2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
It is shameful that there are so many on this forum that desperately wanted WO DSQed and are really butthurt that it didn't happen.  Now they are attacking the Oatley family without knowing them and their values.  Bob would be upset, but upset at the loathsome sledgers' on this site suggesting the family were cheats, particularly those from outside of Australia who only know of the family by what is written by faceless idiots on a sailing website.  I guarantee none of those people would have balls to say those statements to their face or even by email and sign your real name.
Send me little Oatley’s email and I’ll tell him he should withdraw from this race.

mad

Super Anarchist
hoppy said:
Believe it or not, it takes 2 boats to have a collision. However it only takes the watch on one of those two boats to avoid the collision, assuming they spot the possibility in sufficient time.

If you work on the assumption that the race boat has a navigator regularly monitoring their navigation tools, which will include  receiving AIS prositions from commercial shipping and other vessels that legally must transmit. Then the race boat will be aware of the ship 20-60 nm out. If the racer is moving, they can adjust their course if necessary, turn on their AIS TX to make sure the ship sees them or make a radio call. 
Try that in the English Channel with some of the fishing boats, well known for turning AIS off. 

Crazy Cat

I accept that it’s pretty sad that the RC has no right to protest a competitor (or a number of them perhaps) for rule breaches, and that leads to the even sadder bit for the race and the sport that the Oats machine can continue on its merry way year after arrogant year. 

However, taking a Machiavellin approach, there are shitloads of rules or requirements in the SIs that are at odds with goal of minimising unnecessary bureaucracy while maximising safety. For example, why does the RSHYR still have radio skeds when the RC can see everyone on the YB trackers? Further, all the boats have the ability to access the raw data about EVERY boat from the Yellowbrick tracker site via their sat phones which gives them anything they might like to know. So who gives a shit about whether the AIS blip of another boat pops up on your laptop or plotter? 

Blackjack says he was disadvantaged by not seeing the Oats AIS blip on his plotter, but Cooney went to print and TV saying the info about any boat is easily accessed as in the para above and so he wasn’t fussed about whether WOXI’s AIS was transmitting or not. Also noted that he diplomatically  pointed out that there could be many reasons why a signal is not received, including receivers antenna etc. I’m sure he’s smart enough to know exactly what happened, but at least he doesn’t come across as red flag happy  

So, other than an arrogant prick having his snout smacked with a big spoon (like he was last year) by someone who is more intelligent, does the non-transmission of the AIS blip have a bearing on the actual sailing race? 

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
What would actually be required for a protest to be valid in a case where a boat finishing days after WOXI files a protest? Certainly they have no allowed means to inform WOXI until they are at the harbour and even then it may take some time to reach the crew.

What about the protest flag? Is this something they must find out while still racing and thus need to have a protest flag up before finishing? I don't think so. Flag is required only for "an

incident

in the racing area that she

wa

s involved in or s

aw". It is not even required when protesting about not sailing the course.

Would it even be possible to make a valid protest after seeing the protest by RC in the harbour and then filing an own protest based on that within the six hours from finishing?
Paragraphs aside that is the gist of the argument.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Except by their own admission they knew about it BEFORE they started and still chose to start knowing full well that they were non-compliant.
No, you misunderstood.

They didn't realise there was a problem until after they filled in the post race declaration.

Then, within the next two hours, they managed to;

• Identify and fix the problem; and
  • determine that the problem was caused by a camera man

Good engineer they must have got on board, pity he wasnt there for the race, he might have noticed that there was a problem.

random

Super Anarchist
does the non-transmission of the AIS blip have a bearing on the actual sailing race? 
Fuck, another oats sock. 

Get this through your thick skull.  It's about compliance to the rules.  They did not comply.

I do not give a fuck if it was deliberate or not.  They did not comply form before they started and should not have been allowed to take line honours.

It's that fucking simple.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
It would be most unlikely for any of the smaller boats to be carrying internet capabilities beyond a weather service.

On top of that there would be no reason for any of them to monitor the AIS transmission of any of the maxis.

Now don't you forget to keep feeding those reindeer. A visit to Rovaniemi is on my bucket list and I also want to buy a Marrtiini knife while I'm there. Some things must be earned..
Another fucking bot, this one doesn't even speak the lingo.....

No, you misunderstood.

They didn't realise there was a problem until after they filled in the post race declaration.

Good engineer they must have got on board, pity he wasnt there for the race, he might have noticed that there was a problem.
WRONG!

Go back and read ALL the above.

They claimed that it was "fried" during an interview at Bradley's Head. If they even suspected that a piece of compulsory equipment may be faulty it was incumbent upon them to check it and repair it and if unsuccessful report it to the RC.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
No, you misunderstood.

Another WOXI bot

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
WRONG!

Go back and read ALL the above.

They claimed that it was "fried" during an interview at Bradley's Head. If they even suspected that a piece of compulsory equipment may be faulty it was incumbent upon them to check it and repair it and if unsuccessful report it to the RC.
Feel free to show where they said they realised it was fried before being informed in Hobart that they were not transmitting.

I dont ghink the propaganda machine is dumb enough to make that mistake.

random

Super Anarchist
Feel free to show where they said they realised it was fried before being informed in Hobart that they were not transmitting.
So they are incompetent?

Ignorance is no excuse for noncompliance. 

• The dog ate my homework! 
  • Officer I didn't mean to go over the speed limit.
  • I had no idea my registration had expired.

They have no excuses, but claim they are innocent.  No one buys it.

I dont ghink the propaganda machine is dumb enough to make that mistake.
Feel free to go and do your own research, and once you have done that your apology will be graciously accepted.