2021 Delta Ditch Run

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
If you are in a leadmine (as I usually am) I suspect 15-16 knots is better than 20. In 20 the Moore's and E27's will light up and be gone... In 15-16 your waterline will work for you.
We might be the only plank on frame wooden boat racing.  I have seen us outrun the E27 class champion in 20 knots. We would love to run that fast again.  I dont think Gordie Nash wants to see us either when it blows.

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
in and running a dream team...my two collegiate sailors and their 8 year old grom sister in her first ditch

25 moores booyah

Last edited by a moderator:

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
Timur said:
yeah, yeah you pot-smoking hippy sailors from NorCal and your cooler-n-cool 40yo balsa-cored rocketships from the 70's Show.  Family-oriented old-school ULDB surfing fun while play the Dead all the way up the Ditch on a broad reach boom-box blasting.  I. AM. Not. One. Bit. Jealous.
"don't hate me because i'm beautiful" ~ k. lebrock circa 1980's

It's a 70 mile sprint up an ever narrowing river from Richmond, CA (north end of SF Bay) to Stockton. Navigation challenges with shallow bars that the smaller boats try to skirt, sometimes not successfully.  "Usually" starts mellow, builds into a fun reach for 10 miles turning into a run with increasing breeze as the day progresses. One nice little challenge in the middle of the course as you've been sailing with a kite for a couple hours, but can you make a left dog-leg with the kite for 1/2 mile before it turns downwind again? Call it right and make lots of gains. Call it wrong and end up on the rock wall. I've seen boats there...

Can turn into a gybe-fest in the last few miles as the wind lightens by dinner time and goes dead astern following the river channel.

Usually means the normal sea breeze which is maybe 5 days out of 7. One year it was upwind in squalls from the south. Another year a northerly blew.
Raz'r is being modest... this is the Death Race of NorCal for either your boat, your crew, or both.

The Moore Fleet has mostly civilized racing while the high horsepower boats have their hands full. Testing your Nav Skils in tight and constrained areas while doing 20's through other fleets is a bit different than most other regattas. 

Plenty of carnage usually but addicting as hell. Funnest thing you can do in a boat with your pants on though. See you there.

789.jpg

dri.jpg

th.jpg

2015-DitchRun-Selects-60.jpg

5063legs.jpg

1234.jpg

the.jpg

hendo.jpg

zebra.jpg

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
3hr 59min
Wow. That doesn't leave much time for crash recovery. I've been on the rocks after a bad gybe after that famous windy reach. The wind pressure rather favors the faster boats in an exponential way. Being able to get thru that last ship channel leg before the afternoon pressure eases can greatly improve one's finish.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Raz'r is being modest... this is the Death Race of NorCal for either your boat, your crew, or both.

The Moore Fleet has mostly civilized racing while the high horsepower boats have their hands full. Testing your Nav Skils in tight and constrained areas while doing 20's through other fleets is a bit different than most other regattas. 

Plenty of carnage usually but addicting as hell. Funnest thing you can do in a boat with your pants on though. See you there.

View attachment 445808
I still wonder how they extracted that Hendo. Maybe it's still there...  (I know it's not, hey buddy!)

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
We finished at about 5:20, it was a light start,Moderate day.  Took about 4 hours to tow the boat home. Back on my couch after over 100 gybes and 140 miles on the water n

Pro looper

Moore 24's 1-5 over all NelleBelle 6,  as IMR said soft start slow build around Pittsburg peaked

at @ 22-25kts. all-around a very nice sail and really fun day!

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
We had a blast on the only timber boat that sailed this year and most likely oldest. We came in a bit late after a pretty tight hourglass spin wrap and recovery.  Nothing was damaged or broken. We can not wait to do it again! See ya next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

We had a blast on the only timber boat that sailed this year and most likely oldest. We came in a bit late after a pretty tight hourglass spin wrap and recovery.  Nothing was damaged or broken. We can not wait to do it again! See ya next year.

How was the delivery home? Got a bit sporty in the north bay about 3pm yesterday.