2021 Delta Ditch Run

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Who is in?

This will be the 30th running of the Delta Ditch Run - It promises to be a great 65 nm downwind ride from the Richmond Yacht Club, up the bays and rivers, to the Stockton Sailing Club.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.34.55 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
A bucket list item for us as well, and it was on our schedule, but we had to cancel.

Different question: what would be your ideal ride for this race with an eye toward doing well and having a ball? It seems to me that sailing deep with a symmetrical spinnaker would be better for the twists and turns rather than sailing hot angles and gybing a Melges 32 or something every 90 seconds. Moore 24 or Express 27? Cal 40 with a longer waterline, a bigger ice chest and a better stereo? 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
A bucket list item for us as well, and it was on our schedule, but we had to cancel.

Different question: what would be your ideal ride for this race with an eye toward doing well and having a ball? It seems to me that sailing deep with a symmetrical spinnaker would be better for the twists and turns rather than sailing hot angles and gybing a Melges 32 or something every 90 seconds. Moore 24 or Express 27? Cal 40 with a longer waterline, a bigger ice chest and a better stereo? 
I think my ride would be perfect. Assym on a pole till we go symmetric, and put up the 2nd pole to make the foredeck easy. Only problem is the 9' draft means no cutting corners. But after a couple ocean race weekends the crew wanted a weekend off from a promised hate mission home.  Wife said something along those lines as well...

But you can't go wrong with the Moore or the Express

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
Assym on a pole till we go symmetric
Now there is a good idea. I sailed for a while on a Mumm 30 that had four options: masthead asymmetric, fractional asymmetric, masthead symmetric and fractional symmetric. The boat was complicated (including kite selection), but it was a hoot.

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
 a promised hate mission home.  Wife said something along those lines as well...
Smart wife. The trip home is indeed a hate mission, but it is a walk in the park compared to the old Stockton South Tower race. THAT was a hate mission. Did it on an Express 37 once. Not surprising that race died.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Smart wife. The trip home is indeed a hate mission, but it is a walk in the park compared to the old Stockton South Tower race. THAT was a hate mission. Did it on an Express 37 once. Not surprising that race died.
I'm sure tacking that #1 a hundred times not only hurt the body, but destroyed the sail at the same time. 

Pro looper

Doing it on NELLE BELLE, Have won it OA on SUMMERTIME M-24 Proto and OCTAVIA  SC-50 hope it's a good year

on board ECLIPSE for a record south tower 21Hrs what a wild ride

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Having done it a bunch on the moore, I think it’s the horses for the course. This year I am doing it on a multi hull, the real question is how many gybes will we do. 

vegas odds over/under at 100 gybes. 

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
We are hoping the sustained winds of 20 will allow for our lead mine will keep up with the Moores. We will be rigged for speed but can not plane. With figures crossed we are shooting for a sub 7:30 finish.

Pro looper

I think it was 170 + on the  PEGASUS N-20 cat

Having done it a bunch on the moore, I think it’s the horses for the course. This year I am doing it on a multi hull, the real question is how many gybes will we do. 

vegas odds over/under at 100 gybes. 

Frank White

Symmetrical kite on the SC-52 we did 22 gybes, actually pretty civilized. First mono to finish, corrected into 90th out of 92. 

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Last year — during the unofficial ditch run. Lots of south in the wind but a big breeze year we got to SSC by 3:45. Fastest trip I have done on the moore. 

have fun everyone!! 

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
We are hoping the sustained winds of 20 will allow for our lead mine will keep up with the Moores. We will be rigged for speed but can not plane. With figures crossed we are shooting for a sub 7:30 finish.
If you are in a leadmine (as I usually am) I suspect 15-16 knots is better than 20. In 20 the Moore's and E27's will light up and be gone... In 15-16 your waterline will work for you.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Ok what is the delta ditch run??
It's a 70 mile sprint up an ever narrowing river from Richmond, CA (north end of SF Bay) to Stockton. Navigation challenges with shallow bars that the smaller boats try to skirt, sometimes not successfully.  "Usually" starts mellow, builds into a fun reach for 10 miles turning into a run with increasing breeze as the day progresses. One nice little challenge in the middle of the course as you've been sailing with a kite for a couple hours, but can you make a left dog-leg with the kite for 1/2 mile before it turns downwind again? Call it right and make lots of gains. Call it wrong and end up on the rock wall. I've seen boats there...

Can turn into a gybe-fest in the last few miles as the wind lightens by dinner time and goes dead astern following the river channel.

Usually means the normal sea breeze which is maybe 5 days out of 7. One year it was upwind in squalls from the south. Another year a northerly blew.

ROADKILL666

Super Anarchist
FREAKVILLE, FL
It's a 70 mile sprint up an ever narrowing river from Richmond, CA (north end of SF Bay) to Stockton. Navigation challenges with shallow bars that the smaller boats try to skirt, sometimes not successfully.  "Usually" starts mellow, builds into a fun reach for 10 miles turning into a run with increasing breeze as the day progresses. One nice little challenge in the middle of the course as you've been sailing with a kite for a couple hours, but can you make a left dog-leg with the kite for 1/2 mile before it turns downwind again? Call it right and make lots of gains. Call it wrong and end up on the rock wall. I've seen boats there...

Can turn into a gybe-fest in the last few miles as the wind lightens by dinner time and goes dead astern following the river channel.

Usually means the normal sea breeze which is maybe 5 days out of 7. One year it was upwind in squalls from the south. Another year a northerly blew.
Sounds like a blast.So jealous all we we have is the mug race and it sucks!