30th August 2010

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Looks like we'll have to wait another couple of weeks - this up on americascup.com :

Year, new fast boat and fair Protocol rules will be unveiled September 13th

Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 Organizers for the 34th America's Cup plan on September 13 to host a press conference in Valencia to reveal three of the four cornerstones of the next competition:

• The year in which it will be held
  • The new Class of Boat for the competition
  • The competition rules (The Protocol)
The objective for the 34th America's Cup has been to create the fairest-ever competition, sustainable to teams and their partners with transformed racing to attract the widest possible audience for an event planned for either 2013 or 2014.

A new, dynamic and exciting class of boat will be revealed. The year of the 34th America's Cup Match will also be confirmed.

Negotiations over the host city venue – the fourth cornerstone – continue, but organizers are confident of making an announcement ahead of the December 31 objective.

The Protocol is now finalized and will be formally signed by the defending Golden Gate Yacht Club and the Challenger of Record, Club Nautico di Roma, in a live-streamed ceremony on the official America's Cup web site www.AmericasCup.com.

WHAT: 34th America's Cup Press Conference

WHY: 34th America's Cup year, Protocol and new class of boat announced

WHEN: September 13, 2010

TIME: 1300 CET

WHERE: BMW ORACLE Racing Team Base, Port America's Cup, Valencia, Spain

WHO: Russell Coutts (CEO BMW ORACLE Racing Team) Vincenzo Onorato (syndicate head of Challenger of Record, Mascalzone Latino)

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Looks like we'll have to wait another couple of weeks
Thinking optimistically, perhaps a reason for the two extra weeks is to provide extra information on that date beyond what they could have announced today.

The design rules have been in work since June 23 and are due Sep 30. And so the class announcement could be accompanied by the associated rule? If it is ahead of schedule then that could provide good reason for holding off until it is complete.

Symbolically, the announcement being held in Valencia instead of Rome or San Francisco is okay by me, as in a 'meeting half way' between the GGYC and CNR gesture. It may also be simply more convenient for those attending.

The Protocol is now finalized and will be formally signed by the defending Golden Gate Yacht Club and the Challenger of Record, Club Nautico di Roma, in a live-streamed ceremony on the official America's Cup web site www.AmericasCup.com.
At least that part is announced already, it's a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariner

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
aaahhhhhhhhh. Don't these guys know we have to get back to work!!!

Very pissed this is not being done in SF, The BMWO base in Valencia is nice yes, but need to move forward.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
(...)

Symbolically, the announcement being held in Valencia instead of Rome or San Francisco is okay by me, as in a 'meeting half way' between the GGYC and CNR gesture. It may also be simply more convenient for those attending. (...)
With these maths, I'd like to have half of your cake... The bigger half :) .

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
(...)

Symbolically, the announcement being held in Valencia instead of Rome or San Francisco is okay by me, as in a 'meeting half way' between the GGYC and CNR gesture. It may also be simply more convenient for those attending. (...)
With these maths, I'd like to have half of your cake... The bigger half :) .
Ha, true. But if the Protocol were to be signed at the GGYC then maybe it would look Defender biased. And if you get literal about the distance then maybe they are meeting the CoR 'more than half way.' :)

With many of the teams European, quite likely many of the sponsors and AC event venues too, the 1PM CET timeslot could also have bigger reach than, say a 1PM PST.

It may also be better logistically for those attending beyond just RC and VO. Are there any sailing events near to there, at about that time? Could add to their reasoning.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
PC in VALENCIA????????? :eek:
I think you are reading to much into the location of the press conference Renny. Now if they stated they were going to announce the venue and then said they were going to announce it in Valencia then I'd be pissed, but announcing the protocol, year, and boat rule in Valencia is no big deal. BMWO's base of operations is still there as is a lot of other potential challengers. Valencia is still the capital of the AC world, for now. ;)

As for putting off the protocol announcement until the 13th, what a fucking tease. <_<

WetHog :ph34r:

Icecube

The objective for the 34th America's Cup has been to create the fairest-ever competition, sustainable to teams and their partners with transformed racing to attract the widest possible audience for an event planned for either 2013 or 2014.
And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
PC in VALENCIA????????? :eek:
I think you are reading to much into the location of the press conference Renny. Now if they stated they were going to announce the venue and then said they were going to announce it in Valencia then I'd be pissed, but announcing the protocol, year, and boat rule in Valencia is no big deal. BMWO's base of operations is still there as is a lot of other potential challengers. Valencia is still the capital of the AC world, for now. ;)

As for putting off the protocol announcement until the 13th, what a fucking tease. <_<

WetHog :ph34r:
I am actually not reading anything in the location of the PC. They could hold it on a lakeside on Mars (remember?). It is just that the clubs, which are responsible for the (protocol) negotiations, are not located in VLC. It is all so... so... so... bad style. Not more and not less.

kadyca

Super Anarchist
I thought the AC was a challenge between fucking YACHT CLUBS, not teams and their partners. I wish they'd at least give lipservice to the DOG.

Teal67

New Jersey
I thought the AC was a challenge between fucking YACHT CLUBS, not teams and their partners. I wish they'd at least give lipservice to the DOG.
+1

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Don't understand why you fine people have trouble connecting the dots. It'll be in Valencia, was always planned to be in Valencia after the lovely Rita stepped up at the last minute to help host the last cup. SF can't get its shit together and it'd be an economic disaster anyway. Nobody cares about sailboat racing here except the racers themselves and a few politicians trying to pad thier resume.

just sayin.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Don't understand why you fine people have trouble connecting the dots. It'll be in Valencia, was always planned to be in Valencia after the lovely Rita stepped up at the last minute to help host the last cup. SF can't get its shit together and it'd be an economic disaster anyway. Nobody cares about sailboat racing here except the racers themselves and a few politicians trying to pad thier resume.

just sayin.
There is an awfully big effort going on to make SF happen, Newsom has talked of phone calls he has taken directly from LE. The have Senator Diane Feinstein on a committee; Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House of Representatives (and like her or not, it is a VERY powerful national political position, in case some here don't realize it), plus a who's who lineup of SF officials and, increasingly, local mega businesses.

I do not believe even LE could be so Machiavellian as to put that many people through that much effort, unless it was his intention to try make this work in SF.

That said, yes it would be a lot easier for him and everyone else to run the thing in Valencia. But it would not be as good, or as 'proper.' Still, I bet Valencia gets some part of the coming action.

Albatros

Super Anarchist
PC in VALENCIA????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:
big surprise Rennie ... or big letdown, you decide,

Thought you were versed in the absolute minimum of P&R in which an announcement in Valencia makes totally and eminently sense, sort of like ....EXCUSING ME FROFUSELY, REALLY, the best place to proclaim the end of gaschambers would have been Auschwitz... sorry again, but if you'e're gonna ask this kind of ueber-naive or maybe ueber-doublebottomed questions ... that's what yer gonna get.

:rolleyes: