26 October - Day 1

For all those who can't watch live, the Melges class is posting race video to this YouTube playlist: http://www.youtube.com/user/IM24CA#p/c/350E57DB007DC3C8
For text IM24CA updates as well as the IM24CA video check out the IM24CA Blog at http://blog.melges24.com

Alan is working hard on the Live Stuff and it is great to have him here. As he told me the other night we are all working together to make sure the coverage of this championship is the best it can be. Between our IM24CA Blog and the Live OTW service those of you who can't be hear should be able to keep up to speed.

Hope this combination works for you all.

Kind regards

Justin Chisholm

IM24CA International Press Officer

THC

Justin:

Please do not take offense to this, but I would like to keep everyone dialed into the SA , its a sponsorship thing. I have heard from above that tmorrow will be vastly different in coverage.

Its funny, not really, but I ave a pile of cool shit to offer, but the way today's coverage went there was no where to really reach that many people at the same time. Until then,

TC

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Everyone take a breath please, and please remember that this is the first time we've ever done live stuff from the water. Despite testing it all out, we're still having issues, as are many of the folks that are at work trying to watch through firewalls, etc.

But please have a little faith. If we hadn't continually pushed the envelope, we'd still be banging a couple of videos up here and there. We have to keep trying, to keep pushing the technology ahead, or we might as well walk away from our vision of bringing live sailing to as many people as possible.

We'll do a lot better at keeping you all posted tomorrow, and we have an absolute ton of video to show you, interviews as well as Petey's highlight reel, which should be ready before too long. Just sit tight, and thanks for all your patience.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Stick around, all the video from today is going up in five minutes. We had some technical difficulties, which I guess we should expect when we pack $50,000 worth of equipment into a $10,000 boat, but we got most of the day's action...

nvpete

Minden NV
That is some good coverage they have both the top and bottom marks covered, the coherency is nice also audio seems better than otwa in the past could'nt tell if otwa will be any good this time cuz THERE WAS NONE

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
So here are the embedded videos from Justin.TV. These are archived clips of what was available to watch live if your firewall allowed it. When we lost connectivity for whatever reason, we lost coverage, so that's why you see clips cut off here and there. But tomorrow should be more or less sorted, and we'll be getting it all to you with a lot more chatter here, mark roundings, finishes, all that shit you love to see. Please let me know if you have any issues watching this stuff.

Thanks again.

RACE 1 INTRO

Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv

FIRST BEAT:

TOP MARK PART 1

TOP MARK PART 2

Latis

I just want to thank the butt heads that were driving some of the press boats at that second start for f-ing it up for everyone down there. what a shit show that turned into and unfortunately the video doesn't give the complete story.

caribou

chicago
I just want to thank the butt heads that were driving some of the press boats at that second start for f-ing it up for everyone down there. what a shit show that turned into and unfortunately the video doesn't give the complete story.

Did race committee say anything about press boats once on shore?

Latis

Did race committee say anything about press boats once on shore?
not to me, but we weren't causing any of the problems like some of the others out there.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'd be surprised if Jeff Borland doesn't have a word with some of the drivers tomorrow morning, caribou. The Euro photogs were simply shocked at some of the shit going on out there, and the big boat STAR and another press boat were shocking as they crossed in front of the fleet, threw wake everywhere, and just generally did shit that you shouldn't.

BTW, the Pixies are in our playlist tomorrow. I think our theme song is Wave of Mutilation.

When you see the vid on the melges blog from both ends of the line at the start of the second race one is left shaking one's head and wondering why they let that one get underway. Huge shift at one end of the line, that didn't seem to be there at the other end.

Of course I wasnt there and the perspective from the camera might be misleading. Any comments from the participants.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We'll see Justin, but it was definitely a rough call. I have a long interview with Hank Stuart, sort of the PRO overseer for the class explaining his thoughts on exactly this matter, it should be up shortly. Realize that Borland had waited 30+ minutes to get that start off, I think he just wanted to bang it out; if you wait for stable breeze on the Chesapeake, you grow old and die with a starting gun in your hand.

The big error of the day, in my opinion, wasn't the start. It was the gate of that race where the marks were about 3.5 boatlengths from each other. This let to a huge mess at the bottom marks, including some banging between Kristen Lane and another boat and a huge mess down there..

MR.CLEAN

Not here
As we've been reminded, the lifeblood of OTW Anarchy is this forum, so here are all the videos and interviews that we shot from the opening ceremony and Day 1.

The lovely Amy Ironmonger from Quantum Racing:

Bora's Birthday Party:

More of the famous Heather Evans Cake:

Some dirty dancing at the Cougarfish:

A little flip cup:

Freddy Kemp from the Barbarians:

Jonathan Ferrar on Sweaty Betty:

Brick House gets measured:

The OTW Team with a little testing on Sunday:

Ralfie Steitz:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Some more cougarfish action:

Todd Jones and the hilarious Mike Hoey from "I'm WIth Stupid"

I'm with Stupid heads out in the morning:

Simplicity Gets Ready:

Joe Fly and Simplicity Head Out:

Conejo Racing (with our sponsor Ned Goss from Ocean Sailing Academy) heads out, then Brick House follows.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Mer's first Slideshow of the event. I love these things that she puts together. The song is in honor of Joe Fly's bizarre Jackson 5 cartoon on the mainsail. We'll find out more tomorrow about this tribute. You can turn the sound off by clicking near the top of the slideshow.