2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Fuck me the bots are quoting each other. I need my daddy rest before new years, midnight is friggin scarey at my age. I fully expect to wake up to pedophile charges from the bots tomorrow after using the Daddy tag.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Apologies everyone, I just looked up screen and realised  I seem to be blurting. Its just that I respond to each comment as I see it after dinner.
Im just finishing a rather tasty Shiraz, from your neck of the woods. Incidentally, from 2012, back when I got to drink with the WO 11 crew in the Customs house. They deigned to talk to us, even though we had only sailed from Melbourne.

I had respect for them then, which is why I feel bad for most of them now.

random

Super Anarchist
If anyone ever doubted that organised social media and forum whitewashing can be bought if you have the cash ... check out this thread.

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
A big part of the problem is that the “protest committee” of old has morphed into a lot of things it probably has no place being involved in.  The rules don’t deal well enough with technology, employment or maritime law, and yet the “protest committee” is God, or at least a lot of them act that way.

And pros are going to cheat until they get caught and penalized. The whole issue of financial penalties needs to be addressed too, that’s the only thing that’s going to stop this crap, though Oatley might not care about about a $100,000 fine. 
Agree, but there's more to it than that.  Many competitors are unwilling to protest as it loses them brownie points and creates tension in the clubby world of yachting.  It's a boys club where honour is allegedly the prime considertaion, hence the focus on self policing.  Reality is that there are any number of competitors who flaunt the rules knowing their chances of getting caught are minimal.  For example in measurement - here in Australia the onus is placed on other competitors to protest anomalies.   Club dynamics being what they are, few do and the authorities have a quiet life.  I know of a boat that won a division in a Sydney-Hobart race with a dodgy rating due to it flying non-measured sails.  Blatant cheating.  When those same sails were eventually measured the rating went up 10 clicks and the boat clearly wouldn't have won Hobart, but bo-one did anything about the win and it stands.

A lot of vested interest supports lite touch and self policing sadly.  Financial penalties are of limited value, but cheats being very publicly barred from the sport for a period of time can make a difference - reputational damage in high circles has weight to it for owners and cutting off income for pro sailors also gets attention.

TPG

Super Anarchist
Agree, but there's more to it than that.  Many competitors are unwilling to protest as it loses them brownie points and creates tension in the clubby world of yachting.
But fuck helping your fellow competitor or informing of something wrong in any way. Because it's win at almost any cost as long as you can brag about it? Pretty sure crying to the media 'loses you brownie points' just as much as a protest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen this facebook post from one of the crew on wild oats. 

Saddened by the fact a few of my old mates would have thought we would use our AIS system onboard to our advantage by turning it off during the great race.
The fact is the system got fried when our onboard cameraman went live at the start, we had no idea at all during the race till we finished .
The Wild Oats team is one of the best loyalist teams I have sailed with in my whole sailing career .
Here you are, apology accepted in advance.

As I chose not to do BookFace i cannot attest to the veracity of this. Possibly those that do (BookFace) can.

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
But fuck helping your fellow competitor or informing of something wrong in any way. Because it's win at almost any cost as long as you can brag about it? Pretty sure crying to the media 'loses you brownie points' just as much as a protest.
You're possibly right but my guess is that Harburg wanted the RC to do the dirty work so it wasn't him who shafted WOXI

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
The two most recent races, the violation of SI and RRS suggest a pattern.

Whether it’s arrogance or ignorance, with a professional crew either is negligence. Last years race was properly protested by the fouled boat, and a penalty assessed. This year’s violation was tossed on a technicality. Perhaps it’s time for a level of scrutiny found in F1 and NASCAR, where the logo smothered contestants try to shave the rules, and the racers use a variety of tactics that involve poor sportsmanship. 

“BASIC PRINCIPLES
SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES
Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.“

Its pretty simple:

Any/all boats that sailed with out functional gear are in violation. Intent is not a factor  

Any boat’s that noticed the violation are expected to enforce the rules. 

Toss both WOXI and Black Jack for  rule 69.1 

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So they are incompetant
No.

Do try to keep up.

I think they cheated.

I was sarcasticually summerising the logic as presented in order to show how farcical it is.

Surely there cannot be anybody who believes this story?

(but this is a pointless discussion now. The fat lady has sung, WO 11 won, CYCA and the sport of sailing lost)

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
No.

Do try to keep up.

I think they cheated.

I was sarcasticually summerising the logic as presented in order to show how farcical it is.

Somebody will believe anything. 

Faith is belief in the absence of proof. Denial is belief in the presence of it. 

No.

Do try to keep up.

I think they cheated.

This is the nub of it.

There is not one story but multiple stories (excuses) which only surface when an uncomfortable question arises.

Maw

I'm still working through all the onboard systems trying to work out how a cameraman can fry my AIS TX. 

I've trying everything and I cant work out how he did it.

Unless you unscrew the ground for the antenna and use the PC USB port, and then I have to create an earth....nope, that's not it......

Fuck this is hard.

Maybe the cameraman picked up a megger instead of the camera? And screwed it in situ sans the VHF? That would do it. 

random

Super Anarchist
You're possibly right but my guess is that Harburg wanted the RC to do the dirty work so it wasn't him who shafted WOXI
True,  they are naive enough not to realise that the protestor does not DSQ anyone, the PC do.

How many fucking times have I said on these boards that rule infractions must be protested by anyone aware of them.  I have been howled down by most.

But this is what happens when you do not follow the rules.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Before you get anymore off the track .... Read the fucking rules!   You have no excuse not to understand them, but you do not.

Acceptance of the rules includes agreement

1. to be governed by the rules;
  2. to accept the penalties imposed and other action taken under the rules, subject to the appeal and review procedures provided in them, as the final determination of any matter arising under the rules;
  3. with respect to any such determination, not to resort to any court of law or tribunal not provided for in the rules; and
  4. by each competitor and boat owner to ensure that their support persons are aware of the rules.

Edit: There is no requirement for you or anyone else to agree with the Rules.  If you do not, do not sign on to the race, if you do then in effect it is a legally binding contract between you and the Organising Authority.  It is the law.
I see why most of the people in this forum think you are an asshole. Because you are. Your reply has nothing whatsoever to do with my post. 

Racing Rules are also not “the law”. 

marcoo

OKAY. The victory of WOXI is tainted with a hint of cheating, the attitude of Black Jack is incomprehensible and that of the jury is shameful. But it seems to me that someone is forgotten in that story: Comanche. Because, if a boat has been fucked in this story, it's Comanche. If I have understood the race, Comanche was leading by 3 NM, she fell in a hole with no wind and ended up with 3NM late. But why did they not cover their opponent? Did they make a tactical error or did they not know where WOXI was? If so, why did they not put a protest? The fact they did not is in favour of WOXI, don't you think so?

Crazy Cat

Fuck, another oats sock. 

Get this through your thick skull.  It's about compliance to the rules.  They did not comply.

I do not give a fuck if it was deliberate or not.  They did not comply form before they started and should not have been allowed to take line honours.

It's that fucking simple.
I bet you were a fucking litter monitor or prefect at school and still have the blind focus on exclusively what is in front of your snotty nose. 

I’m so far from an Oats sock it’s beyond your grasp of numeracy. A rule is introduced this year for the first time. Arrogant fuck breaks it. Sure, simplistically he deserves a size 11 up the arse. But all 4 boats sailed the most exciting race we have seen possibly ever, so get over the need to tell the teacher that someone pulled some other girls hair and enjoy the brilliant sailing for which that each of them deserve to be congratulated. It gave no disadvantage to anyone whatsoever. Unlike last year when he nearly took both boats out of the race and genuinely deserved what he got. 

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
frant said:
They incompetently cheated or cheated incompetently. . Most probably cheated by incompetence. I suspect that they did not understand that the AIS  requirements of the SI’s require the unit to be Tx and Rx at all times, not just as per special regs which require the capability to do so. They then hit the silent button and submitted a valid declaration in accordance with their own incorrect understanding.of SI.

From then it’s all make it up as they go.
I think we agree completely, but I have the advantage of having just consumed a nice bottle of Shiraz.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
I have races against boats who did not carry all of the required equipment, and who had Spinnakers of questionable size and number appear during races, and never did anything about it. For some reason, only boats known for their strict adherence to the rules ever seemed to be audited post race . . . 

Given this steaming turd of an outcome, what is the proper process for ensuring a boat you suspect does not comply is investigated? Is it a protest? What about a boat who has never taken the required water and fuel, same steps?