2022 Sydney 2 Hobart. 2h for Tatts

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
When do the crew lists have to be posted?
The official MA retirement announcement confirmed the veiled posts upthread. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall for the current boat after Caro smacked him at Hammo. You can't really blame him for not wanting to go around again - it has been a good run across Asia and Australia and any number of boats from Adams 10 to the big cruiser he started off with. He had a top crew - where are they headed to?
Yeah 100%. The guy has won the race so many times the novelty isn't there any more. There are other things in life. I don't think Caro is the issue the boat is still capable in a Hobart where crew work and tactics will play a bigger part. Also the win over Celestial wasn't too everyone's liking but also proved that many of these TP's can win the race.

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Super Anarchist

"Matt Allen’s Botin 52 Ichi Ban won three of the last four races. Allen announced this afternoon that he would not be doing the race this year.

“I feel like we’re doing a bit of an Ash Barty in a way. It’s time for me to do some other things. I’ve been busy with sailing and voluntary roles with the Australian Olympic Committee and World Sailing,” said Allen, who has four Sydney Hobart victories and 31 Sydney Hobarts behind him.

“To some degree I feel we’ve achieved what we set out to do with the boat. I’m conscious we’ve equalled the record of Freya and Love & War, and having known both skippers.

“I really want to thank my crews over the years. They have done a terrific job sailing it with me and helping to develop the boat. It’s been an enormous privilege and adventure and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, but it’s time to do other things.”

Allen ended by saying “I am leaving both boats entered in the race for the time being, in case someone wants to borrow either one.”

There you go!
Paying $22000/day in crew wages and getting smacked at Hamilton Island must have been a bit humbling.

dchs89

The official MA retirement announcement confirmed the veiled posts upthread. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall for the current boat after Caro smacked him at Hammo. You can't really blame him for not wanting to go around again - it has been a good run across Asia and Australia and any number of boats from Adams 10 to the big cruiser he started off with. He had a top crew - where are they headed to?
I heard he and all the sympathisers are fleeing to Argentina.

Swanno

Super Anarchist
MA not doing this years race: "Matt Allen’s Botin 52 Ichi Ban won three of the last four races. Allen announced this afternoon that he would not be doing the race this year."

Does no one want to sail with him after last year?

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
The crew will split over many boats... one being Willow
Yeah 100%. The guy has won the race so many times the novelty isn't there any more. There are other things in life. I don't think Caro is the issue the boat is still capable in a Hobart where crew work and tactics will play a bigger part. Also the win over Celestial wasn't too everyone's liking but also proved that many of these TP's can win the race.
Spot on Terra
Paying $22000/day in crew wages and getting smacked at Hamilton Island must have been a bit humbling.
That figure is way over. He pays less than most because he has a very loyal group of guys, some of which are not paid at all and others that work for him year round at various jobs including other boats and home stuff..... The 70 footers and up do....
Matt has been great for Australian sailing and is still volunteering his time over many areas of the sport......Not only has he ticked every box on his list but I would guess he gets a little tired of the tall poppy hate ..... I would

Last edited:

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
I respect your view PIL, but it's a bit rich for MA to say he's "sick of the politics" when he was directly responsible for much of the politics. He didn't, for example, have to push for a lifetime ban for Mark Hipgrove.

There are many tall poppies in sailing for whom I hold no "hate", but IMHO, MA brought a lot of hate upon himself - it didn't matter how tall he was.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
Let's see.
One Sail
Hipgrave
Celestial
Hmmmmm.
The Celestial hate is quite ridiculous.... They were pinged by the committee for a serious breach that went on that long that 2 other boats, AMSA and a rescue service had to take action. It was also their second offence.... I feel their pain but action was warranted
Similar to the Comanche hate where Oats tacked in their water....
That's high end racing
Hipgrove.... I'll leave that for others ....

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
With you on Celestial, PIL. Some of these posters need to see the interview with Will Oxley and get some perspective.

One thing that baffles me about sailing is the hate people get for going through with protests. Did you ever think that maybe there are so many arseholes on the racecourse because they never get called on their behaviour ?

(just to be clear - I don't think the Celestial boys were being arseholes... I'm referring to blatant rule violations like barging at starts, marks, that sort of thing).

Last edited:

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
The 2-H all electric entry, J-Bird has finally gotten it's rig in after a multi year rebuild.

Feels like they are cutting it fine as they need to finish it and learn how to sail the boat. I guess they will get to learn it on the sail to Sydney.

1669946500311.png

To qualify, it seems that they are using another boat.

J-Bird Sailing

https://www.facebook.com/JBirdIII/p...la24LszUUa7ca7uIqn0bg9eKC4s5-R0&__tn__=,O,P-R
·

Yesterday I did a 100nm qualifying leg onboard Jupiter with Ian Smith. This allows us to race in tonight's Cabbage Tree Race which will qualify us two handed for Hobart. You can follow us from 1900 Sydney time.
May be an image of boat racing and outdoors

6 comments

Comment

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
72 entrants for the Cabbage Tree race

2022 Cabbage Tree Island Race fleet

• ALEGRIA REPUBLIC
  • ALIVE
  • ANDOO COMANCHE
  • ANTIPODES
  • ARIEL
  • AVALANCHE (TH)
  • BLACK JACK
  • CELESTIAL
  • CRUX (TH)
  • CRYSTAL CUTTER III
  • CURRAWONG (TH)
  • DENALI
  • DISKO TROOPER_CONTENDER SAILCLOTH (TH)
  • ENIGMA
  • ENTERPRISE NEXT GENERATION
  • FLYING CLOUD
  • GUN RUNNER
  • GUNSHOT
  • GWEILO
  • HAMILTON ISLAND WILD OATS
  • HELSAL 3
  • HIP-NAUTIC (TH)
  • INSOMNIA
  • JOSS
  • JUPITER (TH)
  • KD4 (TH)
  • KHALEESI
  • KIALOA II
  • KING BILLY
  • KOA
  • LAWCONNECT
  • LLAMA II
  • LUNA BLUE
  • MAYFAIR
  • MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
  • MINERVA
  • MISTRAL (TH)
  • MONDO
  • MONEYPENNY
  • NAVY ONE
  • NO LIMIT
  • PATRICE
  • PATRICE SIX
  • PHILOSOPHER (TH)
  • PRETTY WOMAN
  • QUANTOCK
  • QUEST
  • REVE
  • RUM REBELLION (TH)
  • RUMCHASER (TH)
  • SAIL EXCHANGE
  • SECRET MENS BUSINESS
  • SMUGGLER
  • SOUTH BRITTANY
  • SPEEDWELL (TH)
  • STELLA POLARIS
  • SUN FAST RACING (TH)
  • SUPERNOVA
  • TOYBOX2
  • TRANSCENDENCE CRENTO (TH)
  • TROUBLE & STRIFE
  • TUMBLEWEED (TH)
  • UPRISING (TH)
  • URM GROUP
  • WHISPER
  • WHITE BAY 6 AZZURRO
  • WILD OATS
  • WILLOW
  • WINGS
  • XS MOMENT BNMH
  • Z7
  • ZEN

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Hopefully oats can get back in the game & put on a race with BJ. Comanche looking like a hard favourite in all weather these days. Got my fingers crossed for the charterers that it falls apart for the real owner & they end up owning C for cents on the dollar.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Hopefully oats can get back in the game & put on a race with BJ. Comanche looking like a hard favourite in all weather these days. Got my fingers crossed for the charterers that it falls apart for the real owner & they end up owning C for cents on the dollar.
Don't have any direct info from the Cabbage Race but Andoo smashed the other 100's particularly the RP100's Oats & BJ. 50 Mins ahead of Law Connect and 1 hour & 14 mins ahead of the RP 100's with BJ beating Oats by a minute. Interestingly enough Oats has put 2 very big names on the boat this year with Stan Honey navigating and Murray Jones. Any sort of pressure this year for the Hobart and Andoo could finish hours ahead.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Great Conditions for an over nighter and the Lombard 34 Mistral would have loved those conditions. When the going gets rough we'll see how good the TH's are? Before I went to bed last night Andoo was winning on handicap.. Obviously they slowed down towards the finish.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Awesome competition between several well sailed TH J/99s and TH SF3300s. That has to be fun racing when you have that many boats of similar size and rating going at it.

Latest posts