2021 Sydney to Hobart

LionIsland

Pittwater
Happy Christmas/NY all. Another  interesting S2H even though reduced numbers this year. 
25/90odd retirees atm including the seperate 2 handed div. Yes, it’s incredible! There’s even a 2 handed Div these days with 17 boats and only 3 retired so far (what next??!! A multi division??!!) which they reckon they couldn't include in the overall results but will from next year which is a bit perplexing. 

For a Hobart race it seems like it has not been particularly rough but certainly not a milk run. 

20- 30 knots upwind with a couple knots of countercurrent so probably quite wavey and ugly. 

Not extreme but pretty bloody uncomfortable and lots of strain on all the bits n pieces including the human bits n pieces  

Was keen to go down and have gander but weather didn’t look so inviting. It would have been not that nice out there to go down there from Pittwater and try to follow them for a bit until turning around to come home so gave it a miss. The soy sauce for the sushi and sushimi might have shloshed out of the dish. 

Been ages since I watched it live on telly. I thought it was pretty good coverage. Probably could do with a few more graphics on screen for the non sailors to help understand what’s going on like on AC SailGP and American footy. 

Fun to watch with the downwind start antics and interpretations of vmg to the bottom mark and all the kite drops and code 0 furling fun and games. Just goes to show. Sailing- it’s  kinda simple but not always so easy and with the compulsory inclusion on each boat of crewman Murphy and his cousins helping out there’s plenty of opportunities for fuck ups. Even for the experts and well trained. 

They showed lots of non line honours boats and less fancied boats on the coverage which was pretty cool. 

I see one not particularly slow boat has only covered 70 miles in a day which is definitely getting maximum sailing time for its entry fee. Great value. But possibly will miss the New Year’s Eve party in Hobart at that rate. Hopefully they’ll keep them a couple of lobsters and some cold champagne for when they arrive. 

And that big lead to Black Jack atm. Surprising and impressive really to be that much quicker unless the other two 100 footers are backing off a little or having issues or just keeping their powder dry until it's time to put the pedal down. 

I thought Scallywag did so well to get its inner forestay sorted after it busted free at the deck just outside of the Heads. I'd love to know if it was a fixed stay or a running stay and what let go and what they did to fix it. I rated them a low chance to carry on. And it was surprising how little ground they lost by firstly turning down wind to get the sail down which I didn't understand how they did that unless it was a flying stay and then beating with just main and then beating for who knows how long with just the storm staysail up. Impressive. 

Retirees. 
Mainly ripped mainsails. Love it when cloth makers tout you the latest and greatest cloth. « This is the shit! » 
Then Broken stays 
Few broken engines. (?)
Hull damage. 

They should be ok for weather from here, it looks like nice reaching conditions mainly although it could go very light at times. 

I heard there was a shitload of boats with Covid positive tests results found out after the start which is meant to mean immediate retirement but I'm not seeing that in the retirement list and a bummer if you get a false positive. 

S2H. Always good drama. 

20- 30 knots upwind with a couple knots of countercurrent so probably quite wavey and ugly. 
Reports from competitors after retirement of going from 20-25 knots to 40-45 with horizontal rain, blowing out rigs and sails in minutes - probably a lot more than a light gale to bash 20 odd boats out of contention...  A couple of injuries too.  Most boats tacking down the coast if you look at their tracking, not many apart from the lead fast boats able to reach yet.  The covid test thing was sorted before the race - yes there were issues (the general population can attest to that), no it isn't hundreds of test results for competitors wrong or not correctly passed on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a delivery from Geraldton to Perth, you ride the Leeuwin current south but the sea breeze 25-30 is in your teeth. 
You don’t roll over the waves as they stand up and have no back so you just drop off into the trough.
Very hard on the boat. 

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Happy Christmas/NY all. Another  interesting S2H even though reduced numbers this year. 
25/90odd retirees atm including the seperate 2 handed div. Yes, it’s incredible! There’s even a 2 handed Div these days with 17 boats and only 3 retired so far (what next??!! A multi division??!!) which they reckon they couldn't include in the overall results but will from next year which is a bit perplexing. 

For a Hobart race it seems like it has not been particularly rough but certainly not a milk run. 

Not extreme but pretty bloody uncomfortable and lots of strain on all the bits n pieces including the human bits n pieces  

Was keen to go down and have gander but weather didn’t look so inviting. It would have been not that nice out there to go down there from Pittwater and try to follow them for a bit until turning around to come home so gave it a miss. The soy sauce for the sushi and sushimi might have shloshed out of the dish. 

Been ages since I watched it live on telly. I thought it was pretty good coverage. Probably could do with a few more graphics on screen for the non sailors to help understand what’s going on like on AC SailGP and American footy. 

Fun to watch with the downwind start antics and interpretations of vmg to the bottom mark and all the kite drops and code 0 furling fun and games. Just goes to show. Sailing- it’s  kinda simple but not always so easy and with the compulsory inclusion on each boat of crewman Murphy and his cousins helping out there’s plenty of opportunities for fuck ups. Even for the experts and well trained. 

They showed lots of non line honours boats and less fancied boats on the coverage which was pretty cool. 

I see one not particularly slow boat has only covered 70 miles in a day which is definitely getting maximum sailing time for its entry fee. Great value. But possibly will miss the New Year’s Eve party in Hobart at that rate. Hopefully they’ll keep them a couple of lobsters and some cold champagne for when they arrive. 

And that big lead to Black Jack atm. Surprising and impressive really to be that much quicker unless the other two 100 footers are backing off a little or having issues or just keeping their powder dry until it's time to put the pedal down. 

I thought Scallywag did so well to get its inner forestay sorted after it busted free at the deck just outside of the Heads. I'd love to know if it was a fixed stay or a running stay and what let go and what they did to fix it. I rated them a low chance to carry on. And it was surprising how little ground they lost by firstly turning down wind to get the sail down which I didn't understand how they did that unless it was a flying stay and then beating with just main and then beating for who knows how long with just the storm staysail up. Impressive. 

Retirees. 
Mainly ripped mainsails. Love it when cloth makers tout you the latest and greatest cloth. « This is the shit! » 
Then Broken stays 
Few broken engines. (?)
Hull damage. 

They should be ok for weather from here, it looks like nice reaching conditions mainly although it could go very light at times. 

I heard there was a shitload of boats with Covid positive tests results found out after the start which is meant to mean immediate retirement but I'm not seeing that in the retirement list and a bummer if you get a false positive. 

S2H. Always good drama. 

A wonderful summation of everything we already know.

LionIsland

Pittwater
Reports from competitors after retirement of going from 20-25 knots to 40-45 with horizontal rain, blowing out rigs and sails in minutes - probably a lot more than a light gale to bash 20 odd boats out of contention...  A couple of injuries too. 
Ewww. Ugly. 
I wonder what distance a bow moves up and down and at what rate on say a 40’, 60’, 80’ 100’ boat. 
Can’t imagine being tossed up into the air from the bow of a 100 footer (especially) like a pancake being flipped from a pan as the bow bounces over a cresting 30’ wave face and falling down after it and slamming into it as it starts to make its way back up the face of the next wave after the bow has  dropped away from you down into the trough is that much fun after 1000th time as you try to fix up one of Murphy’s little helpful fuck ups at 2.00am. 

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Farrk, good start nice beat east then tack south, breeze built to mid 20's then next thing you know is 40-45 horizontal rain, change to the No5, putting in the 2nd reef the leach splits, race over.  Luckily one of the crews girlfriend meets us at the dock with a case of beer.    There were a few retirements of boats around us with damaged mains.  Never seen it hit so hard and fast with no warning ever.  Sitting here with a rum and coke feeling for those still out there, the weather is absolute shit
What are you on Bill?

vokstar

Tasmania
Guess they - we - missed that one.
It could well be content that they got out of the boat earlier that on shore are just posting now to keep things ticking over on their FB, but isn't their rules that if you can't communicate out of the boat you have to retire? 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Per Sail World - not just a tracker issue - but all attempts to reach her via comms have failed.
So sounds like they have lost all or partial electronics..? Still sailing obviously but we don't know where they are and Hobart Tracker using deduced reckoning.?

HILLY

HILLY
Lake Macquarie
Don't they all have a compulsory radio check when passing the latitude of Green Cape?

CYC website "news" is pretty woeful, last official news was at 10am, and was a video recap of start, do I have to go to Zuckerbook to get the latest??

Great, the latest on Farcebook was yesterday at 9:21am, does the cyc even have a media section, if I was a sponsor, I would be pretty pissed off.....

So, once again Sailing Anarchy is the most up to date info, based on rumours, supposition, and the odd post from competitors, who are keeping it real, Thanks Bill E.

Latest posts