2022 cook it with fire and smoke.

Grabbler

Grabbler
So what kinda pox-ridden, mosquito-buggering, whoreson prick steals a bloke's grill?...Fuck me I hate a thief!!!...fuckin' mongrels took the whole kit and caboodle...hope it fell to bits in the back of whatever they ('cause it took more than one of them) somehow put it in...I'd had this BGE for 12 years...I know because I scored it for free from a contractor when I was still framing...the base was in 3 pieces and I "glued" it back together with refractory mortar...cart was custom built from a pair of 4" thick cypress doors from a remodel...it has been a faithful servant/part of the family...a man's gotta move on though so you Recteq Bullseye guys need to convince me I need to make a move away from the Kamado style cooker...Grabs Jr loves his Traeger but I have a vertical pellet smoker already for my long cooks, so really just looking for something for steaks/burgers/seafood/occasional butts...that $399 price point is reeeeeal attractive...

Screenshot_20220514-184834~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
So what kinda pox-ridden, mosquito-buggering, whoreson prick steals a bloke's grill?...Fuck me I hate a thief!!!...fuckin' mongrels took the whole kit and caboodle...hope it fell to bits in the back of whatever they ('cause it took more than one of them) somehow put it in...I'd had this BGE for 12 years...I know because I scored it for free from a contractor when I was still framing...the base was in 3 pieces and I "glued" it back together with refractory mortar...cart was custom built from a pair of 4" thick cypress doors from a remodel...it has been a faithful servant/part of the family...a man's gotta move on though so you Recteq Bullseye guys need to convince me I need to make a move away from the Kamado style cooker...Grabs Jr loves his Traeger but I have a vertical pellet smoker already for my long cooks, so really just looking for something for steaks/burgers/seafood/occasional butts...that $399 price point is reeeeeal attractive...
That just sucks. So many parasites in the world. Seems like more of them emerging. But I guess that’s not the point here. I know it’s more expensive but I love my Kamado Joe. I’ll never leave ceramic egg cooking. Sometimes it feel a little inconvenient when I just wanna toss a couple burgers but most of my cooking is longer slower and benefit from lump charcoal and block hardwood smoking. Would be tough to leave that. I have zero experience with pellet.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
That just sucks. So many parasites in the world. Seems like more of them emerging. But I guess that’s not the point here. I know it’s more expensive but I love my Kamado Joe. I’ll never leave ceramic egg cooking. Sometimes it feel a little inconvenient when I just wanna toss a couple burgers but most of my cooking is longer slower and benefit from lump charcoal and block hardwood smoking. Would be tough to leave that. I have zero experience with pellet.
Honest the best way to cook a couple of burgers is a small grate on top of a charcoal chimney. Same way I sear anything I’ve sous vide. It gets hot and it’s big enough to cook for 2. This pic is extreme, I put a chunk of wood on top of the coals to get the fire roaring so I could put a hard crust on that steak in a short period of time. But I have cooked dogs and burgers on it using less then half a chimney worth of charcoal. 

DCD58EA4-BA20-4762-8A8D-3C81EB970880.jpeg

Grabbler

Grabbler
"Illegitimi non carborundum"...fuck those thieving pricks...$120.00 at a Big Box...running a classic Weber while I ponder my future moves...some juicy little venison loin chops for the win ..

IMG_20220515_184951768.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Come on guys!

National-BBQ-Day-May-16.jpg

Today is the day!

1. Alabama’s favorite

Barbecue food is available at 8.27% of restaurants in the State of Alabama.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Come on guys!

Today is the day!

1. Alabama’s favorite

Barbecue food is available at 8.27% of restaurants in the State of Alabama.
Who made national BBQ day on a weeknight. BBQ needs all day to cook and to celebrate. Needs to be on a weekend. I barely had time to fire up the grill and cook burgers last night. That does not qualify as BBQ 

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble

View attachment 510091
That's just so wrong. What is it with some folks.....

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
    The towpilot at our soaring club was a career fireman in Savannah, GA. The Savannah Fire Dept is actually one of the earliest and is older than our nation as it was founded in 1759 while Georgia wa still a colony. The soaring club  does a BBQ and burgers thing during the height of the soaring season and he shared a BBQ or grilling anecdote with us from his days at the firehouse. He was assigned to the old fire station right above the bluff on the river in the oldest part of Savannah which is a really lovely historic place. He had a connection with a butcher shop that would provide them with the finest steaks and Sunday afternoons they would fire up the big grill in a small courtyard in back of the fire house. They would often get calls reporting a fire due to the clouds of smoke curling up behind the firehouse when the cooking reached its peak mid-afternoon but everyone soon grew used to that. Ralph had just given the first turn to the big steaks when a fire report was phoned in that one of the dormitories at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) was on fire. 

The whole crew suited up and scrambled both trucks and roared off to the reported location of the fire only to find a trash bin had been lit and was just making smoke with no threat to the building or students. The quickly hosed down the smoking bin and came out of action mode when someone asked Ralph if he had turned off the grill with the steaks inside. He realised that he hadn't and they left the final duties to the other truck and roared off under sirens back to the station and rushed around to the courtyard expecting to find the grill flaring up and the steaks fully carbonized. No smoke, flames or even steaks were found and it was soon determined that a couple of prankster SCAD scumbag students had made the diversionary phone call and fire in order to sneak in and steal the stakes while the fire crew was on the dormitory scene!  The prank paid off so well for the students they figured they could do it again a few weeks later but hungry firemen are a clever bunch and left a couple of the biggest meanest guys waiting in ambush and jumped the thieves and doled out some appropriate punishment. 

Now that is pretty low and it was surprising that the whole SCAD campus didn't soon burn to the ground...

ghows-GA-86f011f1-43e6-499e-b788-b38b1548d5df-aebb2f4a.jpeg

My lunch today.  Our new burger... not yet on the menu.  Normally served with basic salad and fries... but I'm dropping weight, which is fun to try whilst developing menus.

A burger is normally about doing stuff cheap with cheap tools and equipment.  This one comes out of the smoker we built... and we vac-pack the burger patties.  There's a few bucks worth of gear involved there.

Our Texas Burger.  Leaf, tomato and onion.  The patty is 150 gms prime beef, Old City Red Spiced as it goes into the smoker and then sauced halfway through smoking.  Vac-packed and then into a pan for re-heating when ordered.  Our own pickled jalapenos and our Texas Tenders (medium spicy) sauce... that we developed for the ribs - used to glaze the patty during smoking and then more in the burger.  I love it.  Just settling down our new cook and making sure the systems are still smooth and we'll launch it.

Oh yeah... this is a new bun.  I like it, but will test it with some regulars before switching.

texas%20burger%20bare%20copy-X2.jpg

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Tempers baiano Brazilian chicken

fresh picked asparagus wrapped in bacon

cooked on the Weber kettle. Forgot to take the on the grill pic. 

737667C7-8D21-411B-A152-B640B435870B.jpeg

F395

west mi
Sweet Tea brined then smoked chicken thighs over smoked potatoes, mushrooms, jalapeno peppers and onions.

Did you say a couple of butts?  We did two the other day... along with half a dozen pork bellies.  Had a guy today who bought a couple of packs say it's the best bacon he's had in this country... and he's been here a long time

butts-X3.jpg

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Did you say a couple of butts?  We did two the other day... along with half a dozen pork bellies.  Had a guy today who bought a couple of packs say it's the best bacon he's had in this country... and he's been here a long time

Looking good. Do you cold smoke your bacon? 

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
Love me some poppers!!!

All fire no smoke. Had a hankering for some jalapeño poppers, the local store only had the really big peppers. Which meant a little erector set action to get them to stand up. No heat but plenty of room for the cheese which was  50/50 mix of cream cheese and Jack. 

Damn fine result if I do say so myself.

20220602_185122.jpg

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Whole chicken on the Kamado tonight. Smoked for 1 hour with apple wood. Letting it rest before carving. Add a baker and some peas and we’re good to go. Of course we had barrel aged manhattans in the jacuzzi while the bird was cooking so we’re feeling no pain.  B)

918DC1B0-34DE-46BE-AEB5-F50778CB8B14.jpeg

Latest posts