2021 Sydney to Hobart

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Someone I am close to thinks URM is a very strong contender this year.  They are currently flogging Moneypenny (as they did in the Bird Island Race) and I think they are definitely one to watch.  However, they have a very talented crew - of dinghy Olympians.  Big boat experience is the weakness.  
They’ve actually got a good mix of blokes. There are a few dinghy guys on board, but between Marcus, Mothy, Pete Harris and Seve you’ve also got guys who know how big the ka-boom is when you load a big boat incorrectly.

Jason AUS

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Who was the boat at mark one with the kite flogging at the masthead, approx with the TP52s ?
99% sure it was Denali. They got to the turning mark with the kite still up, tried to go upwind with the kite still up, smoked the tack and got on national tv with a lovely masthead spinnaker sized flag.

In fact, I’d be surprised if they hadn’t chewed the side out of the masthead sheave box in the manoeuvre.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
This one is doing all right,
5th position after the 3 100 footers and Stephan Racing. 
Alive Reichel Pugh 66:
Alive Reichel Pugh 66.jpg

random101

Super Anarchist
Well here we are another year in. 

Can’t believe there are so many familiar face still around; Terra, Jason ect 

Looks like a C… of a trip south so kudos to all the guys and girls giving it a crack. I’ll enjoy being an armchair amateur. 

Looks like there were a few nerves going around that rounding mark. Again you can have a boat full of dingy pros, but it’s different to a big boat pro crew, which isn’t to different to a regular crew that rack up a lot of hours… 

I don’t believe boats with autopilot should be able to win - as autopilot tech has been on par with decent helmsman for the past 15years so I’d imagine it’s come a long way since then. 

what else… yep nothing changed. It’s an easy sport, whose got the most cash wins. That’s probably the difficult part of the sport, being able to earn the money to afford that toys. 

yep shit happens and things break - but overall it’s nothing particularly difficult with the right people.  

Anyhow “great to see the sport growing with 3 18yo in the race…”  

Back to the race, anyone have any models of trying to stay closer to land overnight vs staying east of the rhumb to stay in the breeze vs current? 

Nice!

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
Who is driving Comanche? Give me 5 min practice on the wheel and I could have got a better start. That makes 2 S2H race starts in a row that they've blown.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Eora is kicking arse in the double handers. Lombard appears to hit a sweet spot with Class 40 and Henry and OShea sure seem to know their stuff. 

The double handers are reinvigorating my interest in the Hobart. 

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I don’t believe boats with autopilot should be able to win - as autopilot tech has been on par with decent helmsman for the past 15years so I’d imagine it’s come a long way since then. 
100% agree that modern autopilots performance is amazing. 

But even Hugo Boss haven't made an autopilot that can 'see' yet. I don't see how it is possible for a two handed with a good autopilot to have an advantage over a fully crewed boat. Especially in these conditions, you'd need to be trimming every wave and that's just not possible with just two crew. 

Latest posts