2019 Worrell 1000 Reunion Race

[SIZE=36pt]Worrell 1000 Reunion Race[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=22pt]Preliminary Notice of Race – 2019[/SIZE]

(Revision 14MAR2018)

[SIZE=13.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“The Worrell 1000 Reunion Race” (W1KRR) is an offshore long distance beach catamaran sailboat race to be held on/about May 2019 in the waters between Florida and Virginia Beach, VA. The race will cover approximately 1000 miles with overnight stops at multiple locations along the East Coast of the United States.  [/SIZE]Through a collaborative agreement between “Worrell 1000, Inc.” and “Sail Series Promotions USA, Inc.”, an organization has been formed to oversee the Research and Development, and Running of the race.  This combined organization will be the Organizing Authority for the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race. 

[SIZE=12pt]The race will be governed by the rules as defined by the current edition of the “The Racing Rules of Sailing” (RRS 2017-2020)  [/SIZE]and applicable Class Rules, except as modified by this NoR and/or the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race Sailing Instructions. Boats will be 20 foot production beach catamarans of a single type. The Organizing Authority is making efforts to tentatively have a limited number of charter boats available.  Final boat type has still to be determined and will be announced in a subsequent formal W1KRR NoR and/or W1KRR Sailing Instructions. Registration information, definitive dates, final course and checkpoint locations, and further information will be [SIZE=12pt]detailed in updates/revisions to this NoR and/or in the W1KRR Sailing Instructions and will be published soon after the completion of 2018 Florida 300 to take place in May 2018.[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Additional contact information along with names, web locations, etc. will be advertised as the Organizing Authority continues to discuss further conditions for this race.

https://www.facebook.com/Worrell1000

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I think that I hold the distinction (dubious?) of having been a competitor, member of the race committee, AND a ground crew chief on the Worrell 1000 race ALL in the same year!

Brutal conditions both on and off the course...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
[SIZE=36pt]Worrell 1000 Reunion Race[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=22pt]Preliminary Notice of Race – 2019[/SIZE]

(Revision 14MAR2018)

[SIZE=12pt]“The Worrell 1000 Reunion Race” (W1KRR) is an offshore long distance beach catamaran sailboat race to be held on/about May 2019 in the waters between Florida and Virginia Beach, VA. The race will cover approximately 1000 miles with overnight stops at multiple locations along the East Coast of the United States.  [/SIZE]Through a collaborative agreement between “Worrell 1000, Inc.” and “Sail Series Promotions USA, Inc.”, an organization has been formed to oversee the Research and Development, and Running of the race.  This combined organization will be the Organizing Authority for the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race. 

[SIZE=12pt]The race will be governed by the rules as defined by the current edition of the “The Racing Rules of Sailing” (RRS 2017-2020)  [/SIZE]and applicable Class Rules, except as modified by this NoR and/or the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race Sailing Instructions. Boats will be 20 foot production beach catamarans of a single type. The Organizing Authority is making efforts to tentatively have a limited number of charter boats available.  Final boat type has still to be determined and will be announced in a subsequent formal W1KRR NoR and/or W1KRR Sailing Instructions. Registration information, definitive dates, final course and checkpoint locations, and further information will be [SIZE=12pt]detailed in updates/revisions to this NoR and/or in the W1KRR Sailing Instructions and will be published soon after the completion of 2018 Florida 300 to take place in May 2018.[/SIZE]

Additional contact information along with names, web locations, etc. will be advertised as the Organizing Authority continues to discuss further conditions for this race.

https://www.facebook.com/Worrell1000
random capitalizations make me nervous.  This will be the fifth time by my counting that someone has tried to relaunch the W1000 since 2005.  I wish them best of luck.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I'd love to see Randy Smyth race his little Tri! Sounds like one design again. That is why most of the attempts to relaunch that Mr Clean mentions failed. Run what you brung!

I'll fly back to the US from NZ for this... wouldn't miss something like this for the world!

If anybody wants crew, PM me, I've got lots of beach cat (Hobie 16, F18, various Nacras, never foiled though) experience both on salt and freshwater, good with wind shifts and coastal sailing, degree in fluid dynamics, mid 20s, 75kgs. 

Have sailed Ruff Riders (race around South Padre Island), the Matakana Raid (race around Matakana Island, near Tauranga, NZ) and the Dash (the last leg of the GT300), but not the GT300 itself. Regrettably left Texas too soon to do it :(

Cheers!

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Hopefully this comes to fruition but like all I have my doubts. Best move right now is to signup and support the Florida 300 this year, as I believe its the same group putting the Worrell together.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Might have been better to keep it underground. Set the dates, let ppl self regulate. Couple of chase boats. OD would be good for spares but have to agree, keeping it open to all beach cats  would get the numbers up. 

jhc

Super Anarchist
I raced monohulls with a guy, Rob, back in 1986 who said he had the record for W1000. When it was one leg, Florida/Virginia, Hobie 16s. One night at Captain Jack's he ordered and ate the bulk of "one gross" oysters on the half shell. I don't think there are people like that, who would sign up for a race like W1000 anymore. Even with legs, stops overnight, it's a brutal event, little services, or for the matter publicity. Would be popular as an on line event I reckon.

Last edited by a moderator:
this appears to me to be the most methodical and deliberate approach to bringing a 1000 mile race back to the east coast i have seen in a long time. i don't really get Clean's point of view (situation normal) regarding the classes invited - there are a ton of F18s racing in the US, and the boat has been very successful in races like the Tybee 500 and Texas 300. the Nacra F20 is offered in three configurations, but only one of those can beach launch and land, and that one happens to be the one that the majority of F20 owners have. if the classes and typos form the crux of your criticism, Clean, i think you've both feet off base.

i absolutely understand skepticism and the strong feelings that surround the event, both pro and con. i'm making plans, though - this effort is coming from a good place, involves the right people, and has the seed funding to get going. in fact, turtle permits and hotels have already been contemplated, ground-truthed, and figured into the checkpoints selected. some of the historical checkpoints have been lost to beach erosion and development - the fact that someone's made the trip to see what will work demonstrates to me that planning is farther along than i would have guessed.

so let's see - plenty of work to come no matter what role is taken; organizer, competitor, manager, press.

edit: oh, and that logo? it is the original logo - taps into that "reunion" nostalgia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Good points John. The F20 you mention would be a fine boat for the race. But selling a one design boat for the race as was done for an earlier re-incarnation was a disaster in more than one way and probably the reason for Clean's comments. 

Hopefully everyone can keep an open mind and work from a clean (pun not intended) sheet an make this race happen.

I still treasure my original logo knit shirts from the 87 race (although I can no longer wear them...).

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Clean is waaay off base on the F18 front. 39 boats at the 2017 Nationals and 55 boats back in 2013 doesn't exactly strike me as a boat that is barely sailed in the U.S, especially as there are regular weekend regattas on boat coasts with 10+ F18's in attendance. What other twin trapeze, spinnaker equipped boat can boast similar numbers in the U.S?

The F20c is a rare boat but there are several in Florida and its proven itself capable of bashing upwind into 30+ kts. I just don't think the enthusiasm for a 300 mile race run during the middle of the week is there; do it Thursday-Sunday, slightly longer legs on a more compressed time scale that fits into peoples busy lives and it might be a winner. The Worrell 1000 is a different ball game but the people signing up know that.

In the end I hope this race comes to fruition and I'm glad the organizers didn't limit the fleet to F20c's only.

wlrottge

San Antonio
There are several serious teams that are making plans...

image.jpg