with that very thing.

braunle

Just because I crawled over some messages like ‘it is normal practice within the rules to shut off AIS transmit while racing’.

1. This is Rolex Sydney to Hobart Regatta. Participants spent weeks to meet the entry criteria. Serious stuff, not fun on the fishing lake next door.

2. The sailing instruction are clear: AIS turned on, transmitting and receiving during the whole race.

Latest posts