3 Strand Dock Lines

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I know double braid is much nicer to hand but I've found 3 strand's greater stretch is more important than feeling nice momentarily and I don't have that inner need to color coordinate everything. So, replacing dock lines and glanced at West catalog. They have 1/2" economy line priced at $17 for 25'. Premium is $45 for 25'. 

I cannot believe that (likely) American line is worth 3 times the price of the doubtless Chinese stuff for this application. I'll shop around but the question remains is there any reason whatsoever to pay for premium? This is a 7K displacement boat so ultimate strength isn't a factor. 

This is just a question about pricing. In the end, I'll buy a hunk of spooled rope and make my own lines.

mgs

canoeman
maine
That’s a tough one, but the question should be: is the American rope three times as expensive to make? I think you can answer that. 

I would pay for the New England Rope line if it were me. They make sure there aren’t stands ending in the middle of the spool or other issues, can’t speak to the other stuffs quality assurance…

I called Hamilton Marine a few weeks ago about a galvanized shackle, I asked what the difference was between two and the guy kinda laughed and said that Wayne likes to offer name brand products. Probably some of that going on with west as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
The cheap three strand stuff gets really stiff with age, but if you replace frequently, who cares. 

If you really want the premium look, feel and you'd like to challenge your splicing skills, go with Yale Brait.  

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
The cheap three strand stuff gets really stiff with age, but if you replace frequently, who cares. 

If you really want the premium look, feel and you'd like to challenge your splicing skills, go with Yale Brait.  
Thanks but not sure if you read my post. The good stuff gets hard too quickly too, IME. The question was about pricing. I'm sure the good stuff has some expensive coatings but I'm going black and nylon is nylon, course I might be wrong about that. 

Find a commercial fishing supply vender.  You can pick up a 300' spool of nylon three strand for a fraction of what you will get premade or stock line from one of the usual marine stores.  I like being able to make my own long eye splice that works better for our setup.  I start at 50' several cut downs and end O's before having to retire because it's too short.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
I still have some New England three strand from a spool I bought in the late '80s. It is very nice stuff, dense, not loose at all. From time to time I'll give new three strand I see at the store a squeeze, even the good stuff doesn't compare to that old NE rope.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Thanks guys. Commercial chandler close by.

For the Braity Bunch: Lost a cleat due to a large powerboat wake at last dock. Several boats were damaged. One guy was injured. After this happens, ya start thinking about function over form. Shock absorption of regular old pedestrian plain Jane 3 strand is superior to the yachtier stuff. The good news is the cleat gave way before the stern came off. Probably won't after the repair. Wakes happen.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Brait has more stretch and better shock absorption than 3 strand. It's not even that difficult to splice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Used 10mm climbing rope. Can't splice it but so what.

Find a climbing gym that gets rid of worn ropes and beg or buy them cheap. Super stretchy and the tightly woven cover is pretty chafe resistant.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
That's news about the stretchiness. A quickie internet perusal indicated 3 strand is stretchier but seeing who's saying what, I'll have a look at the mfgers' info later today. Thanks again. One risk in getting old is so's one's information stash. I'm always here to learn.

I also don't have a clue about any line being stretchy enough to avoid the above incident but I was using double braid at the time. 

hoektron

Gulf Coast, TX
I got a full spool of this stuff from e-rigging: https://www.e-rigging.com/three-quarter-inch-x-200-foot-Nylon-Rope

It's pretty cheap, and after 1.5 years of using it as dock lines it is still looking pretty good in terms of chafe, suppleness, and UV damage.  Would def buy again.

Splicing 3 strand is super easy, one of those nice meditative boat tasks if you like that kind of thing.  Its cheap enough too that you can splice new lines every year if you really want to.  Very stretchy which is what you want in a dock line.

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
if going generic  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rope-King-3-4-in-x-200-ft-Twisted-Nylon-Rope-White-TN-34200/203563493

buddy was a manager at a HD and he had scored half a dozen reels when they changed vendors.   I got one and whipped up a set of custom dock lines which look like new after 10 years.

same line only cheaper at the Borg.   https://www.amazon.com/Rope-King-TN-34200-Twisted-Nylon/dp/B005TLWMHY/ref=dp_fod_3?pd_rd_i=B005TLWMHY&psc=1#customerReviews

For  an anchor line that may be needed in a gale, I would go with the brand name stuff.  For dock lines, this stuff will do the job.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
FWIW, WM docklines go on 1/2-price sale for a while every spring.  That's usually my cue to take a close look at my old ones.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
For  an anchor line that may be needed in a gale, I would go with the brand name stuff.  For dock lines, this stuff will do the job.
That's how I view it. I spent a while looking for stretch figures on ropes. Easy to find for 3S and double braid but I only found one that actually listed a % # which could be extrapolated to mean 8 plait was stretchier than 3S. That was from a reseller. I had to lol at the NER response to a phone # on a webside ... no longer in service. I emailed all the big boys for elongation %s ... no returns. I did find many anecdotal and ad comments to suggest plait was more elastic. I think the non-rotational aspect of the braid supports that. 

The deed is done already for dock lines but I think I'll try a plaited anchor line. I've got the shallow anchor well issue.