3 Little Billionaires - All in a Row

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Winning the Cup five times in a row is one kind of miracle - but getting three billionaires to go along with a single plan may be a greater achievement.

Before the recent competitor meeting - all the challengers were clearly annoyed and concerned about a venue in Bermuda and/or San Diego. Smaller markets - less wind - less spectacle - less sponsorship - and they clearly break with tradition in an event premised on tradition.

What did Coutts do to turn the tide?

Why, and how, did he get the two challenging billionaires: Törnqvist and Bertelli to go along with Oracle's program - what's in it for them?

I'll go way out on a limb here and claim that billionaires like to sail for the same reasons as the rest of us: it's fun - they like to have fun.

But they campaign for the AC for different reasons: prestige, competition, power, glory, and a shot at writing history.

So RC must have convinced all parties that to go along with the show would enhance their campaigns - but how?

- Emirates don't fly there, so we can eliminate the strongest team. Let's hope not.

- it's a tax haven. Russ actually gave a presentation on Federal and State income tax rules vs. Bermuda. Good luck San Diego.

- They could all become founding members of Russell's new sailing club - and enjoy the benefits early investors only are entitled to.

What is going on? Perhaps the alliance is doomed - and we should all be wagering on days 'till demise. Like an oligopoly - it's doomed to break. No billionaire is going to let another give them advice for very long.

Still, for the moment, it's a real mystery.

What did Russell say to swing the tide, and get four competing teams (including two billionaires) to tow a common line?

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
What else are they going to do? HIYC signed the protocol, LR and Artemis have apparently entered and therefore accepted the protocol. Protocol says that ACEA chooses the venue. It was already a done deal before the meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

edouard

Super Anarchist
It's just a vapid press release to try to make the organization look less of a complete fuckup to the sponsors with no binding commitment from anyone.

I find it interesting that besides the venue (which RC finally thoroughly addressed with the challengers and that there was anyways no point in contesting since it is the prerogative of the sole defender) and the ACWS in this cycle (which most teams were already sympathetic to), all the other points are about "the future", i.e. things that will anyways be decided by the next defender and CoR not some "work group".

The real test will be after August 8th when we will know who is really in and has a vote. That's when the meetings and their outcome will really mean something.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Veitchy said he has info that Coutts called Ainslie and bitched him out hard after one of Ainslie's less-than-glowing statements earlier in the month, and that's what led to Ben's big positive spin the other day. Interestingly, when you read those statements in the recent 'memo of support', only Ainslie is really positive. Sirena is almost directly calling out Coutts in between his praise for flying cats, Percy says almost nothing at all, and Cammas only talks about how Team France 'will be proud' to be part of the event.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Thanks - that's better. It seems that the two billionaires made a tactical mistake by paying prior to deadline.

August 8 is still something to anticipate.

Must Russell have four sign? He might hector BA, I suppose, but perhaps that's it: just three, unless he can count HIYC.

Lynchpin BA?

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Thanks - that's better. It seems that the two billionaires made a tactical mistake by paying prior to deadline.
I called that no way in the world would anyone pay 1$M a day sooner than they had to. It seems I was wrong but I'm still amazed. My experience of the wealthy is that they may sometimes be extravagant with money but they are rarely careless with it,

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I called that no way in the world would anyone pay 1$M a day sooner than they had to. It seems I was wrong but I'm still amazed. My experience of the wealthy is that they may sometimes be extravagant with money but they are rarely careless with it,
Your experience may be with the wealthy. Billionaires are a completely different breed. You think they really care about saving interest for a few weeks on a million bucks?

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I don't know any $Bs. I know multi $Ms who will drop several £10K on a party but never, ever pay an invoice a day before they have to and moan at paying minimum wage. Nowt as queer as folk.

YvesKlein

Paris
Your experience may be with the wealthy. Billionaires are a completely different breed. You think they really care about saving interest for a few weeks on a million bucks?
Whatever you do, don't bother to read the Protocol. You might see that the $1M is not due until 7 days after receipt of written confirmation from GGYC that the NoC has been accepted (Art 16.3) and that they will not accept any NoC's until they have 3 challengers in addition to the HIYC challenge - Art 15.3(a).

Let's see, can we count to 3? Don't even need to take off your shoes and socks for that.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Whatever you do, don't bother to read the Protocol. You might see that the $1M is not due until 7 days after receipt of written confirmation from GGYC that the NoC has been accepted (Art 16.3) and that they will not accept any NoC's until they have 3 challengers in addition to the HIYC challenge - Art 15.3(a).
Let's see, can we count to 3? Don't even need to take off your shoes and socks for that.
Therefore: RC just worked his sixth miracle?
What is he doing to get the billionaires to tow his boat?

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
Veitchy said he has info that Coutts called Ainslie and bitched him out hard after one of Ainslie's less-than-glowing statements earlier in the month, and that's what led to Ben's big positive spin the other day. Interestingly, when you read those statements in the recent 'memo of support', only Ainslie is really positive. Sirena is almost directly calling out Coutts in between his praise for flying cats, Percy says almost nothing at all, and Cammas only talks about how Team France 'will be proud' to be part of the event.
So Ben / BAR are the OR poodles for this cycle.

When BA comes out with statement ' We are really focused to help build a successful and sustainable America’s Cup for the future...' it really shows that; 1) he's been bitch slapped by RC, and 2) he's not serious about winning the AC at all.

bcopper

Super Anarchist
So Ben / BAR are the OR poodles for this cycle.

When BA comes out with statement ' We are really focused to help build a successful and sustainable America’s Cup for the future...' it really shows that; 1) he's been bitch slapped by RC, and 2) he's not serious about winning the AC at all.
That's right - he's doing this all as an exercise in futility, which his track record confirms.