32 ft Trailer Sailer

Shu

Super Anarchist
This thread started on the Perry Sliver Class Daysailer thread.

The concept for this design is a fast, easily driven and handled daysailer with stand-up headroom for my wife. I want it to be capable for coastal cruising along the California coast. I like narrow boats and I like a boat to be well-mannered and quick upwind. The plan is to construct it of sheet plywood for the topsides and bottom panels, and cold-mold the curve of bilge or "radiused chine" with multiple layers of plywood.

Particulars:

LOA = 32.5'

LWL = 30'

Beam = 8.5'

BWL = 6.66' (at least for this version)

Fairbody Draft = 1.2'

Draft = 7'

Disp = 5,800 lb

Ballast = 2,000 lb (1,800 bulb; 200 fin)

Half-angle of entry = 12.3 degrees (at least for this version)

Cp = 0.53 (I want this higher)

SA = 465 sf

This is a work in progress, and I haven't settled on the exact shape yet. This is version e of versions from a to h. e is my favorite so far, but it still needs some major surgery.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Here is the conceptual sailplan. I think I will add coamings. I'm hoping to pull off a traditional look to the coachroof, even though the hull has a more modern style. I'm thinking of 3, possibly 4 rectangular portlights. There is a slight spring to the sheer. The sail area is modest. Currently the mast is positioned for a J of 11.5 ft. It may come forward a bit, I doubt it will move aft. The rudder is transom hung and partially balanced.

D11Sailplan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shu

Super Anarchist
Here is the "corrected" body plan, along with profile and plan views. No diagonals yet. Note that the points of max beam and max hull depth are more than two stations apart.

D11bodyplan.jpg

D11profile.jpg

D11plan.jpg

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
Lifting keel right? Lifting rudder too, or fixed? Lifting and partially balanced is possible, although it takes a bit more design and fab work. Are you planning on ramp launching or just cranes?

Could you lower the boom at all, it looks kinda high even for standing headroom in the cockpit? That may be my shortness speaking. Anything you take out of mast length is a bonus for raising and lowering

Is that a fixed backstay? I thought from the other thread you were going for a carbon rig, should be minimal cost to get a rig that is fine with no backstay unless you have a chute up in 25 knots. Less standing rigging makes mast raising easier. Rig looks to be about 35'ish? Should be manageable to get up and down with just two set of spreaders, and carbon.

Looks like enough separation between the leading edge of the keel and the mast to let the keel come a foot or so through the deck, if you wanted to. Having the mast pivot behind the CL of the tube also keep the gooseneck from belting the cabin top.

What will you use for a motor? Diesel or OB? 32' is enough length to do a decent CL well mounted outboard, with a bomber door to seal the hole. 25HP yamaha hight thrust is right on 200lb dry, whereas a sail drive nanni 21 is just over 300lb.

What are the plans for a kite? Big kites are great on little boats

2_2.jpg

This looks like it will be a great fun boat!

Edit: Now that I think about it, the bigger farriers probably have some interesting stuff for raising masts, Ian tends to sort his systems pretty well and trimaran rigs are bloody heavy sections

Grey Dawn

Anarchist
Annapolis
Shu, Hake makes the Seaward 32 RK which may be worth studying for its retractable keel mechanism and layout. Same idea but yours looks for light air performance more than cruising.

DSC01047-rot.jpg

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
If the rig isn't rotating, the Farrier system on the F-27 works very well. Essentially the mast pivot lines up with the shroud pins, so when you pin the mast pivot the rig is tensioned and then can be rotated up with no ability to move side to side. All the rest of the Farrier rigs that are rotating are more difficult to raise- my F-31 has a 42.5 foot mast and is a bit much to raise and lower. A fixed carbon rig that had the correct pivot line up would be a treat.

mcsailor0303

Anarchist
THE GORGE!
I can't find it now, but there was a 40' custom trailer sailor for sale not too long ago. It looked really interesting, and the ad stated that it raced the Bayview Mac one year? Does anyone know about the boat I'm thinking of?

Shu

Super Anarchist
Gybeset,

I really like the Hobie 33, but it has 48" of headroom and is tender. My wife is 5'7" and isn't fond of great amounts of heel.

Tom,

As it stands now, pun intended, the mast is 38.8 ft

The rig dimensions, as drawn and subject to revision are:

I = 36.1'

J = 11.75' (my bad for saying 11.5 in the sailplan post)

P = 34.6'

E = 14.75'

I plan on raising and lowering the mast very carefully :D . There were a lot of good suggestions on the Perry Sliver Class thread regarding raising and lowering the mast that I will consider.

Ranti:

Lifting Keel.

Rudder is partially balanced under the transom, so it would have to have a gudgeon/pintle arrangement as drawn. I have an idea for balancing a lifting rudder though.

The boom allows about 6' 2" headroom standing in the cockpit. I'm 5' 9" but my three sons are 6' through 6'-4". I may be able to lower the cockpit floor.

Fixed backstay. I want to sail with chute in 25 kts (probably not with my wife though!)

I like your mast pivot point idea. I will need that foot.

Outboard in a well with bombay door(s), similar to Henderson 30 or Bob's FT10. 25 hp seems high. I will see what the resistance curves show me.

Masthead Assym on a sprit. I've been toying with a sprit that pivots vertically on a point about 1' aft of the stem. A bobstay would hold it down.

Thanks for the idea to look at the Farrier tris for mast handling ideas.

Grey Dawn: Thanks for the tip on the Seaward.

Shu

Super Anarchist
Tucky,

The F27 system you described must use athwartship shrouds. I plan on swept shrouds.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I did a 38' Trailerable sailer about 35 years ago, almost plumb stem and open transom. I think I can say honestly it was a bit ahead of it's t,e. Frac rig with swept spreaders. I don;t have any of the old hand drawings digitized but I may get that done and post the here. I'll show you men can do with the old drawing gear.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Gybeset,

I really like the Hobie 33, but it has 48" of headroom and is tender. My wife is 5'7" and isn't fond of great amounts of heel.

Tom,

As it stands now, pun intended, the mast is 38.8 ft

The rig dimensions, as drawn and subject to revision are:

I = 36.1'

J = 11.75' (my bad for saying 11.5 in the sailplan post)

P = 34.6'

E = 14.75'

I plan on raising and lowering the mast very carefully :D . There were a lot of good suggestions on the Perry Sliver Class thread regarding raising and lowering the mast that I will consider.

Ranti:

Lifting Keel.

Rudder is partially balanced under the transom, so it would have to have a gudgeon/pintle arrangement as drawn. I have an idea for balancing a lifting rudder though.

The boom allows about 6' 2" headroom standing in the cockpit. I'm 5' 9" but my three sons are 6' through 6'-4". I may be able to lower the cockpit floor.

Fixed backstay. I want to sail with chute in 25 kts (probably not with my wife though!)

I like your mast pivot point idea. I will need that foot.

Outboard in a well with bombay door(s), similar to Henderson 30 or Bob's FT10. 25 hp seems high. I will see what the resistance curves show me.

Masthead Assym on a sprit. I've been toying with a sprit that pivots vertically on a point about 1' aft of the stem. A bobstay would hold it down.

Thanks for the idea to look at the Farrier tris for mast handling ideas.

Grey Dawn: Thanks for the tip on the Seaward.
Hey Shu, why not just a cassette rudder with some rake to give you your balance? I did that on my Contour 34 - had Phils Foils make it up.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Tucky,

The F27 system you described must use athwartship shrouds. I plan on swept shrouds.
Shu,

I recommend you stay flexible on the standing rig design. The world already has too many trailer sailor designs where the rig is such a PITA to raise or lower that the whole point is lost.

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
I did a 38' Trailerable sailer about 35 years ago, almost plumb stem and open transom. I think I can say honestly it was a bit ahead of it's t,e. Frac rig with swept spreaders. I don;t have any of the old hand drawings digitized but I may get that done and post the here. I'll show you men can do with the old drawing gear.

I remember that design Bob. Always hoped it would get built.

sam_crocker

Super Anarchist
PNW
Farymann makes the lightest weight diesel I know of, 64kg. Hurth saildrive is another 40. Just in case a diesel is an option.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Tucky,

Macgreagor, and maybe some other companies, use short, temporary shrouds maybe a couple of feet long for mast stepping. The idea is to keep all the gear that prevents the mast from getting out of alignment on the house top, and to allow the "real" rigging to be what the designer prefers.
OTOH, if you use a tabernacle to put the pivot axis four feet above the deck, you can raise the mast with a winch or comealong run to the heel of the mast.

IStream

Super Anarchist
And if that line is Amsteel or equivalent and run through a stout block at the bow and held in place with a constrictor or other reliable clutch mounted on the cabin top, it'd act as the forestay. Part of the PITA of rigging many trailer sailors is all the temporary shit you need to rig and unrig just to get the real stuff attached. Make them one and the same wherever possible.