2021 Sydney to Hobart

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
How do you get luff tension with no forestay ?
By using the sail as the forestay. I have seen forestay failures where the jib survives and holds the halyard and forestay tension. This gives you enough time to get a halyard forward and control the rig before taking down the (now ruined) jib.

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the draft in a jib shoot all the way forward and stay there like a coiled snake after a headstay breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
By using the sail as the forestay. I have seen forestay failures where the jib survives and holds the halyard and forestay tension. This gives you enough time to get a halyard forward and control the rig before taking down the (now ruined) jib.

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the draft in a jib shoot all the way forward and stay there like a coiled snake after a headstay breaks.
By this failure the forestay stayed intact but the attachment between the deck and the furler did give way so the jib can't help in this instance. 

Lol, well I’ve seen a stainless backstay go bang, it danced around the cockpit with a wire head the size of a balloon. 
That was exciting. 

Had this happen,  crack off to put pressure forward on the rig 

Last edited by a moderator: