2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I meant that if you are disposed to cheat by not running transmit for the whole race then there is a high likelihood that you will be caught.  And that risk does not nearly offset the advantage gained by being invisible for the whole race.   
And that my friend is why many of us cannot wrap our heads around it.  Is anybody that arrogant or that stupid?  Doesn't matter, a sportsman would have RAF'd.  

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
If I was Rolex I’d not be pleased with all this controversy.

Fake winner, might as well buy one of those Malaysian knock off Molex watches.

random

Super Anarchist
I want what you're smoking!  But I'll check my mailbox for the next few days just in case...... B)
Exhibit II-6: How Social Media Spending Compares to Big Data and Mobility Investments

Ex-2.6-social-media-spending-investments.jpg

• Downvote
Reactions: VOA

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
And that my friend is why many of us cannot wrap our heads around it.  Is anybody that arrogant or that stupid?  Doesn't matter, a sportsman would have RAF'd.  
I think you and Billy have the right of it.  I think WOXI just screwed up and shut transmit off before the race like they always do because they forgot about the rule that says they have to keep it on.  They probably even filed their finishing report saying they were compliant, once again in ignorance, and later on discovered they had screwed up.  

But yes, they should have RAF'd after that, and they will have to hang their heads in shame from now on for not doing so.  

I do not have hard evidence for my opinion.  Note that I am not screaming "cheaters" from the rooftops, because I think they made an honest but stupid mistake.  Doesn't excuse that they didn't RAF, however.

random

Super Anarchist
Exhibit II-6: How Social Media Spending Compares to Big Data and Mobility Investments

Troll post is troll.
image.png

"We also asked companies how big their social media staff was across their entire organizations (not just in their divisions). The average number of social media employees working full-time across respondents’ companies was 56; the median was 19. These figures also demonstrate a big gulf between the respondents with a large social media staff and those with a small one.(See Exhibit II-7) About one-third of respondents totaled up 10 or fewer employees working full-time on social media across their entire company. At the other end were the 17% of respondents with more than 100 full-time social media staff across the organization."

Last edited by a moderator:
frant said:
You are just digging a deeper hole. The other boats or Black Jack in particular have navigators that use AIS for tactical as  well as straight out vessel proximity management. It beggars belief that the navigator on WOXI could go the whole race without “noticing” that he was not receiving AIS from his competitors. 

Further if you sign a declaration then it must be correct or did an amended declaration get submitted with a mea culpa when the error was discovered?
This question kind of gets to the heart of it.  I suppose (but have no way of knowing) WOXI contends that their AIS was working perfectly all the way along - as far as they knew.  And they filed their Post Race Report along those lines.  Then on the strength of a suggestion that their AIS was not transmitting they should amend their report?  I would want to know myself, for sure and so perhaps (I have no way of knowing) they cranked it back up in Hobart (Cold Boot) and presto they popped right up on the net.  There is speculation about the Cameraman in Sydney taking it out but how can they know that?  Maybe they have been unable to repeat the problem and so never discovered an error.

There is the rub.  Are they responsible for a good faith effort or the outcome?  It's like putting the right postage on a correctly addressed letter and sending it off.  Something can go wrong after its out of your hands.  You don't have complete control over whether it gets where its going - the outcome.

And I am still struck by how this online inquisition is directed at only one boat.  It is said that as many as 30 percent of the fleet had AIS irregularities on the course.  If this is about safety or the proper application of the rules and fairness then why is no one demanding that these boats tracks be examined, their post race reports be reviewed and/or amended, or extraordinary protests be commenced by sailors sitting in an armchair half way around the world - to preserve the integrity of the sport?

It starts to sound personal - like a Witch Hunt - if we are not asking those boats to meet the same standards of rules compliance. 

TPG

Super Anarchist
View attachment 294357

"We also asked companies how big their social media staff was across their entire organizations (not just in their divisions). The average number of social media employees working full-time across respondents’ companies was 56; the median was 19. These figures also demonstrate a big gulf between the respondents with a large social media staff and those with a small one.(See Exhibit II-7) About one-third of respondents totaled up 10 or fewer employees working full-time on social media across their entire company. At the other end were the 17% of respondents with more than 100 full-time social media staff across the organization."
Which companies were those and what was their marketing budget? I mean it's cool, you found an article about billion dollar corps using social media to market like a machine, and you have a hardon for comparing woxi's response to the hot mess that is this years SH, but your obsession here is like woody's obsession with the nursing home. Robert Oatley wines probably employs as many total as the companies you reference have running their daycare departments.

random

Super Anarchist
Which companies were those and what was their marketing budget? I mean it's cool, you found an article about billion dollar corps using social media to market like a machine, and you have a hardon for comparing woxi's response to the hot mess that is this years SH, but your obsession here is like woody's obsession with the nursing home. Robert Oatley wines probably employs as many total as the companies you reference have running their daycare departments.
"Forbes magazine last year estimated his net (Bob Oatley) worth to be $910 million, while he was listed at number 49 on last year's BRW Rich List, with an estimated wealth of $1 billion."

Can't see them going without a Social Media Team.  Maybe you can, you on the payroll?

Except by their own admission they knew about it BEFORE they started and still chose to start knowing full well that they were non-compliant.
Post 797

"Just seen this facebook post from one of the crew on wild oats. 

Saddened by the fact a few of my old mates would have thought we would use our AIS system onboard to our advantage by turning it off during the great race.
The fact is the system got fried when our onboard cameraman went live at the start, we had no idea at all during the race till we finished .
The Wild Oats team is one of the best loyalist teams I have sailed with in my whole sailing career ."

Emphasis mine.

That is not how I read this.

random

Super Anarchist
This question kind of gets to the heart of it.  I suppose (but have no way of knowing) WOXI contends that their AIS was working perfectly all the way along - as far as they knew.  And they filed their Post Race Report along those lines
But they were not in compliance.  Is that too fucking hard for you to grasp such a simple concept?

They did not comply, they got the trophy!  How is that a good thing for the sport of yachting?

They showed arrogance and poor sportsmanship by not withdrawing from the race as soon as it was pointed out to them that they were non-compliant.

That's cheating.

TPG

Super Anarchist
"Forbes magazine last year estimated his net (Bob Oatley) worth to be $910 million, while he was listed at number 49 on last year's BRW Rich List, with an estimated wealth of $1 billion."

Can't see them going without a Social Media Team.  Maybe you can, you on the payroll?

I'm sure it's a great gig but sadly they have no presence in seppo land. I'm sure they have a huge social media team comprising of whatever industry outsourced marketing  company they use. That has zero interest in the owners toys.

So tell me, what's the average value of the companies your study has? Not their owners net worth, the companies net worth.

random

Super Anarchist
Post 797

Saddened by the fact a few of my old mates would have thought we would use our AIS system onboard to our advantage by turning it off during the great race.
The fact is the system got fried when our onboard cameraman went live at the start, we had no idea at all during the race till we finished .
The Wild Oats team is one of the best loyalist teams I have sailed with in my whole sailing career ."

Emphasis mine.

So they should have retired.  "oh please sir it wasn't my fault the dog ate my homework!"

Arrogant cunts.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Post 797

Emphasis mine.

I'm not sure if I'm arguing with you or the quote, but there is absolutely NOTHING a cameraman working on batteries could do to fry anything.  Please stop the stupidity.