2021 Sydney to Hobart

LB 15

Cunt
random. said:
Something endemic in this sport are people willing to ignore rule breaking (if it happened) ... when it suits them.  They are the same people who scream like stuck pigs about the vaguest rule-bend when it could go their way.

I just hope that some of the posters here are never part of a Protest Committee, as they are incapable of assessing a claim without preconceived biases.
No but some of us on here have lost faith in the protest system - with very good reason.

Big shout out to Supernova (the first boat i owned a bit of) currently in 8th place.  Co skipper on board is Felicity Nelson, on her third attempt at completing her 25th Hobart!

Fabulous achievement no matter where they come!

Give them an extra cheer when they come in!

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
random. said:
Something endemic in this sport are people willing to ignore rule breaking (if it happened) ... when it suits them.  
Sadly it’s not just this sport. The Gliding Federation of Australia was pinged for cheating , had been for years, their excuse appears to be that everyone could cheat so it was a mystery why they hadn’t. 

Is it an Australian thingy? Who would have thought using Sandpaper on a cricket ball , on international TV was a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Well i will say that this thread delivers every year- Green cape declarations. Port/ Starboard's in the harbor, AIS turned off to name but a few. And all the shitfights of course. Even after the untimely demise of the worlds greatest expert on everything , the late Jack Sparrow.
Jack gone, you and Random liking each others posts, just doesn't seem the same a year on. Any truth to the rumour IB to be renamed Das Boot?

cbulger

Newport
random. said:
If the claims on the protest are correct, sounds like the alleged behaviour was about to launch a SAR chopper, adding cost and risking the lives of others in the search effort.

There is a possibility of course that there is a valid and forgivable reason for the 90 min blackout. 

BASIC PRINCIPLES
[SIZE=25.2px]SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES[/SIZE]
[SIZE=25.2px]Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of[/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px] [/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px]rules[/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px] [/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px]that[/SIZE][SIZE=25.2px] they are expected to follow and enforce[/SIZE].

But I'm interested, are some people here saying that someone breaking a rule should be ignored, because if you protest you are a cunt?
When the fellow protesting has a reputation for buying trophies and being a poor sport AND the only boat that he has technical protest against is one that is ahead of him - it is "reasonable" to speculate, that the protest is motivated by poor sportsmanship.

When the fellow protesting has a reputation for buying trophies and being a poor sport AND the only boat that he has technical protest against is one that is ahead of him - it is "reasonable" to speculate, that the protest is motivated by poor sportsmanship.
It’s the sort of protest that should ONLY be bought against a competitor by the Race Committee, not by another competitor. Still SHYR has history in this regard, who could forget the 1985 event when Sagacious protested Drakes Prayer for a PS incident at the start that they weren’t involved in, costing Drakes Prayer the race.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Ding. Ding. Ding. 

I'd be inclined to give the befit of the doubt but with this mob? You're a fool if you think that.

Regards,

An ex-fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
Yesterday on the complaint of Matt Allen (Ichi Ban), Noel Cornish (CYCA Commodore), Brad Kellett (Navigator Law Connect), David Griffiths (Whisper), an Australian Sailing appointed panel banned Mark Hipgrave (OSTAR placegetter) from all and any Australian Sailing events for 18 months (last 6 suspended if good behaviour).
Fuck!  What a bunch of cunts.  What an embarrassment to the sport of sailing, and themselves.  And now MA has lodged another self-serving protest to rub the noses of all other sailors in the fact that he is rich and powerful, and OWNS the sport of sailing in Australia.

One should be able to expect AS, as the governing body, to step in, but they are totally complicit in the entire travesty.

Pitchfork time!

Reading all this is really disappointing.After years out of the sport due to family etc I joined a small club,paid my dues,and have been welcomed with open arms by genuine people I am now privileged to now call friends.Joined here to enhance my knowledge and understanding and enjoy myself.Once again welcomed by like minded enthusiasts.Then you read reports about GRS and now this and it leaves you rather deflated.The only Comfort is that the good guys far seem to outweigh the bad guys.I could only every dream about doing a Sydney Hobart Race but to finish 2nd would be a proud moment.I would be the first to congratulate the team that beat me and would be honoured to share a drink and their company.Maybe I come from a different era or upbringing.

Yesterday on the complaint of Matt Allen (Ichi Ban), Noel Cornish (CYCA Commodore), Brad Kellett (Navigator Law Connect), David Griffiths (Whisper), an Australian Sailing appointed panel banned Mark Hipgrave (OSTAR placegetter) from all and any Australian Sailing events for 18 months (last 6 suspended if good behaviour).
All 3 are directors of CYCA the organisation that started this shit show in the first place! 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I've never sailed on a TP52 or a fake TP52, but I can imagine that at speed it is noisy as hell and if everyone was to be on deck, then you would not hear a call coming in. 

Maybe the CYCA needs to mandate all boats be fitted with a RAM in the cockpit.

Having heard several DSC distress alarms I'm sure that Celestial would have heard and responded to such an event without the need for a RAM or a person below. 

The protest against Celestial should be dismissed.

But, that won't be how the PC will work. Time for popcorn.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Fuck!  What a bunch of cunts.  What an embarrassment to the sport of sailing, and themselves.  And now MA has lodged another self-serving protest to rub the noses of all other sailors in the fact that he is rich and powerful, and OWNS the sport of sailing in Australia.

One should be able to expect AS, as the governing body, to step in, but they are totally complicit in the entire travesty.

Pitchfork time!
I'm associated with a group up here who occasionally organise unofficial shorthanded races. I believe MH is part of that group. I'll look forward to getting out on the water and sailing with him. 

I've never sailed on a TP52 or a fake TP52, but I can imagine that at speed it is noisy as hell and if everyone was to be on deck, then you would not hear a call coming in. 

Maybe the CYCA needs to mandate all boats be fitted with a RAM in the cockpit.

Having heard several DSC distress alarms I'm sure that Celestial would have heard and responded to such an event without the need for a RAM or a person below. 

The protest against Celestial should be dismissed.

But, that won't be how the PC will work. Time for popcorn.
Unfortunately the CYCA/AS usually mandates expensive fixes for these sort of issues.

Expect future SI's / RRS's to include the requirement for a full time, paid, independent radio operator for all boats. 

Latest posts