2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

Not if AIS receive was still switched on, and you first became aware of the error after the declaration was submitted..
And take another step that it was turned off after the finish (likely).  Then they hear from someone on the dock that their transmissions were not received on the net (I put this in just to raise Random's blood pressure) or they were not transmitting and so they run back downstairs and switch AIS back on (the Cold Boot theory) - and up they come all fine on the net.  For all they knew or could test at that point it was working fine - not hard to make an "in compliance" post race report.

bayboy

Wow, so many words "Me thinks the lady doth protestuth too much"

• WOXI did not comply with the SIs
  • WOXI got the silver on a technicality
  • WOXI failed to withdraw from the event after they learned that they were non-compliant as is required,  the most basic rule in sailing.

BASIC PRINCIPLES

SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES
Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.

Can't get a more blatant breach than this.  Can't get a more blatant example of bad sportsmanship.

Fuck them I say.
Guess what Wild Oats won Line Honors full stop, the history books will show Wild Oats 9th win

random

Super Anarchist
Guess what Wild Oats won Line Honors full stop, the history books will show Wild Oats 9th win
Yes, and I bet they think it now was not worth it.

There is no excuse for being such a cunt that you break the most fundamental rule in the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

staysail

Super Anarchist
hoppy said:
I understand that this is case closed and time to move on.
I think not! More like this has the makings of becoming one of yacht racing's great all-time scandals.

One can but deliberate privately why the race organisers appeared so keen to "move on" in the face of what has been observed and reported, and did not feel obliged to determine for themselves if their quite high profile race has been fairly contested.

I am curious to see how the race will get reported in the sport's main monthly internationally circulated printed publications once their writers have had time to consider what has been going on down under. What will these publishers dare to print?

bayboy

Yes, and I bet they think it now was not worth it.

There is no excuse for being such a cunt that you break the most fundamental rule in the sport.
No one will remember in 10 years time, this just adds to the list of contention in Sydney to Hobart that dates back to the 60's

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I raced my first of many Mackinac races on the yacht Vagary, a Peterson 43 that the owner finished off the bare hull himself (125K for the hull in '79 or so, I saw the receipt).  It was '84 and the start was upwind and we were doing ok, for whatever reason we ended up somewhere great and ended up first overall.  No spare tiller, the owner who built the boat explained how he would make one from the pipe berths.  Tossed, and I have no problem with that.  The next year, the SI's were modified to only requiring a spare tiller if yours was likely to break.  On Vagary, it was 1/4 " sheet metal welded together, that tiller will survive the next millennium.  

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
Memo to CYCA:

In order to avoid accepting a false declaration regarding AIS again (how/why did they not know?):

For next year’s race, why have two mandatory race trackers if the CYCA is incapable of policing them?

Make only AIS mandatory. And if you don’t show on AIS, you don’t show on any other social media tracker either.

Even the CYCA could police that......

Last edited by a moderator:

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Wow, so many words "Me thinks the lady doth protestuth too much"

• WOXI did not comply with the SIs
  • WOXI got the silver on a technicality
  • WOXI failed to withdraw from the event after they learned that they were non-compliant as is required,  the most basic rule in sailing.
Yup you got the essence of it.  WOXI is the line honor champion.

Reflex Sailor

UK
Arguably the PC -after deciding the technicality - could have asked MR if he still believed his declaration was true and to consider RAF pending which they would consider r69 protest....

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
The other issue is regardless of how and when they became aware of their non compliance they did become aware of it and chose to ignore it.
Interesting question, let’s say I am in the wrong on a Port / Starboard incident, the starboard boat has to alter course by 10 degrees.

the starboard boat does not protest, should I report myself?

I suspect most of us would fail that test ...

staysail

Super Anarchist
Interesting question, let’s say I am in the wrong on a Port / Starboard incident, the starboard boat has to alter course by 10 degrees.

the starboard boat does not protest, should I report myself?

I suspect most of us would fail that test ...
Not even vaguely relevant to this thread.

LB 15

Cunt
Once upon a time in the deep north there were two large yachts becalmed in a major race. The slightly smaller one (that used to be owned by the same guy who now owns the bigger one) had run out of drinking water and did not have any emergency water as required by the rules. The race director himself came out in a boat and gave them water to continue racing. The larger boat was quite close and saw the outside assistance but, as the aft guard were sailmakers and the smaller boat was a customer, they did not protest. The smaller boat did put in their declaration that they had received outside assistance and had not complied with the SI’s, yet no penalty was given and they won the race over all. The smaller boat would go onto win the S2H in later years and the crew of the bigger boat would go on to get a bigger boat and come second over the line in the same race. They would then report to the RC that the boat that beat them over the line had not complied with the SI’s.

YCMTSU.