3 dead in N2E

re-psycled

LA
Just saw on the news 3 dead on the race??

This is really strange. debris in the water. 3 dead floating crewmembers. NO explosion. No distress call. 10 am when reported near the Coronado's.

I can only think run over by a cruz ship??

This is really strange. debris in the water. 3 dead floating crewmembers. NO explosion. No distress call. 10 am when reported near the Coronado's.

Boat was Aegean, a Hunter 376.

Maybe a whale? You sure about no explosion or just guessing? I've not heard that.

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA

This really sucks...standing by. Are you sure...could it have been a propane explosion?

Last edited by a moderator:

re-psycled

LA
There had to be 20 or 30 boats around within a few miles. Somebody would have seen and explosion or some smoke I would think? A whale would give you time to grab the radio or a flare. If it was sinking it would take some time you would think.

Seems like a collision or they motored strait into the north island?

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
3 dead, 1 missing in mishap during yacht race

(04-28) 22:51 PDT LOS ANGELES (AP) --
Three crew members of a sailboat were found dead and a fourth person was missing Saturday after their yacht ran into trouble during a race off the coasts of California and Mexico.

The 37-foot Aegean was participating in the 125-mile Newport, Calif. to Ensenada, Mexico, yacht race when vessels near the Coronado Islands in Mexico reported seeing debris from the sailboat Saturday morning, Coast Guard Petty Officer Henry Dunphy said.

By midafternoon, searchers found the bodies and debris from the Aegean, whose home port is Redondo Beach, Dunphy said.

The Coast Guard said it doesn't know if the yacht was in some sort of wreck and is trying to determine what happened to it.

Dunphy said conditions were fine for sailing, with good visibility and moderate ocean swells of 6-to-8 feet.

That's a terrible tragedy, especially following the loss of Low Speed Chase. It's also chilling to have that happen in mild conditions, not terribly far offshore, and in the midst of a large fleet.

Oxygen Mask

Super Anarchist
Oregon USA
ENSENADA, Baja California, Mexico---Newport Ocean Sailing Association (NOSA) officials learned late Saturday that three sailors in their Newport to Ensenada offshore race had died in an apparent collision with a large vessel several miles off the coast near the border.

Theo Mavromatis is the owner and skipper of the sailboat Aegean, a Hunter 376 representing the Little Ships Fleet club, but it was not known if he was one of the victims. A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter led Vessel Assist to two bodies and later retrieved another. None of the bodies had been identified. A crew list was not immediately available, nor was it known how many other crew may have been on the boat, which is usually sailed by five or more persons.

The first indication of the incident was at 1:30 a.m. Saturday when the boat's image vanished from the online race tracking system in place for the race. A Coast Guard search was launched that led to discovery of the boat's wreckage, including the rear transom with the boat's name on it.

An investigation was continuing, but it appeared the damage was not inflicted by an explosion but by a collision with a ship much larger than the 37-foot vessel.

The race started off Newport Beach in mid-day Friday and many boats finished in Ensenada Saturday, with the last ones due in Sunday. Weather conditions were lighter than normal at the time and place of the incident, with boats reporting winds of only 1 or 2 knots.

These would be the first fatalities in the 65-year history of the race, in which as many as 675 boats have competed in 1983 and 213 were entered this year.

Rich Roberts

Press officer

Lexus Newport to Ensenada Yacht Race

[email protected]

NOSA: 949.449.4903

isma

Super Anarchist
That's a terrible tragedy, especially following the loss of Low Speed Chase. It's also chilling to have that happen in mild conditions, not terribly far offshore, and in the midst of a large fleet.
My thoughts exactly...but waiting on more information. Condolences to all affected.

YGBSM, someone just ran the fuck over them and didn't even notice? There were sailboats everywhere out there. How could you NOT know?
I have done Santa Barbara to King harbor and Marina del Rey to San diego more than 2 dozen times. I have had many close encounters with large cargo ships. These races are similar to the Ensenada race in that you cross the steamer lanes at night. Modern container ships are very fast. A sailboat is not a good radar target - if anyone was looking. If even a medium size freighter hit a 37 foot sailboat, they would not know it unless they were keeping a good watch. If they were keeping a good watch they would not hit the boat. I have a Birdell blipper radar reflector high on my mast. The windage is for the birds but it makes me look like a 400 footer.

bheintz

YGBSM, someone just ran the fuck over them and didn't even notice? There were sailboats everywhere out there. How could you NOT know?
A sailboat is not a good radar target - if anyone was looking. If even a medium size freighter hit a 37 foot sailboat, they would not know it unless they were keeping a good watch. If they were keeping a good watch they would not hit the boat.
One of the reasons the AIS system was developed is as collision avoidance for water transport, because often deck watches are not a vigilant as they should be at 2am and there were (still are) a lot of near-misses with ships.

Unfortunate tragedies like these will probably lead to insurance companies requiring AIS transponders on all boats traveling off shore.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
This would suck at any time, but so soon after LSC it really sucks.

Jut as a point of information . . . .

Race recommended but did not require ISAF OSR's and had minimal equipment requirements (see below), not including AIS.

But on a boat with at least 5 crew and a night with good weather, I would not think AIS necessary to avoid collision - one would think a good watch would be kept and a collision could be avoided.

The equipment rules were essentially:1.8 In addition to complying with their class and equipment rules:

1.8.1 All boats shall carry a functioning GPS.

1.8.2 All boats shall comply with Addendum D – Equipment Checklist and Penalties.

1.8.3 All boats shall carry at least two anchors of the size recommended by the anchor’s manufacturer, metal chain and line adequate to hold in adverse weather. Chain will be at least ½ the boat’s length. Line shall be at least 150 feet in length.

1.8.4 All multihulls shall be Ocean Racing Catamaran Association (ORCA) members in good standing.

1.8.5 NOSA recommends that all competitors comply with the ISAF Offshore Special Regulations for Race Category 3 Monohulls with Life Rafts or Race Category 3 Multihulls with Life Rafts. A link to the ISAF Special Regulations, and the ORCA and PHRF Equipment Lists can be found on the NOSA website.