Super Anarchist
I'll start. 

Red Groupers 

Punta de Mita, Mexico 

IMG_3876.jpg

tybee

Anarchist
around the bend
caught last week in a brackish tidal lagoon about 15 miles east of Savannah. 

GA Department of Natural Resources says they don't live this far north.

snook.jpg

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
I was watching Kevin Belton's Louisiana Cooking show and he did Tom's and my favorite, Red Fish On The Half Shell.  That got me salivating that maybe this year we will open back up.

The FWC is meeting in Tampa on March 2 & 3 and there is a staff report on Redfish.

What's the odds?

Redfish Management Approach. Staff will present recommendations for a revised redfish management approach that incorporates additional metrics, like habitat, and new management regions. The presentation will also include a summary of stakeholder input gathered through multiple engagement efforts, including statewide public workshops, that was used to inform staff recommendations. Public comment on this agenda item will be limited to no more than 1 hour.

Grabbler

Grabbler
Little Mississippi bass fishing trip...this fucker ate a bream a little too big for her own good...both muerto...

IMG_3047.jpg

Dorado

Super Anarchist
I should be 50 miles west of Ensenada fishing bluefin tuna right this very instant.

But right now it's blowing 18, gusting to 24. Swell 8 ft at 8 Seconds. I would have driven a 1000 Mile round trip, burning $6 a gallon gas at 15 MPG.

Fuck that. Too old for that shit. So I'm at home, grumpy as hell. 

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
I was watching Kevin Belton's Louisiana Cooking show and he did Tom's and my favorite, Red Fish On The Half Shell.  That got me salivating that maybe this year we will open back up.

The FWC is meeting in Tampa on March 2 & 3 and there is a staff report on Redfish.

What's the odds?

Redfish Management Approach. Staff will present recommendations for a revised redfish management approach that incorporates additional metrics, like habitat, and new management regions. The presentation will also include a summary of stakeholder input gathered through multiple engagement efforts, including statewide public workshops, that was used to inform staff recommendations. Public comment on this agenda item will be limited to no more than 1 hour.
My neighbor caught a 21 inch red off his dock in the creek the other night. That used to happen a couple of times a week. First one in at least a year.

In other news. FWC was actually up at the dam last night. Gave my neighbor Antonio a warning because he was fishing from the dock and his license expired a few days ago. Except for holidays, I don't remember ever seeing FWC up here in the creek.

Neighbor boy says the snook are thick under the RR bridge. Cast nets are on the long list of things I'm not allowed to pick up, let alone throw, since my hernia surgery.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Nice day on the water before winter starts way down south.

Couple of nice Kahawai and a lone snapper.

IMG_20220415_144535145_HDR.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Down at the creek last night one neighbor was catching catfish as usual but another was throwing a spoon and got half a dozen little snook, a little jack, and a little red. My wife, who has tossed a spoon where he was fishing thousands of times with little luck, was extremely jealous.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
I should be 50 miles west of Ensenada fishing bluefin tuna right this very instant.

But right now it's blowing 18, gusting to 24. Swell 8 ft at 8 Seconds. I would have driven a 1000 Mile round trip, burning $6 a gallon gas at 15 MPG.

Fuck that. Too old for that shit. So I'm at home, grumpy as hell. 
One one hand I feel for you and understand your frustration.

On the other hand, please forgive me, but I'm secretly happy that you won't torment me with photos of all of that nice tuna belly meat waiting to be devoured.

USA 007

Anarchist
Lake Lanier, GA
Did a little bass fishing in Mexico a couple of weeks ago.  Dad and I caught and released 715 bass in 6 days.  The biggest I caught was 8.5 lbs and didn’t even make the top 10 in our group...

B571D572-3C8B-4470-8287-FC6DE7EEEAA5.jpeg

C73E8A1C-E55F-4159-A8AA-DAA6DB07264F.jpeg

4030FC3E-AF9A-429D-9162-52BC5C2501D9.jpeg

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
random. said:
On 2/20/2022 at 7:09 AM, Fat Point Jack said:
My neighbor caught a 21 inch red off his dock in the creek the other night. That used to happen a couple of times a week. First one in at least a year.
Maybe they shouldn't have killed so many each week.

Can anyone else see the problem?
Not sure which "they" you think you're talking about.

The fish referenced in my post were mostly undersized and have been under a moratorium for years now, so virtually all were tossed back.

The problem here seems to be another ignorant Aussie who jumps to conclusions because he thinks he knows everything but actually knows very little.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
The FWC is meeting up in Gainesville on May 3 -4 and opening Redfish for us is on the agenda.  I looked at the picture rules page and it says we will open on June 1.  On the agenda summary it says that the opening is subject to the commission approving the staff's recommendations for new statewide rules.

From: Jessica McCawley, Director, Marine Fisheries Management
Date: May 4, 2022
Subject: Proposed Rule – Redfish
Purpose: Obtain approval to publish proposed rule language for redfish (red drum). 
Why: To modify redfish management regions and regulations as part of the new management approach 
that will better capture regional differences and improve angler satisfaction. 
Top Points: 
1) FWC’s new approach for redfish uses six metrics: habitat, harmful algal blooms, escapement, 
relative abundance, fishing effort, and stakeholder feedback.
2) The new approach also utilizes smaller regional units and Annual Reviews to consolidate 
evaluation of the proposed management regions into a concise summary.
3) Staff have engaged with the public on this topic through the Redfish Summit and several public 
workshops in 2021; the next phase of stakeholder engagement will include public workshops on 
the proposed rules to be held after the May 2022 Commission meeting. 
Affected Parties: Recreational fishermen, for-hire captains, and interested stakeholders across Florida.
Summary: Anglers primarily target redfish inshore, so an angler’s redfish fishing experience is closely 
linked to local environmental conditions as well as local fishing effort. Given this link and stakeholder 
feedback in support of a new management approach, the FWC is using a new approach that incorporates a 
holistic review of ecological and human factors. Applying the new approach, staff evaluated the nine 
proposed management regions (Attachment 1) and prepared the first Annual Reviews. 
Based on evaluation of the fishery in each region and public feedback gathered through multiple 
engagement efforts, staff developed proposed rule amendments that would: 
• Modify the redfish management regions
• Prohibit captain and crew from retaining a bag limit when on a for-hire trip
• Reduce the off-the-water transport limit from 6 to 4 fish per person
• Increase the bag limit for the Big Bend region from 1 to 2 fish per person
• Reduce the 8-fish vessel limit in each of the proposed management regions:
o Panhandle, Big Bend, Northeast: 4 fish 
o Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, Charlotte Harbor, Southwest, Southeast: 2 fish 
• Only allow catch-and-release fishing for redfish in the Indian River Lagoon region

Until the Commission passes final rules for redfish, staff intends to extend EO 21-07 for redfish, snook, 
and seatrout that affects a portion of southwest Florida. 

Staff Recommendation: Approve the proposed rule for advertising and direct staff to return to a future 
Commission Meeting for final approval. 
Staff Contact and/or Presenter: Erika Burgess, Division of Marine Fisheries Management

Dorado

Super Anarchist
One one hand I feel for you and understand your frustration.

On the other hand, please forgive me, but I'm secretly happy that you won't torment me with photos of all of that nice tuna belly meat waiting to be devoured.
We're having Hamachi tonight  . . .

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
We're having Hamachi tonight  . . .
In my experience Hamachi has a similar buttery taste and texture to O Toro, at a much better price.  My go to if I don't want to pay for the good stuff (if I can even find it).

Oh, and I hate you.  Can't get sushi worth eating where I live, I need to go to Berlin about an hour away, and I'm not up for much traveling anymore.

Having lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years I got spoiled for sushi.  I've had decent sushi outside of Japan, but I haven't found the variety or quality equal to that of Japan in any other country. 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Woke up to this nice fish cooking segment on PBS. I was shocked at the nice firm white flesh of the Lion Fish! I knew some Liburd cousins of the chef featured in the Virgin Islands. Never caught or speared a lionfish myself but they are really popular up here in the Pensacola area and there is even a spearfishing tournament and festival at the FloraBama.

https://www.pbs.org/video/eat-it-to-beat-it-6lf66d/