3 dead in N2E

LISBS

1335810737[/url]' post='3693304']
1335809563[/url]' post='3693281']
1335792727[/url]' post='3692890'] AIS receiver Pt.Loma (shipfinder.com) shows OVERSEAS ARIADMAR (apologies for error in name in original post) at Pemex Terminal, Rosarito Beach, prior to tragedy. Her outbound departure/track to Anacortes is not recorded at marinetraffic.com until she appears approx. 150 miles WNW of Pt.Conception on 4/29/12 at 17:08Z. Since then, OA has been steaming N. at 10 knots. You can Google this ship for more info.

OVERSEAS ARIADMAR - IMO 9273624

502508.jpg

PAST POSITION

2012 May 1st, 20:00:54 UTC Anacortes / 2012 April 24th, 17:00:45 UTC Rosarito /

.Manager:Osg Shipmanagement GreeceAthens, Greece

That's a big f'ng hammer....
Probably Japanese or Korean owned..Panama flagged...philippine crew...That what most of the pacific ships are...
Where do you get your bullshit from? "3rd world ships" Tankers calling the USWC are vetted very strictly and many quality run vsl's are rejected for the simplest things. Please stop spreading your garbage, you obviously know nothing.

My condolence to the family and friends of the people onboard.

CowboyKell

Super Anarchist
inquiring Mind said:
AIS receiver Pt.Loma (shipfinder.com) shows OVERSEAS ARIADMAR (apologies for error in name in original post) at Pemex Terminal, Rosarito Beach, prior to tragedy. Her outbound departure/track to Anacortes is not recorded at marinetraffic.com until she appears approx. 150 miles WNW of Pt.Conception on 4/29/12 at 17:08Z. Since then, OA has been steaming N. at 10 knots. You can Google this ship for more info.

PAST POSITION

If my math is correct, that puts her approximately 370 nmi from the Coronados. At 10 knots, that would have taken her 37 hours, which would mean she would have had to depart that area at approximately 2000 hours PDT on 4/27. A little earlier than the time of the collision. Someone needs to check me on this. Of course she could have travelled faster for a time, but I would think they would set a constant speed. The other aspect that I've been wondering about is whether it is reasonable to expect that she would take the Coronados to starboard or take the shorter course directly inside the islands? Is there any restriction on her in that respect, such as is the case for her not being allowed to transit the Santa Barbara channel?

I would be interested to hear from our commercial shipping experts.

I know that she was not on the Rosarita mooring at 0700 PDT on 4/28, because we sailed directly through the mooring.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=538002284

This site gives the track and times every few minutes. No math needed. Except the UTC to local time conversion.

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
If I recall, the space 'tween the islands and the mainland there gets as narrow as six miles. Pretty thin, I would think........

LISBS

inquiring Mind said:
AIS receiver Pt.Loma (shipfinder.com) shows OVERSEAS ARIADMAR (apologies for error in name in original post) at Pemex Terminal, Rosarito Beach, prior to tragedy. Her outbound departure/track to Anacortes is not recorded at marinetraffic.com until she appears approx. 150 miles WNW of Pt.Conception on 4/29/12 at 17:08Z. Since then, OA has been steaming N. at 10 knots. You can Google this ship for more info.

PAST POSITION

If my math is correct, that puts her approximately 370 nmi from the Coronados. At 10 knots, that would have taken her 37 hours, which would mean she would have had to depart that area at approximately 2000 hours PDT on 4/27. A little earlier than the time of the collision. Someone needs to check me on this. Of course she could have travelled faster for a time, but I would think they would set a constant speed. The other aspect that I've been wondering about is whether it is reasonable to expect that she would take the Coronados to starboard or take the shorter course directly inside the islands? Is there any restriction on her in that respect, such as is the case for her not being allowed to transit the Santa Barbara channel?

I know that she was not on the Rosarita mooring at 0700 PDT on 4/28, because we sailed directly through the mooring.
Highly doubtful that a vsl sailing from Mexico to Washington would transit the Santa Barbara channel. Forgetting about navigation, California has something called "CARB" which would require the vsl to burn Gasoil instead of the normally used Fuel Oil to keep all the tree huggers happy. The ship would be at least 24nm's offshore California the whole trip up the coast to be in compliance and not have to use the more expensive fuel.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
This "tracker" on Aegean may have been a Spot device, in which case the signal's not going to be reported lost until a couple of timed reports are missed. Depending on the unit's settings this can be many hours. The accident likely occurred well before the tracker signal was declared lost.

Of course I don't know what kind of tracker they were carrying, but the Spot is probably the most common.

inquiring Mind said:

PAST POSITION

Highly doubtful that a vsl sailing from Mexico to Washington would transit the Santa Barbara channel. Forgetting about navigation, California has something called "CARB" which would require the vsl to burn Gasoil instead of the normally used Fuel Oil to keep all the tree huggers happy. The ship would be at least 24nm's offshore California the whole trip up the coast to be in compliance and not have to use the more expensive fuel.
You can thank Mary Nichols and her insane clown posse for that one. Stupid fuking cunt, she's probably done more harm to Cali's economy than any other person in this state. And people wonder why I finally pulled the plug on that gawd-4-saken Seventh World shit hole last month..... :p

Rondog

SoCal
Actually I calculate -7 hrs.

Good point.
That is correct, the offset between UTC and Pacific Daylight Time is 7 hours... So the alleged time of incident (1:30am) is Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 08:30:00 UTC.

So maybe possible? If I follow correctly it lands southwest of the island. Not sure of scale or distance. (32.1741 , -118.5606)

Last edited by a moderator:
not really.

while there is no proof that this tanker is the culprit, that particular ship is owned by a very large American shipping company
Yes, and as a publicly held company that is almost constantly buying/selling other companies as well as re-organizing itself it generates large revenue for certain law firms.
aint that the truth, but they wont be buying anything for awhie.

osg isnt that far gone yet, but all these private equity 'saviors' are leaving alot of

desperate shipping companies with nothing but their shorts.

Is this the boat people think was in the area??? That ships track is over 200 miles from the race rhumb line.

We sailed through debris about 2 miles due west of S. Coronado.
Yes; the port of Rosarito where this vessel departed from at around midnight, is just about due east of the debris field and the track goes due west right through it. As a part of the cruising classes Aegean could have motored to this approx location.
The MarineTraffic site is showing UTC time, does that still put them in the area at the right time?
I did not catch the UTC time stamp, but yeah it would be about that time (although there is some talk about twhen they actually disappeared from the "race tracker")

dinodino

Florida
So why are there 3 dead bodies and another person missing? Apparently it's got some kinks. Does AIS work well enough for the ship and the sailboat? Not everyone is a rocket scientist. It needs to be, and should be, brutally simple for both parties to identify each other and avoid. The current standard seems to have a flaw...
What a massive cock you are. Why don't you read something about AIS and how it works? It's excellent technology.

You should change your screen name to "Flarm."

1335817233[/url]' post='3693451']
1335816621[/url]' post='3693436']
1335810737[/url]' post='3693304']
1335809563[/url]' post='3693281']
1335792727[/url]' post='3692890'] AIS receiver Pt.Loma (shipfinder.com) shows OVERSEAS ARIADMAR (apologies for error in name in original post) at Pemex Terminal, Rosarito Beach, prior to tragedy. Her outbound departure/track to Anacortes is not recorded at marinetraffic.com until she appears approx. 150 miles WNW of Pt.Conception on 4/29/12 at 17:08Z. Since then, OA has been steaming N. at 10 knots. You can Google this ship for more info.

OVERSEAS ARIADMAR - IMO 9273624

502508.jpg

PAST POSITION

.Manager:Osg Shipmanagement GreeceAthens, Greece

That's a big f'ng hammer....
Probably Japanese or Korean owned..Panama flagged...philippine crew...That what most of the pacific ships are...
Where do you get your bullshit from? "3rd world ships" Tankers calling the USWC are vetted very strictly and many quality run vsl's are rejected for the simplest things. Please stop spreading your garbage, you obviously know nothing.

My condolence to the family and friends of the people onboard.
If thats what you want to think...I never said that they are not regulated by the US ...so one need to read..not read between

markp999

Everybody thinks that all mariners are rich and can afford all of these electronic devices that can and do malfunction or fail...if you and a ship on collision course at night..have you ever wondered what that white flair is for? They are normally with that flair gun package that you bought...AWhite flair is exactly for an occurrence like that...shining a flashlight or trying to contact on the radio... Or using this or that...some shipping companies cut their overhead with the radar off and one crewman on duty...and what if that one crewman had to take a leak or went off the bridge for some thing..you don't think it happens? If anybody is anywhere near an open hatch, or port will wonder why the sky just lite up...even for a few seconds..and will investigate..even those million candlepower spotlights don't light up the sky like that WHITE flair...lots of times when we sailed around a lot of ship traffic..we would have a loaded gun with a white flair already in it in one of the empty sheet bags..ready to use...but if you want to depend on all of these electronic devices..it's your prerogative...or a trusted used or centuries proven device? do you know that the military can and do turn off the GPS satellites?
Good points, Jack...except the last one. Selective availability (SA) is a capability of the system to introduce error into the commercially available systems, denying accuracy to the general population using Standard Positioning System (SPS), while the military receivers still receive Precise Positioning System (PPS) signals (Y-code) with a high degree of accuracy. The S/A error has been dialed down to zero since 1 May 2000 (by order of Pres. Clinton). If you're not getting satellites, it's due to coverage gaps caused by satellite failure. Maybe your tin-foil foulie hat is deflecting the signal? :)
I hate when you get jammed!

I've removed my post. Had you sent me a PM instead of publicly getting your vajayjay in a knot, I would have happily deleted it and it would be a non-issue.

pseudocrow

So why are there 3 dead bodies and another person missing? Apparently it's got some kinks. Does AIS work well enough for the ship and the sailboat? Not everyone is a rocket scientist. It needs to be, and should be, brutally simple for both parties to identify each other and avoid. The current standard seems to have a flaw...
What a massive cock you are. Why don't you read something about AIS and how it works? It's excellent technology.

Hey, Doc, Ludicrous has been pretty well worked over on the questions of AIS requiring radar and Flamm some pages back .... poor guy deserves a rest.

Dawg

Without reading the whole thread has anyone mentioned a Submarine coming into SD as the Culprit?? They have done in pleasure boaters in the past.

Imagine a Sub surfacing and splitting your boat in half without warning? pretty scary.

DoRag

Super Anarchist
Without reading the whole thread has anyone mentioned a Submarine coming into SD as the Culprit?? They have done in pleasure boaters in the past.

Imagine a Sub surfacing and splitting your boat in half without warning? pretty scary.
The sub surface zone was moved way, way out and the Navy tends to avoid exercises during a major cluter fuck like the Ensenada Race.

Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:

markp999

+1 to the good Doctor.

AIS is a brilliant system that requires almost zero operator intervention to work properly. Like any other system, however, you have to understand what it's telling you. With a solid foundation of relative motion, true/relative bearings, range rate, etc, it is a godsend. Without that foundation, it's likely that you'll spend a lot of time trying to match the true bearing/range to what you see from the deck.

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist

I think it's still a big no-no for our military to be dicking around in Mexican waters. Well, without a proper hall pass at least....